Inverter not showing AC In from Generator

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Off Grid Applications

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

Inverter not showing AC In from Generator

Postby tavo2527 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:10 pm

Hi Everyone,

New to the off-grid life so please bear with me...

I have a VFX3524 tied to 12, 2 volt batteries (very old bank) alongside the following:
Charge Controller: FM80-150VDC
Battery Monitor: Flexnet-DC
System Controller: Mate-B Flush (Mate 2)

When I fire up my generator I have current running in to the house and to the inverter however there's no AC In light on at the inverter or at the Mate. I feel like the problem is right in front of me but I just can't seem to see it. I've played with a number of configurations in my setup and adv settings to ensure the right parameters were set (or so I thought). Any reason for why I'd be experiencing this? Ultimately I want to run the generator to fill my batteries and put the generator away.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially through these cloudy days!
tavo2527

My RE system: Inverter: Outback Power VFX3524
Solar Charge Controller: Outback Power FM80-150VDC
Battery Monitor: Outback Power Flexnet-DC
System Controller: Outback Power Mate-B Flush
1.8 kW array

Re: Inverter not showing AC In from Generator

Postby Mike Curran on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:12 am

Not sure I understand...are you saying the generator is supplying your house loads but not charging your batteries?

Dumb question, but is the generator output breaker closed? How about the AC input breaker to the FX?

Is the generator output voltage falling between the upper and lower limits you've set for them in the Mate? Is the generator output frequency between 54 and 66 Hz?

I'm not an expert, these are just the basic questions that occur to me... FWIW - Mike
Mike Curran
OutBack Guru

My RE system: Outback: 8 (2x4) Evergreen 180's into one MX60, 6 (2×3) ALEO S79-300's into one FM80, 2 grid-tied GVFX3524's classic stacked for 120/240VAC, 12 Surrette/Rolls 2V x 1766Ah, Hub10.3, Mate3, FNDC, RTS, OpticsRE. Tigo Energy ES maximizers on each PV module.

Westinghouse Solar: 30 (2x15) 235W panels with Enphase M215 microinverters. 6,450 nameplate watts AC, grid-tied.

Postby tavo2527 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:00 pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the note. To answer your question, yes, the generator is supplying power but not charging the batteries. The output breaker is open as well as the AC Input breaker on the FX (thought that was my aha moment but alas...)

I guess I'll need to check the output voltage and was close to setting a much wider range in case I was just missing it but fear having that voltage being to low and somehow actually causing harm to the system. I believe the frequency is right but will be running diagnostics there as well.

Appreciate the pointers. My thought was there was a setting on the Mate that was not bridging this gap but I'll go further up the chain first and do some checks there.

Greg
tavo2527

1.8 kW array

Postby Mike Curran on Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:12 pm

I don't know if the voltage limit settings affect what's passed through to your house loads, what's inverted to charge your batteries, or both (I think it's both). Somebody at Outback would have a better idea. But since your generator's output is passing through, but not charging your batteries, I would hope the limits only affect the charger, and maybe you have them set too strictly. That'd be an easy fix. Otherwise it would appear your FX is the problem.
Mike Curran
OutBack Guru

My RE system: Outback: 8 (2x4) Evergreen 180's into one MX60, 6 (2×3) ALEO S79-300's into one FM80, 2 grid-tied GVFX3524's classic stacked for 120/240VAC, 12 Surrette/Rolls 2V x 1766Ah, Hub10.3, Mate3, FNDC, RTS, OpticsRE. Tigo Energy ES maximizers on each PV module.

Westinghouse Solar: 30 (2x15) 235W panels with Enphase M215 microinverters. 6,450 nameplate watts AC, grid-tied.

Postby tavo2527 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:16 pm

Sorry let me clarify...I used my multimeter just to check if there was current from my generator wiring that was reaching the FX, which it was. But its not powering any loads for the house OR charging the batteries. The generator plug outside is a female L14-30 (off a 240/120 volt generator) down to a panel inside that has both the grid feed and the generator feed. Its a generator-ready panel with a built in transfer switch.

So it seems like the wiring is all sound but is hitting a roadblock at the FX for some reason. And I'm not sure if I just made this more confusing by trying to clarify...
tavo2527

1.8 kW array

Postby Mike Curran on Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:21 pm

No, that's clearer now. You should measure your generator's output voltage (if you can, safely), then compare to what you have the FX's AC voltage limits set for. If the generator is out of that range then that's the problem.
Mike Curran
OutBack Guru

Return to Off Grid Applications