FX2012MT AC POwer error led

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in RV Applications

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

jfguay2
Forum Member
My RE system: 5 siemens SP-75 , Outback Flexmax 80, Outback FX2012MT inverter, 2 Crown CR240 6v batteries

FX2012MT AC POwer error led

Post by jfguay2 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:00 pm

Hello,

Recently, I have started experimenting an issue where my inverter will come on once hooked to the battery bank, as usual, but when I plug in shore power, the ac in led comes on, but once the relay tries to connect, the error led comes on for a second and then both ac in led and the error led go off. This goes on and on forever. This started happening after I took my battery bank off the motorhome, and put in back in , reconnecting everything. I am certain the polarity is fine, so I am wondering whether I burned something in the inverter that is preventing in to properly activate the internal relay to pass on the 120 v shore power to the motor home.

Any idea before I dissassemble the beast?

pss
Forum Guru
My RE system: 8330 watts in three strings, Flexmax 60 x 3, Radian 8048A, GSLC load center, Mate 3S, Hub 10.3, FN-DC and 900 Amp, 48V Trojan T105-RE battery bank.

Re: FX2012MT AC POwer error led

Post by pss » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:53 pm

Just my two cents, but relays are magnetic switches in many cases and can easily stop working properly without notice. They are subject to wearing out. Hopefully you eliminated this aspect already.

raysun
Forum Czar
My RE system: Flexpower One: FX3048T, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
Outback 200NC batteries (8 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
Suniva 330 watt panels (12 - 6 Strings @ 2 Series)
Hyundai 355 watt panels (6 - 3 strings @ 2 series)

Post by raysun » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:19 pm

Have you looked in the system logs to see what error(s) displays?

jfguay2
Forum Member
My RE system: 5 siemens SP-75 , Outback Flexmax 80, Outback FX2012MT inverter, 2 Crown CR240 6v batteries

Post by jfguay2 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:14 am

pss wrote:Just my two cents, but relays are magnetic switches in many cases and can easily stop working properly without notice. They are subject to wearing out. Hopefully you eliminated this aspect already.
No I haven't yet, as I still need to unmount the beast from within the storage bay, so that I can open it up. Where could I find a wiring diagram of the thing?

jfguay2
Forum Member

Post by jfguay2 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:17 am

raysun wrote:Have you looked in the system logs to see what error(s) displays?
I suppose I have to use the Mate to get that right? I am pretty certain I look at all I can access through the Mate2 that I have connected to the inverter, but could not see anything. Under which menu should I look? For some reason, I feel as though I don't have access to the complete array of settings of the FM2012MT through the mate2. For instance, I can't change the charging settings, and don't have access to a bunch of other settings, don't know why.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

JF

Kurt Lundquist
Alpha Energy Engineering
My RE system: VFX3524, Mate3, 200Ah 24V AGM Battery Bank

Post by Kurt Lundquist » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:34 am

Before removing the inverter I suggest you verify the AC voltage at the inverter input. Check the Mate2 to see what it says for AC input voltage or use an external meter. Watch what happens as the inverter tries to connect to the AC source.

It sounds like you might have a Mate2M instead of a normal Mate2. Check out this manual for guidance http://www.outbackpower.com/downloads/d ... manual.pdf

-Kurt
Kurt Lundquist
Renewable Energy Project Engineer
http://alphaenergy.us/

jfguay2
Forum Member

Post by jfguay2 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:28 am

Kurt Lundquist wrote:Before removing the inverter I suggest you verify the AC voltage at the inverter input. Check the Mate2 to see what it says for AC input voltage or use an external meter. Watch what happens as the inverter tries to connect to the AC source.

It sounds like you might have a Mate2M instead of a normal Mate2. Check out this manual for guidance http://www.outbackpower.com/downloads/d ... manual.pdf

-Kurt

I will do that tonight. Thanks for the information on the fact its a MATE2M. By reading the manual, I came across how to access the advanced menu, which is hidden!! Never knew that and never could figure it out.

thanks a bunch, will report back tomorrow with my findings.

jfguay2
Forum Member

Post by jfguay2 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:13 pm

Kurt Lundquist wrote:Before removing the inverter I suggest you verify the AC voltage at the inverter input. Check the Mate2 to see what it says for AC input voltage or use an external meter. Watch what happens as the inverter tries to connect to the AC source.

-Kurt
Ok well things are getting worse, as as soon as I plug the inverter on batteries, the fan comes on but I get no led on anymore, nothing at all, and nothing either through the mate2m.

What could it be at this point...?

jfguay2
Forum Member

Post by jfguay2 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:32 am

I left the inverter connected all night and this morning, I had a power on green led light on!! I can now access the Mate2M. Will try and see if any errors are coming up. Still can't get the power in to trigger the passthrough relay. From a quick look this morning, before I went to work, my low voltage (ac) cut off is showing at 0, and same with the high voltage (0), and can't seem to change the values either. Obviously, something is wrong ...

jfguay2
Forum Member

Post by jfguay2 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:16 am

Ok, further assessment shows not error from the Mate at all. I have removed the inverted from the RV so to troubleshoot properly, and upon connecting the inverter to my 12v batteries, it came on as expected. I then connected the shore power and the charger kicked on properly as well, and I then started an EQ of the battery. That lasted for 30 minutes, at which point, the error led on the Inverter is flashing again, and the AC in continually tries to turn the relay on (based on what I understand) I have verified on ac input settings on the mate not to avail, every thing looks fine. I wonder whether something heats up inside the inverter and after a little while (some charging for instance) the heat makes the relay too sensitive and it won<t go on.
Here is what happens: https://youtu.be/RH2kFYWxvm8
I don<t have any other explanation and I am desperate. Any one can chime in on what I should do next?

Thanks in advance,

JF :-k

Kurt Lundquist
Alpha Energy Engineering
My RE system: VFX3524, Mate3, 200Ah 24V AGM Battery Bank

Post by Kurt Lundquist » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:12 am

Measure AC voltage at the inverter input terminals with a true RMS meter while going through the same process. What happens to the AC voltage when you see the inverter disconnect? What is the size/length of the shore power cord?

-Kurt
Kurt Lundquist
Renewable Energy Project Engineer
http://alphaenergy.us/