Multiple inverters

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Off Grid Applications

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

Multiple inverters

Postby dcawkwell on Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:15 pm

Hi Group,
I am currently staying in an off grid house in Portugal. Knowledge of off grid installations seems a bit scarce here and
the english speaking owner has had difficulty getting his system to work over the years.

The current installation has 24v battery bank (not sure of the capacity on the batteries), solar array, two flex max60-150vdc charge controllers and an fw250 inverter,
diesel generator.

Needless to say with only 3kw inverter trips on the electric are a problem as he also needs to pump water from
a bore hole and pump water for the house to build pressure in the water system.

He is planning and some of the way along with adding hydro power since the land has a small stream running through it.

He has already purchased a VFXR3024E inverter to add to his system.

My question is how can he integrate the two inverters. I would have said buying a bigger inverter would have been a better approach. I know only basics of off grid so please advise.
dcawkwell

My RE system: 24v battery, outback 2 x flex fm60-150 charge controllers, outback fw250 inverter

Re: Multiple inverters

Postby Sandra Herrera on Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:42 pm

Hello,
Please make sure the current inverter is also a FXR, if it is only a FX it will not be compatible.
Please post the model inverter and model on the mate
Sandra Herrera
Applications Engineering

OutBack Power Technologies
Sandra Herrera
OutBack Management

Postby dcawkwell on Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:15 am

The inverter is a flex FW 250 so I assume what he is trying to do won't work.
Would it be best to replace both inverters with a bigger one?
dcawkwell

My RE system: 24v battery, outback 2 x flex fm60-150 charge controllers, outback fw250 inverter

Postby blackswan555 on Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:46 pm

The inverter is a flex FW 250
The FW250 is actually the enclosure it is in, Not the inverter as you can use various different ones, Country and size dependant,
So at a rough guess it will be a VFX3024E (Vented FX 3kw, 24v, European 230v) as by your description, It is a few years old ?
So you will need another VFX to match original if this is the case,

Tim

FW250 http://www.outbackpower.com/outback-pro ... exware-250
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Postby dcawkwell on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:02 am

Ahh that fooled me. I thought they were completely different inverters shows you what I know about outback inverters.

So the new inverter is a VFXR3024E and the old inverter is a VFX3024E. This is all he has purchased yet. From what Sandra said
that means they are not compatible to work together.

So I assume all that can be done is drive separate circuits in the house with different inverters or buy one bigger inverter.
dcawkwell

Postby blackswan555 on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:43 am

Or sell one of them and replace it with same model as you keep, You could then add more inverters if/as needed,

Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Return to Off Grid Applications