FlexPower1 Use in an RV?

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in RV Applications

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

AltPowerRob
Forum Expert
My RE system: DC-Coupled Grid-Tied w/ Battery Backup & Multiple Arrays: Outback Radian 8048A Grid-Interactive w/ (2) Discover LiFePO4 6.6KWH batteries. 6.4KW Total PV on (2) Arrays: (1) DC-coupled w/ (18) SW300s on (3) strings of (6 ea) via an FM100 CC & (1) w/ (3) SW300s w/ Enphase IQ6 Micros Grid-Tied direct. 7.5KW 30A 240V Portable Gas Gen manual inlet for occasional longer-term outage backup. Monitoring w/ Optics, AES Dashboard & Enlighten.

FlexPower1 Use in an RV?

Post by AltPowerRob » Thu May 02, 2019 7:28 pm

Simple Q... I've installed several FP1's in small off-grid applications.. Can I take this pre-wire FX series I/C setup & mount it on its' side or on its' back in an RV?.. If so, it's a much better start to my system, than having to purchase individual components & link them all together (i.e. M series FX I/C, etc..).. Please advise. :)

Rob
Rob Bennett
Principal, E.I.T.(CEM(EE)), Designer/Master Electrician
Alternative Power Solutions

raysun
Forum Czar
My RE system: Flexpower One: FX3048T, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
Outback 200NC batteries (8 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
Suniva 330 watt panels (12 - 6 Strings @ 2 Series)
Hyundai 355 watt panels (6 - 3 strings @ 2 series)

Re: FlexPower1 Use in an RV?

Post by raysun » Thu May 02, 2019 8:54 pm

Must be a big motorhome if you have room to mount an FP1. I think the magic smoke would stay in place if it was mounted sideways. One of the sealed inverter models would help keep the guts of that component clean. If it's a tight compartment, an additional cooling fan would probably be helpful. It could be tied to the same inverter aux port relay the internal fan is tied to, via an external relay.

Kurt Lundquist
Alpha Energy Engineering
My RE system: VFX3524, Mate3, 200Ah 24V AGM Battery Bank

Post by Kurt Lundquist » Fri May 03, 2019 8:51 am

The FM80 is not designed to operate in any position other than verticle so the FP1 has to be mounted on a wall or you have to take the FM80 off and put it up on the wall. Also, the inverter on the FP1 is not a mobile style with built-in neutral/ground switching. You can use the AUX port to drive a relay that switches the bond or better yet install an isolation transformer between the connection for an external AC power source (shore power). The FP1 was not designed for mobile applications so there might be other issues that crop up after bouncing down the road. It takes a bit more wiring but overall it would probably be better to just go with an M style FX inverter with the FW250 AC/DC breaker boxes. The FW250 IOB kit provides the AC input/output and bypass breakers. Wiring in the 250 boxes is a bit of a pain but they are compact so easier to fit instead of a larger breaker panel.

-Kurt
Kurt Lundquist
Renewable Energy Project Engineer
http://alphaenergy.us/

AltPowerRob
Forum Expert
My RE system: DC-Coupled Grid-Tied w/ Battery Backup & Multiple Arrays: Outback Radian 8048A Grid-Interactive w/ (2) Discover LiFePO4 6.6KWH batteries. 6.4KW Total PV on (2) Arrays: (1) DC-coupled w/ (18) SW300s on (3) strings of (6 ea) via an FM100 CC & (1) w/ (3) SW300s w/ Enphase IQ6 Micros Grid-Tied direct. 7.5KW 30A 240V Portable Gas Gen manual inlet for occasional longer-term outage backup. Monitoring w/ Optics, AES Dashboard & Enlighten.

Post by AltPowerRob » Sun May 05, 2019 2:29 pm

Thanks Gentlemen! I just thought I would inquire, but it sounds like the best way to proceed, using OB equipment, would be the M-Series w/ the FW250 setup as Kurt specified... I"ll post pics at some point :)

Rob
Rob Bennett

AltPowerRob
Forum Expert

Post by AltPowerRob » Sun May 05, 2019 2:38 pm

Kurt Lundquist wrote:The FM80 is not designed to operate in any position other than verticle so the FP1 has to be mounted on a wall or you have to take the FM80 off and put it up on the wall. Also, the inverter on the FP1 is not a mobile style with built-in neutral/ground switching. You can use the AUX port to drive a relay that switches the bond or better yet install an isolation transformer between the connection for an external AC power source (shore power). The FP1 was not designed for mobile applications so there might be other issues that crop up after bouncing down the road. It takes a bit more wiring but overall it would probably be better to just go with an M style FX inverter with the FW250 AC/DC breaker boxes. The FW250 IOB kit provides the AC input/output and bypass breakers. Wiring in the 250 boxes is a bit of a pain but they are compact so easier to fit instead of a larger breaker panel.

-Kurt
So any other suggestions on CC? or will the FM80 last as long as it's mounted vertical? I can make this work, as I like to stay in the same manufacturer's suite of components so they all place as nice as possible (including MATE3S, FNDC, etc..).. I"ll be connecting to a 24V LFP battery & then running some DC loads back through a 24:12VDC converter for the RV's DC needs... Need to run the AC unit & the coffee-maker completly off-grid :).. I don't believe that OB has any other CC solutions beyond the FM's?.. correct?

Thanks........... Rob
Rob Bennett

Kurt Lundquist
Alpha Energy Engineering
My RE system: VFX3524, Mate3, 200Ah 24V AGM Battery Bank

Post by Kurt Lundquist » Mon May 06, 2019 7:32 am

Hi Rob,

You can use the FM80, just keep it vertical.

-Kurt
Kurt Lundquist
Renewable Energy Project Engineer
http://alphaenergy.us/

poojamehta
Forum Junior Member
My RE system: lsjfcldknvcklnejfgoj

Post by poojamehta » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:36 am

great Information.Thank You =D>

Moreruchika
Forum Junior Member
My RE system: none

Post by Moreruchika » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:16 pm

Informative post. Thanks for sharing. Keep up!

tablefulfads
Forum Junior Member

Post by tablefulfads » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:08 am

Nice information and Thank you.