Why are my Outbacks saying snoozing?

A place to post images of your OutBack Power System

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

Why are my Outbacks saying snoozing?

Postby whisperingsage on Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:02 pm

I usually don't think I have a lot of problems from my Outbacks vut sometimes I catch them doing something I don't understand. I don't all understand the manual, on this.
I have 1730 watts solar panels. I have 1300 watts of deep well pump. I turn it on manually with a toggle. On a fairly bright day, I was trying to pump, though there was a Chemtrail haze, it still seemed bright. Pumped 1300 watts into gravity tank, out of 1730 watts of panels, all facing south, max coming in normally 35 volts, today, 26 to 30 volts coming in. Not enough to run it 10 minutes, so had to babysit, let it charge back up and run it again until I get enough water into my tank. Only the Outback Flex 80 controllers (2, both of them) switched to "snoozing" mode and didn't seem interested in absorbing or tracking anymore. So I took a break to look it up. They are maxing the batteries out at 24, and not much more. (my setpoint is 28).
Not being the brightest bulb in the lamp, but willing to attempt to learn, why is it "snoozing" at 2 pm when there is fair sun out? When I am trying to use it and I need it? I can run our light duty lights and laptops as the power is so low on those, but when I need it for heating and pumping, is there something I can do?

I can't see where to change my profile, my system is now 1730 watts, almost 1000 on one controller and 730 on the second.
whisperingsage
Forum Junior Member

My RE system: Flexmax 80 MPPT 2 of them
two arrays- 40 volts, one is 950 watts going to my first outback. one is 400 watts going to my second, waiting on money to add two more 245 watt panels to the second array.
Wires 2 AWG welding wires to outbacks. batteries Walmart deep cycle, 10 batteries, wired 24 volts. to Power jack true sine inverter. Wires to inverter are 2/0.

Re: Why are my Outbacks saying snoozing?

Postby raysun on Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:37 pm

Your solar panels don't drive your loads, they provide power to charge your battery, which in turn drives your loads. The charge controllers, of course, provide the "smarts" to take the power produced by the panels and use it to properly charge the battery. The electro-chemical reaction that charges the battery is a tricky thing to control. Charge controllers must provide a careful balancing act between harvesting the often highly variable electrical energy produced by the solar panels and delivering as consistent charging energy as possible, all the while adjusting that energy to match the needs of the battery during each phase of charging. All this must be done while the battery is providing power to loads.

The charge controller will NOT provide charging power to the battery if it thinks the battery is already sufficiently charged. This is to prevent over-charging. The charge controllers may go into snooze mode if they think the battery needs no further charge.

If there is not sufficient energy in the battery to drive the loads, it may be that the battery is simply too small, or has been worn out or damaged to the point that it simply cannot accept enough charge.

If the battery is new, healthy, and known to have sufficient capacity, it may be settings in the charge controller are preventing it from being fully charged.

The solar panels may also not be providing enough energy to charge the battery properly. If they are producing less voltage than the battery's voltage, then the charge controller will shut down (snooze). Besides Chemtrails, other shadowing on the panels will drastically reduce output. Are there, for example, Black Helicopters hovering overhead and shadowing the panels?
raysun
Forum Expert

My RE system: Flexpower One: FX3048T, MX80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
Outback 200NC batteries (8 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
Suniva 330 watt panels (12 - 4Sx3P)

Postby petertearai on Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:41 pm

snoozing is when the light input into the pv dosnt provide enough voltage to charge . .. so a problem with a panel or just not enough light .
2220 pv. fm80. 4times rolls 450 ah 24 volts. victron battery monitor. outback fxr 2000 watt inverter
petertearai
Forum Guru

My RE system: 2220 watt pv, fm80, outback fxr 2000 watt inverter. Rolls s600 times 4 24 volt system victron battery moniter. optics RE

Postby blackswan555 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:36 am

max coming in normally 35 volts, today, 26 to 30 volts coming in,,They are maxing the batteries out at 24, and not much more. (my setpoint is 28).

You have your panels wired incorrectly, They need to be re done so that you get a VMP of approx 50 to 60 volts,
MMPT chargers do not start to work untill about 3v above battery voltage and get most efficient at about 150% of bat voltage,

Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
Forum Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Postby whisperingsage on Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:57 pm

Thanks guys. Most of my panels are 245 watts, 44 volts, and are wired in parallel. I have 3 older kyoceras that are 12 volts each (usually give me 18 volts each ) that are in series together to be roughly equivalent to one of the newer big ones. (so 36 to 54 volts). The series wires are al least 10 AWG on that section. I do my own wiring and mistakes and LEARNING EXPERIENCES as there is NO One out here that does this. I have been doing this and making my mistakes since 1990. Even my husband doesn't want to learn.

