What's the PSR?

Discussion about the Power System Rack (PSR)
This Forum has been closed

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

ericwahl
Forum Guru
My RE system: (9) SW230mono, XW-60-MPPT, SW5548

What's the PSR?

Post by ericwahl » Fri Jun 21, 2002 1:46 pm

Hi-
When you get back from the fair,
In the photo of the PSR-FO with the 8 red batteries, are those T-105 or L-16?
http://www.outbackpower.com/psr.htm

I can't help thinking the rack looks a little tall for one level of L-16, and a little short for 2 levels. How about one box for 8 or 16 L-16/S530 ?
Or is 8D the way to go now? I'm so behind the times.
With bottom, side, and top insulation of course.

Thanks,
Eric

Christopher

What's the PSR?

Post by Christopher » Sun Jun 30, 2002 4:11 pm

The PSR was originally designed to house smaller batteries - not the L16s. The only version that handles them well is the "frame only" version PSR-FO. Some installer are using the PSR-FO and then making a plywood cover that is removeable for servicing. Since you can put the L16s on two levels, they take up less floor space.

The PSR is designed to allow for the addition of insulation by the installer. Standard 1" thick styrofoam fits very nicely and is easy to get. The outdoor kit for the PSR includes an insulated top to prevent condensation from dripping onto the electronics/batteries inside.

I do not advocate using the 8D batteries usually. Concorde offers the Group 31 batteries in both 6 and 12 vdc with a 105 AH rating. If you do not want to use sealed batteries, then I usually suggest a golf cart battery as they are the best bang for the buck. On larger systems (more than 16 batteries) I would go to L16s or larger 2 volt type batteries.

BTW - the PSR will fit up to EIGHT of the new FX2000 inverters with only one additional shelf kit required (and no mounting plate needed). Look for some pictures on the web soon of this and other configurations.

<small>[ June 30, 2002, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: Christopher Freitas ]</small>

Dave Palumbo
Forum Member

What's the PSR?

Post by Dave Palumbo » Sun Mar 16, 2003 3:46 pm

Christopher,

I do not see any pictures on your site yet of the FX2024 used with your PSR?

I would like to know how this rack is working out for your dealers?

I am designing a small system for an island cottage in Trinidad. With 4 Concorde PVX 1040T AGM batteries. Is there enough room for 1 FX2024 inverter and a C40 controller on a PSR-MP inside the enclosure? It looks like the 175A breaker and the two 40A pv array breakers would be directly in front of the FX.
Is the spill containment tray agood idea even for AGM batteries?
What PSR options would I want with this system?

Best,

Dave Palumbo

Christopher

What's the PSR?

Post by Christopher » Thu Mar 20, 2003 1:27 pm

David - Yes the PSR works great with the FX inverter. We have taken the photos but are working on our next catalog and haven't added them to the website yet.

The PSR-MP (PSR mounting plate) allows mounting of a FX and a MX60 controller (or C40 - same mounting holes and knockout locations - funny how that is...). There is also room for up to 4 of the Concorde 100 amphour 12V batteries in the lower part of the enclosure still. If you add another shelf you can even have 8 of the group 31 batteries with the inverter/controller.

The bracket on the front holds up to five of the small DC breakers and one of the large breakers (100/175/250).

The spill containment tray is not required with sealed batteries - but there are some UBC type standards that may require them with sealed batteries.

The only other option for this would be a siesmic mounting kit if required - it also allows you to mount the PSR down to the ground permanently.

Hope this helps.

Christopher

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Dave Palumbo:
<strong>Christopher,

I do not see any pictures on your site yet of the FX2024 used with your PSR?

I would like to know how this rack is working out for your dealers?

I am designing a small system for an island cottage in Trinidad. With 4 Concorde PVX 1040T AGM batteries. Is there enough room for 1 FX2024 inverter and a C40 controller on a PSR-MP inside the enclosure? It looks like the 175A breaker and the two 40A pv array breakers would be directly in front of the FX.
Is the spill containment tray agood idea even for AGM batteries?
What PSR options would I want with this system?

Best,

Dave Palumbo</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

sunwind

What's the PSR?

Post by sunwind » Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:04 am

Hi Christopher,
I'm working on a small cottage system where mounting the FX, controller & batteries in a PSR seems like a great option. I'd like to send my customer a pic of such an installation, like the partial photo in the catalog. The website only has examples using an SW. Can you please have the new pic(s) posted, or send via email?
Thanks,
-Kelly

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Christopher Freitas:
[QB]David - Yes the PSR works great with the FX inverter. We have taken the photos but are working on our next catalog and haven't added them to the website yet.

ericwahl
Forum Guru
My RE system: (9) SW230mono, XW-60-MPPT, SW5548

What's the PSR?

Post by ericwahl » Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:57 pm

I just built one w/ 8 batts and a DR. Fit perfectly. With 4 batts you'd have lots of room.

Went together very nicely.

I only took one photo:
http://www.solarblog.com/datas/users/1-psr-1.jpg

[img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

boB

What's the PSR?

Post by boB » Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:48 am

Here's a picture of an outdoor PSR installation that was sent to Christopher... Until we have our own spot to post pix of installations, I'll just put it up on my personal web site for now...
Let me know if you would like a higher res picture than this scaled down one.
boB

http://www.eskimo.com/~bgudgel/PSR_outdoors.jpg

<small>[ November 01, 2003, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: boB Gudgel ]</small>

shastatodd
Forum Expert
My RE system: SYSTEM ONE:
A single, turbocharged GVFX-3648 inverter (includes DT kludge for generator charging); 4.5 kW STC of actively tracked PV; turbocharged FM80 charge controller; eight, Surrette FC-420 lead calcium wet cell batteries; E-Meter (Link-10).

SYSTEM TWO:
A single, sealed GTFX-2524 inverter; 2.0 kW STC of actively tracked PV; turbocharged FM60 charge controller; four, Surrette FC-420 lead calcium wet cell batteries; E-Meter (Link-10).

The combined inverter systems typically sell an average of 20 kWh/day.
Peak summer selling is around 40 kWh/day.

What's the PSR?

Post by shastatodd » Sat May 01, 2004 4:39 pm

Is it possible to buy just the green plastic anti-spill pans that you use in the battery holder? I am putting my batteries on the floor and just need spill containment. If you cannot sell these can you direct me to who makes these for you so I might inquire directly with them?

Thanks,

Todd

Scott Payne

What's the PSR?

Post by Scott Payne » Mon May 03, 2004 9:21 am

Those pans have an OutBack part number of PSR-SCT (for spill containment tray). They our on our price list for $29 apiece.

Any of our distributors should have these in stock.

Scott