Need advice for an inverter

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in RV Applications

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

Need advice for an inverter

Postby ericd012 on Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:35 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if I did post in the right section, Im currently building a mobile unity for road service reparations. Current setup is 3 battery automotive 8d 1500cca, a generator of 15% thd 9000watt. I got a 220v 1phase air compressor to run, tig and mig welders that needs a thd lower than 5%. My problem right now is I canno't run my devices with the thd too high, I would like to find an inverter able to take the output from my generator and "purify" it by passing the current in the inverter. With this inverter with low current devices like grinder, drill, sometime air compressor I would run it with the battery, but when more power needed with the inverter I would just start-up the generator. At the end of the day I would charge my batteries to get them back at 100% with the inverter.

I don't know mutch with inverters, hope you guys can help me find a solution.

Thanks,
-Eric
ericd012
Forum Junior Member

Re: Need advice for an inverter

Postby Mike Curran on Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:41 am

Outback's inverters won't "purify" any AC fed in to them. Any AC in is simply passed through to the AC loads without modificatioon.

They can use somewhat dirty AC to charge a battery, then later invert the battery DC to AC for your AC loads. You'd need a lot more battery for this scenario to work for your sizable AC loads, though.
http://www.tigoenergy.com/site.php?95b2dca2-ca6c
Mike Curran
Forum Czar

My RE system: Outback:
- 8 (2x4) Evergreen 180's into one MX60 (2007)
- 6 (2×3) ALEO S79-300's into one FM80 (2017)
- 2 grid-tied GVFX3524's classic stacked for 120/240VAC (2007)
- 12 Surrette/Rolls 2V x 1766Ah (2007)
- Hub10.3, Mate3, FNDC, RTS, OpticsRE. Tigo Energy ES maximizers on each PV module.

Westinghouse Solar: (2012)
- 30 (2x15) 235W panels with Enphase M215 microinverters, grid-tied.

Postby ericd012 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:27 am

Is there a way to purify it? I heard that some people say's to put a steady 100watt on it, I'm looking something more effective if possible. Because on the other half a generator that has a good wave/low thd will give less power, wich is problematic in my case.

thanks,
-eric
ericd012
Forum Junior Member

Postby Kurt Lundquist on Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:55 pm

Hi Eric,

I think your money would be best spent by getting a generator that is rated for 5% THD or less. Look at inverter generators like the Honda EU series. Your 8D batteries are not going to last long supporting 2 welders and an air compressor even if an inverter could clean up the power. The other options for cleaning up the power output (UPS or Ferroresonant transformer) will probably cost as much or more than the generator and they decrease efficiency.

-Kurt
Kurt Lundquist
Renewable Energy Project Engineer
http://alphaenergy.us/
Kurt Lundquist
Alpha Energy Engineering

My RE system: VFX3524, Mate3, 200Ah 24V AGM Battery Bank

Return to RV Applications