Combining genset AC w/ inverter AC

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Marine Applications

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

Combining genset AC w/ inverter AC

Postby svbravo on Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:19 pm

I would like to install an electric powered scuba fill compressor on my boat, equipped with a Northern Lights 5kw diesel genset. All indications are that 5kw is just too small to successfully start the 3hp motors that are typical on the small dive compressors, though it could run it w/o difficulty.

Does anyone know if it is possible to combine the AC output of my VFX2812 with the AC output of the genset to start the compressor??? Somehow synch the freq of the 2 sources???

I see that Victron Energy advertises that their DC-to-AC inverters will do this. Does Outback??? If not, is there another gadget that will allow this to happen???

Thanks for any input
Adam
s/v Bravo
now in Santa Rosalia, Mexico
svbravo

My RE system: Outback gear: VFX2812 Inverter/Charger, FLEXmax 60 charge controller, FLEXnet DC monitor, MATE display, network hub.
12v Lithium battery bank: 600Ah total, Sinopoly 200Ah cells, 4 cells per 12v module (x3 modules)
BMS: EMUS system, inc. individual cell monitor boards, Canbus modules (1 per 12v module), Bluetooth module, monitoring app on Android
Genset: 5kw diesel
Boat is set up as 12vdc / 120vac

Re: Combining genset AC w/ inverter AC

Postby Jamie on Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:02 am

G’day

3hp is around 2.4kw so a 5kw generator may or may not start it as you know. The extra 2.8kw from the FX may still not be enough to start it either.
Can you take the generator to a compressor to test it. If you go ahead and buy one pick one with the lowest LRA which is the amps it draws on startup. I run an air compressor off my 3.8kva generator that draws 2.4, generator really moans for the first second when starting but it works. The odd occasion it trips the generator on startup, always then works on the second go.

The other gadget/option is a soft-starters or VFD’s, these can be picked up for a few hundred dollars and should do the trick.

Cheers
Jamie
OutBack Guru

My RE system: 12 x 165W BP panels, MX80, VFX3048, 24 x Raylite MTL25F batteries, 200w wind turbine, Hub4, Mate, 3.8kva petrol generator

Return to Marine Applications