3phase Generator w/ Split Phase 240 House?

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Off Grid Applications

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

3phase Generator w/ Split Phase 240 House?

Postby whalepod on Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:22 am

Hey everyone. Sorry for the basic question... We have a property with a sizable 3 phase generator that I want to use for emergency power and battery maintenance tasks for an upcoming off grid system. The house on the property has not been built, and none of the solar hardware has been purchased yet. Right now I'm in the equipment research phase of the project, and am considering Outback products as the property had them at one time.

Property currently has a sizable 3phase water pump that the generator is currently powering. I'm worried that if we setup the future house with traditional split phase service that we are going to unevenly load the 3 legs and have a detrimental effect on generator life. There really isn't another use on the property currently for 3 phase, other than a possible welder way way down the line... and of course the water pump.

So my question is, is there a way to integrate 3phase input from a generator into a split phase output for the house with Outback hardware? I'm leaning towards no, but I'm open to suggestions.
whalepod

Re: 3phase Generator w/ Split Phase 240 House?

Postby blackswan555 on Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:49 pm

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=9210 , And use VFD on pump, Random web link to VFD info https://www.vfds.com/blog/what-is-a-vfd

Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Return to Off Grid Applications