Like I said, that day was fairly bright, much brighter that the winter clouds from the whole month before. And I had a 1500 load on it.
It could be the batteries and I am not pleased with that prospect. I have 10 to replace. And not working and bringing in much money right now.
As for the black helicopters, I live right next to an Army base and they do a lot of stop and goes with C130's but not much black helicopters. We did have a close fire this summer and had a huge one come and save our farm (1/2 moile away) with the wetting agents and blowing the fire away from us. I was ready to set the goats loose and walk them down to the lake.
And our other helicopters when I first moved here were white and red ones they named Eclipse 1 and Eclipse 2, I later worked on the base cleaning buildings and the pilot was a flirt. (Jim Beaulough) He later ran for an office in Reno NV, he used to fly the base fenceline just for security. When I first moved here he came pretty close just because My place was something new and different. But I am friends with most people that worked there, because I went to work there to clean their buildings. And I later married a Pastor that works out there for his secular job. So joke as you want, but these folks are my friends and I am a part of their community and they are a part of mine. I have gained a lot of respect for the military since moving here. My husband was 10 years Navy. Early on I worked at the Mess hall for the 980th MP company. I also cleaned for the Air Force Combat Ammunition Center in the early 90's before they moved their outfit to Marysville. They treated me very well, I cleaned houses for some of them when they moved away and needed quarters cleaned. I cleaned house for one's family while he lived and worked there and when he retired he retrained as an RN and encouraged me to go into nursing. He retired from nursing recently now and moved away. So joke all you want. These are real people and I know and love them.
whisperingsage
Forum Junior Member

two arrays- 40 volts, one is 950 watts going to my first outback. one is 400 watts going to my second, waiting on money to add two more 245 watt panels to the second array.
Wires 2 AWG welding wires to outbacks. batteries Walmart deep cycle, 10 batteries, wired 24 volts. to Power jack true sine inverter. Wires to inverter are 2/0.

Postby whisperingsage on Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:28 pm

Today it did it again. Off grid
I had 5000 lumens of light.
My volts in was 35, volts out 26. I turned on my well pump (115 volts, 1300 surge, 800 continuous) and both controllers went into "snooze". I have 1730 watts in panels, roughly 35 volts out. Wired parallel, 4 awg. They WORKED FINE last year until we lost sun in winter. Even then they didn't go into "snooze" when I ran my pump. The 10 batteries are full on water, are testing at 13-14 volts each. Are series wired to a 24 volt system. I do my own wiring. Would love someone with some brains to look and see what is wrong, but I could run my pump for 4 hours a day last summer, to irrigate.
whisperingsage
Forum Junior Member

Postby David LeBow on Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:31 pm

My Optics Site Name: I don't know what that is.

Have you connected your system to OpticsRE? If so, you have a "Profile" which can contain one or more "Sites" each which can contain one or more "Systems". The controller (AXS Port, Mate3, Mate3S) will communicate to OpticsRE in the cloud to give you (and, as required, us) some visibility into the configuration and status of the system.

Here's a link to some additional information on OpticsRE: http://www.outbackpower.com/outback-pro ... nd-control
David LeBow
Vice President, Software Engineering

Alpha Technologies Inc. / OutBack Power Technologies
3767 Alpha Way Bellingham WA 98226 USA
http://www.alpha.com
David LeBow
OutBack Management

Postby raysun on Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:20 pm

A thought from far afield. Have you checked the Snooze Amps setting on the controller?
raysun
Forum Expert

My RE system: Flexpower One: FX3048T, MX80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
Outback 200NC batteries (8 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
Suniva 330 watt panels (12 - 4Sx3P)

Postby petertearai on Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:51 am

snooze only comes into play when voltage is low . during the charge cycle first is bulk . then once the bulk voltage that has been set in your settings has been reached it will change to absorb. the duration of absorb is either determined by the absorb time set , or the end amps set . The nect stage is float or floating . it will stay in float to end of day . it should not go to snooze untill the light is too low . so I think you need to check out your voltage in . ie panels . from my experience I had to go to 88 volts in for my 24 volt system to work well.
2220 pv. fm80. 4times rolls 450 ah 24 volts. victron battery monitor. outback fxr 2000 watt inverter
petertearai
Forum Guru

My RE system: 2220 watt pv, fm80, outback fxr 2000 watt inverter. Rolls s600 times 4 24 volt system victron battery moniter. optics RE

Postby petertearai on Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:59 am

petertearai
Forum Guru

Return to My OutBack Power System