How Do I become more Efficient?

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Off Grid Applications

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

How Do I become more Efficient?

Postby duongthuan on Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:28 am

I have a problem with my solar efficiency...I have a 5kw PV array and a 48v 850AH battery bank. This system powers 2 homes (approx 5000sf) and usually runs beween 2-4 kw of electricity (if laundry & cooking & hot water & 220 pump for well run all at the same time, have seen the meeter as high as 10kw). It seems that the generator will start sometime between 3 to 5 hrs after the sun goes down and run for 8 to 10 hours. Here is my problem - since the batteries are at a full charge in the morning, there are times (quite frequently) where my MX shuts my PV off because the batteries are full and there is no where for the power to go. My PV produces about 30kw daily at full efficiency, but in the last 30 days I have over 20 days where it produced less than 15 kw. What can I do to become more efficient?
duongthuan

Re: How Do I become more Efficient?

Postby Violet Hill on Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:56 am

Set the generator to come on 50% and go off at about 80% so in morning the batteries are max 80 % and check the batteries are go to 100% 4-5 times at week if the batteries are ok 50% soc or you can set generator to come on at 70% and go off at 85% yes the generator will come on and off more.
Violet Hill

Re: How Do I become more Efficient?

Postby blackswan555 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:58 pm

Please fill your profile in as fully as possible, System, Generator etc As at a rough guess you are starting charge on about 70% and charging with one VFX ?
Next, What are ALL of your loads, type and hours of use, EG Oven 1500w, 2hrs per day, WiFi router, 15w, 24hrs per day, ETC, Please list them
But a starting point is to run any non time sensitive loads in the afternoon when the batteries are charged, eg washing or pumping to tanks, You will use the "wasted" solar power and also get about 20% more efficiency as it does not go in and out the batteries,

Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Return to Off Grid Applications