24KW diesel generator is enough to generate electricity?

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Marine Applications

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

24KW diesel generator is enough to generate electricity?

Postby CindyOu on Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:49 pm

Any suggestion for home generator? I am going to buy 24KW soundproof generator Cummins brand from this website: http://www.dieselgeneratortech.com/cumm ... -24gf.html. Is it enough to for home use? I jut want standby generator not prime one. 1500 rpm, 50Hz, new one. Any better brand recommended? Should I try Perkins? It seems that it is more expensive than Cummins. Help?
Altitude is a little thing that makes a big difference. Be kind to people.
CindyOu
Forum Junior Member

My RE system: Windows7

Re: 24KW diesel generator is enough to generate electricity?

Postby Vic on Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:59 pm

Hello CindyCu,

Are you advertising for the Distributor, or manufacturer?

A 24 KVA generator is larger than most homes would require.
Sizing a generator really depends upon the loads that it will need to supply.

The Link to the generator (genset), shows on that is NOT sound-attenuated, and is three phase. Most homes do not require this type of genset.

Choosing a genset that is larger than needed for the loads + battery charging will generally waste fuel.

FWIW, if this an advertisement, please just delete it. Thanks, Vic
4/20/08: 18 Shell SQ 175-106 Vmpp, Stacked 5548 SW+, 1350 AH Surrette 4KS25's, MX-60, Kubota SQ-3250 25 KVA Polyphase Diesel genset. Thanks OutBack for this Forum + the great Support and Service.
Vic
Forum Czar

Postby billi on Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:11 am

Any idea of the costs ? no diesel generator on this planet can be better , cheaper than a Photovoltaik battery based systhem

So my advice is to look into that first , if a generator is needed , cause of lack of sun in winter , get a small one that directly charges the battery and the off grid inverter supplies supper clean power much cleaner than a diesel generator

Billi
billi
Forum Guru

My RE system: 4000 watt PV array , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery @ C5 ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1000 watt windturbine AC-coupled , 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator

Postby CindyOu on Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:08 am

Vic wrote:Hello CindyCu,

Are you advertising for the Distributor, or manufacturer?

A 24 KVA generator is larger than most homes would require.
Sizing a generator really depends upon the loads that it will need to supply.

The Link to the generator (genset), shows on that is NOT sound-attenuated, and is three phase. Most homes do not require this type of genset.

Choosing a genset that is larger than needed for the loads + battery charging will generally waste fuel.

FWIW, if this an advertisement, please just delete it. Thanks, Vic

Thank you for your suggestion. I will consider and consult technician to buy a suitable one.
CindyOu
Forum Junior Member

Postby CindyOu on Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:10 am

billi wrote:Any idea of the costs ? no diesel generator on this planet can be better , cheaper than a Photovoltaik battery based systhem

So my advice is to look into that first , if a generator is needed , cause of lack of sun in winter , get a small one that directly charges the battery and the off grid inverter supplies supper clean power much cleaner than a diesel generator

Billi

Thank you Billi.
CindyOu
Forum Junior Member

Postby pjrpd on Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:40 am

I use a 1.6 Kw generator for backup and emergency charging. I can carry it around if needed. Most of my neighbours have 3kw generators, but a few use 1 kw.
pjrpd
Forum Member

My RE system: Remote off grid location monitored with OpticsRE. AXS_Port, inverter VFX3024E, charger Flexmax 80, Batteries 24 volt, 2000 amphr nickle iron batteries. 1800 watt solar panels. AXS_Port talks to wireless repeater over 30m ethernet cable.

Postby CindyOu on Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:41 am

pjrpd wrote:I use a 1.6 Kw generator for backup and emergency charging. I can carry it around if needed. Most of my neighbours have 3kw generators, but a few use 1 kw.

It is portable generator set? Can you show me picture?
CindyOu
Forum Junior Member

Postby pjrpd on Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:40 am

Here are two different portable generators. I can run house lights, refrigerator and charge with this.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/212 ... et-subform
pjrpd
Forum Member

My RE system: Remote off grid location monitored with OpticsRE. AXS_Port, inverter VFX3024E, charger Flexmax 80, Batteries 24 volt, 2000 amphr nickle iron batteries. 1800 watt solar panels. AXS_Port talks to wireless repeater over 30m ethernet cable.

Return to Marine Applications