Whew... Still Kicking it

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Off Grid Applications

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

Whew... Still Kicking it

Postby JRHill on Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:55 am

Each year that goes by I watch for the forecasted loss in performance from the panels. Of all the details of checking connections, SGs, adjustments to tuning, etc., I think I am seeing something to the negative. Then comes the fall and cooler temps. The sun hits the panels ( and more perpendicular for me - roof mounted ), the temps are brisk, the sky is clear of smoke and, hurray, it's working great for Kw output. The day's sunlight is down by 4 hours but I get more right now than during the summer at peak from hot panels. The only suspicious downside is that the sun is going down earlier so I hit the batteries sooner - which would lend to a downturn - but not so much. Morning SOCs are increasing right now at the same loads (battery temp).

All kinds of questions/worries get posted about system performance and for good reason. But if you keep records and do the minimum maintenance you'll see the pattern. And, damn, each year is different.

Love it,
JRH

BTW, took 5 years and the 2nd set of batteries to get my attention. Records. SGs (if flooded). Patterns of use. Gen charging habits. Etc.
JRHill
OutBack Guru

My RE system: -House: FM 80, VFX 3648, FlexnetDC, FlexWare xformer, Mate 3 / Hub, WattPlot/, 2925w SunTech 195, Trojan L16RE-B Batteries. Backup 1: Champion 75531i 3100, backup 2: 11kw Miller Bobcat;
-Well: Grundfos 11-SQF-2 pump, controller & AC switch (CU200, IO101), Morningstar 15a/48vdc Controller, 780w SunTech 195, Trojan golf cart batteries.
-All running since July '11 with no critical problems.

Return to Off Grid Applications