New to PV...Houseboat system

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Marine Applications

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

New to PV...Houseboat system

Postby sherm2954 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:20 pm

Hello all. forgive my complete lack of knowledge re PV systems. I inherited one when I bought my houseboat. Here's the problem....
The system is 3 kyocera panels running to a solar commander controller. They feed power to a bank of four 12v Kirkland deep cycle marine batteries. those are tied into an outback FX inverter that is controlled by a Mate2M.
I have no idea...and haven't been able to find any information on the proper set points for float, absorb, etc.

I can navigate through the Mate2M and make the changes, but I don't know what settings to use. There's all kinds of oddball math re: amp hours, load, etc.

All I know is
1. Electricity is invisible (most of the time)
2. Electricity is visible (when it's trying to kill you)
3. I don't want to fry my system or my batteries (ever)
4. I need help (always)

Even directions to an "intro to pv for dumbasses" would be great.

Thank you
sherm2954

My RE system: Houseboat system: 3 Kyocera PV panels, Outback FX, Mate 2M Controller, Golden Genesis Solar Commander Servies IV pv controller, 4 Kirkland Deep Cycle marine batteries

Re: New to PV...Houseboat system

Postby blackswan555 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:14 am

firstly need a few more numbers, Your 4 batteries, what size (ah) and how are they wired, 12v, 24v or 48v (your inverter number will tells us voltage, ah should be on batteries) but as a general rule of thumb, Deep cycle lead acid batteries absorb at 14.4v for each 12v @25c bank, float is another matter which in your case could be dependant on lay up time ( if you use it all year, forget about float)

1. Electricity is invisible (most of the time)
2. Electricity is visible (when it's trying to kill you)

Na, Electricity is always invisible, It gets more invisible and some times darn right sneaky when it try's to kill you, Ask any long term sparky if he has worked on something they are sure is dead to find out different :grin: work on PV that is often live, You get a few "tingles"
Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Postby sherm2954 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:10 pm

I believe they're 750 mca, 115 amp hours each.
Wired in a 12 volt series (hopefully that's the right term - they are each 12v and are wired together to produce 12 v)

thank you for your assistance.
sherm2954

My RE system: Houseboat system: 3 Kyocera PV panels, Outback FX, Mate 2M Controller, Golden Genesis Solar Commander Servies IV pv controller, 4 Kirkland Deep Cycle marine batteries

Postby sherm2954 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:14 pm

more info:
it's a houseboat in a marina. I take it out several times each summer for a week or two at a time. sometimes just a few days.
when it's in the marina, it's on shore power that supplies the outback and that's what provides power and charges the batteries.
it spends all winter on the lake and is essentially unused.
i'm not sure if i'm supposed to leave it plugged into shore power all winter or what i'm supposed to do.

thanks again.
sherm2954

Postby heidihock on Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:07 am

Woo ah! I got the same problem! I'm just started using Solar and I am still searching, looking and joining to any forum just to know how to manage it, Confusing at the first attempt but i am really interested in using it since it helps us a lot in energy saving. I was reading all the comment here and I got some Idea.

Thank you!
heidihock

Return to Marine Applications