Generator termination when solar is active

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Off Grid Applications

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

Generator termination when solar is active

Postby Bill Shattenberg on Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:58 pm

generator runs in automode. Would like to have the generator stop when solar is available. We live in a rain forest and the sun does not shine every day. If the mate starts the generator due to SOC and the sun comes out batteries over charge and generator carries most of the charge load.would like to have generator stay in auto,, but have mate send a stop signal while sun is out . I assumed this would be the case when the system was brought on line. Is there some programming I missed.
Bill Shattenberg

My RE system: Three 35-48 in a 3 phase system. 10 kW gen, 3 ph.

Re: Generator termination when solar is active

Postby bluespur on Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:43 pm

I hope someone corrects me as I too would be interested in similar functionality, but I don't think you have missed anything in the programming. The upside is that with both solar and the generator, the charge time should be reduced
Cheers
Garth
bluespur
OutBack Expert

My RE system: VFX3024x2
Flexmax60x2
3000W total solar, 135w panel array and 220w panel array
Mate3
12xHawker Perfect Plus 8PZS120 FLA batteries
Own built generator Kubota D600 engine, 7.5Kw gen head

Postby anchor_electric on Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:48 pm

When the generator is running the FM 80 limits the solar input. Batteries like 6 KW which the charger is set for, Array is 6.2 KW. both at once could cause issues. As this installation is in SE Alaska where there is lots of clouds and sun may only come out for a few hours, the array is designed to charge the batteries in 3-4 hours. Excess solar is diverted to water heating for heat. Seems like the Mate could have programming to interrupt a generator run cycle if the solar started producing? This would be a great addition for off grid users who try to limit fuel use.
Bill Shattenberg DBA Anchor Electric
anchor_electric

My RE system: Two ten KW gen-sets, three 3848 inverter running in 3 phase. 6400 watt tracking solar array. 52 volt battery bank made uo of 26 Dyno 2000AH 2 volt cells.

Postby rossweinberg21 on Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:35 pm

anchor_electric wrote:When the generator is running the FM 80 limits the solar input. Batteries like 6 KW which the charger is set for, Array is 6.2 KW. both at once could cause issues. As this installation is in SE Alaska where there is lots of clouds and sun may only come out for a few hours, the array is designed to charge the batteries in 3-4 hours. Excess solar is diverted to water heating for heat. Seems like the Mate could have programming to interrupt a generator run cycle if the solar started producing? This would be a great addition for off grid users who try to limit fuel use.
Bill Shattenberg DBA Anchor Electric

Yes, mate, fuel consumption is something I'm starting to get worried more. Well i don't play much with my configuration and settings but will like to see the proper manual and procedure to achieve that output soon.
rossweinberg21

Postby anchor_electric on Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:39 am

Hopefully Outback can make some programming updates .
anchor_electric

My RE system: Two ten KW gen-sets, three 3848 inverter running in 3 phase. 6400 watt tracking solar array. 52 volt battery bank made uo of 26 Dyno 2000AH 2 volt cells.

Postby OffgridHiker on Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:25 am

I was also wondering the same thing. Currently I keep an eye on the system and manually turn off the gen set if there's enough solar.
OffgridHiker
OutBack Whiz

My RE system: Offgrid, 48V

2x VFX3648 (AC Generator)
FX60 (1980W Solar)
FM60 (2475W Solar)
FNDC
MATE3
HUB10

Postby klundquist on Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:11 am

You can tweak the system to place a priority on solar charging by setting the charge controller Absorb voltage a few tenths of a volt above the inverter Absorb voltage. Inverter Absorb time can be kept to a minimum if the PV system generally has enough sun to complete the battery charge cycle. Once the inverter Absorb timer is complete the Mate3 will shut off the generator. As the seasons change you can play with the inverter Absorb time for more or less generator input. The FM80 Absorb time should be left at whatever is necessary to properly charge your battery bank.

NOTE: This works best when using the Volt Start AGS setting. The SOC start setting will not shut the generator off based on the inverter Absorb voltage timer. The devices in your system communicate indirectly via the battery voltage so that is why using voltage based programming (not SOC) works best.

NOTE2: You should still stay within the battery manufacturer recommended charge voltage. If the charge controller is set to the max recommended Absorb voltage for your battery then set the inverter Absorb a few tenths of a volt lower instead of increasing the charge controller Absorb voltage.

NOTE3: Do not follow this advice if your generator is the primary charging source. Your PV array needs to be able to fully charge the battery bank.

Bill,

What setup are you using for the water heater diversion load?

Thanks,

-Kurt
Kurt Lundquist
Alpha Energy Systems Engineer
http://www.alpha.com/solar
klundquist
Alpha Energy Engineering

My RE system: VFX3524, Mate, 200Ah 24V AGM Battery Bank

Return to Off Grid Applications