Notes on installing a four-tier PSR

Discussion about the Power System Rack (PSR)
This Forum has been closed

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

Kent Osterberg
Forum Emperor
My RE system: SMA Sunny Boy 2500 with eight Mobil Solar Ra 180 modules

Notes on installing a four-tier PSR

Post by Kent Osterberg » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:20 am

Here are some observations about installing four Concorde PVX-2580 Sunextender batteries in a four-tier configuration as shown in the PSR gallery http://www.outbackpower.com/PSRGallery/index.htm.

1. This really isn't a project for the faint of heartImage

2. To install four PVX-2580s in the four-tier configuration, the PSR is assembled around the batteries. To remove the batteries, the PSR must be disassembledImage

3. You cannot assemble/disassemble a four-tier configuration below a PS2.

4. You cannot assemble/disassemble a four-tier configuration in the corner of a room.

5. You cannot assemble/disassemble a four-tier configuration and use the top KO on the PSR.

6. You'll need to install 1"x1" or 2"x2" strips on the plywood shelves to prevent the batteries from sliding. Otherwise, a battery terminal could come in contact with a shelf bracket.

7. It would be a good idea to put a piece of plywood in the top panel of the PSR to prevent an accidental short directly across the terminals of the top battery.

8. The PSR-SZ4 seismic kit is highly recommended. The electrical inspector will probably require some kind of support that will prevent the PSR from tipping over.

9. Concorde PVX-2120 batteries are a little narrower than the PVX-2580 and could be installed in the PSR by lowering them through the shelf brackets. This would be a little less effort than assembling the PSR around the batteries. Still, this only works if there is nothing above the PSR and the top KO isn't used.

Scott Payne

Post by Scott Payne » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:50 am

Kent,
Thanks for the feedback. You are correct, the PSR in a four-tier configurations is a bear to assemble. When I finish re-doing our product pages, I'll have to include your observations.

Scott Payne

Kent Osterberg
Forum Emperor
My RE system: SMA Sunny Boy 2500 with eight Mobil Solar Ra 180 modules

Field modification of PSR shelf bracket

Post by Kent Osterberg » Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:42 am

Scott,

For the purpose of simplifing the assembly and disassembly of the PSR in the four-tier configuration, would it be acceptable to cut the front shelf bracket in the corner, making the front and side into separate shelf brackets? It seems like it would still be structurally sound and, since the side panel wouldn't need to be accessable, it would allow the system to have two adjacent PSR enclosures. Thanks for your feedback.

Kent

Scott Payne

Post by Scott Payne » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:10 am

I don't see why you couldn't do that, but then again I'm just an electrical guy :twisted: I asked Robin to chime in here, he's the one who designed the PSR.

Scott