VFX2812 Neutral tie-in to ground?

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Marine Applications

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

VFX2812 Neutral tie-in to ground?

Postby mortond on Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:38 am

Hi,
I have a steel boat, 50 amp shore power inlet, connected to two Charles 30 amp isolation transformers, two secondaries from transformers, one direct to bus #1 on Blue Seas 8086 panel, second to bus #2 on Blue Seas 8086 panel via VFX 2812 inverter/charger, 50 amp from 6.5 Kw generator to Blue Seas 8086 panel's #3 inlet and transfer switch. Transfer switch closes #1 & #2 inputs and transfer gen. to #1 & #2 busses
Question: the isolation transformers must have a ground connection from their shields to SP ground. The secondaries neutrals must be connected to ships ground.
Can I use the VFX2812, 60 amp pass-thru, and not tie it's neutral into the ships ground or must this, also, be connected to ships ground?
I believe the VFX2812M, 30 amp pass-thru, has the neutral pre-wired to ground. I would prefer to have the higher pass-thru capacity of the VFX2812.
Thanks,
David
mortond

Postby sparky on Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:36 pm

The neutral on the inverter should go to the panels neutral tie point to ships ground. This is a single point connection to the ships ground system.
It should be a point where all the neutral wiring is connected to one wire that goes to the ground system of the boat.

With a steel boat you have electrolysis to consider and having spent many happy years on the oceans of the world I often ran my electrical system ungrounded. I did not have isolation transformers like you are fortunate enough to have. My zincs lasted much longer ungrounded and it really is pretty hard to electrocute yourself on a yacht. Still the penalty for stupidity is very swift.

Nice Electrical System ! Did you do it? Where ya going???
sparky
OutBack Emperor

Location: Sierra Mountains near Mariposa Ca. Webpage on next line
My RE system: OFFGRID SOLAR "we go where power lines don't" Design, consulting, and installation advice on 86 Offgrid homes.

Postby mortond on Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:12 am

Hi Sparky,
Thanks for the response.
I posed the question because the apparent difference between the VFX2812 and the VFX2812M is that the -M has a 30 amp pass thru and a tie between the neutral and ground installed. The other has a 60 amp pass thru and no tie between nuetral and ground, the installation manual requires that this tie be installed when in "mobile" use.
The 60 amp pass thru would become useful when 'Outback' finally come out with their load assist upgrade :-)

My boat is a 40' RiverQueen houseboat, moored in the CA Sacramento River Delta. It will be my retirement home. I intend to cruise the Delta and the SF Bay tributaries. The boat is seaworthy up to Bay conditions...out the Gate no, no, no!
The renovation of all the mechanical/electrical systems is my design and I am also the labourer. That's why I have many questions. I am/was a mechanical engineer so electrical black boxes that can kill me have a whole bunch of questions.

Thanks again,

David
mortond

Postby sparky on Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:08 pm

Sounds like the 60 amp pass thru is the one for you as 50 amp shore power is pretty common up that way . Fun place to cruise up that Delta !
sparky
OutBack Emperor

Location: Sierra Mountains near Mariposa Ca. Webpage on next line
My RE system: OFFGRID SOLAR "we go where power lines don't" Design, consulting, and installation advice on 86 Offgrid homes.

Return to Marine Applications