generator circuit braker trips when recharging batteries

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Off Grid Applications

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

generator circuit braker trips when recharging batteries

Postby marco moschini on Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:06 am

Hello ive been having a generator problem while recharging my battery bank.On a rainy day I use a 4500 W generator to recharge my batteries but a few min utes after recharging the circuit braker button pops up.Also it doesnt have a continuous flow when recharging as the current accepted keeps varying from 0 watts to 2000 watts and thern after a while the circuit braker trips.My generator hasnt been grounded and i noticed it says on the panel of generator ,neutral bonded to frame.
Can anyone suggest why the current flow is not steady and continuous while recharging and why the circuit braker trips off?.It used to do the same on a more powerful generator i was previously using.thanks
marco moschini

My RE system: inverter 3.5 KW Outback,8 rolls surrette batteries 6 Volts,outback mate and charge controller,portable generator 4500 w,1000 W solar panels

Re: generator circuit braker trips when recharging batteries

Postby jguzman on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:27 pm

Marco,

A breaker will trip every time you exceed its current rating. That said, keep in mind that when you connect your generator to the OutBack Inverter it will do two things with the generator power: 1. Charge your batteries 2. Power your loads. It may be possible you may be drawing too much current. If you don't have a clamp meter, try running your charger with no loads or by decreasing your charger current down to 1 and increasing it a little bit at a time so see at what point it trips. Having a smaller generator may mean less charge potential.

A few things to ask:
What size breaker does it have? Is this a 120/240V output? Are you using just a 120V output?
You are allowed to have only one neutral to ground bond so if your generator plus Outback system each have one, you will need to remove the one from the generator.
Jorge Guzman
Technical Support Supervisor

Watch easy to follow video tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/c/wattschool
jguzman
Applications Engineering

My RE system: GVFX3524, FM80, MATE3. 3x 260W REC. 4x Trojan L16 FLA 370Ah.

Postby JRHill on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:53 pm

marco moschini wrote:Also it doesnt have a continuous flow when recharging as the current accepted keeps varying from 0 watts to 2000 watts and thern after a while the circuit braker trips.

Marco,
If the power flow is varying 0-2000w, is the generator is "hunting" or surging wildly? I.E., RPMs way up and down? I'd guess so... Before you go crazy with all manner of troubleshooting, is there a different generator of a different brand/style, regardless of size, that you could try? I had a brand new (Briggs & Stratton 8000W) generator that had a voltage regulator that just would NOT get along with the charging circuit of the inverter. I tried 120, 240, an isolation transformer and all kinds of grounding scenarios before I gave up. BTW, I had 2 other generators and both worked fine. Just a hint before you spend a bunch of time on something you can't resolve.

Best,
Jim
JRHill
OutBack Guru

My RE system: -House: FM 80, VFX 3648, FlexnetDC, FlexWare xformer, Mate 3 / Hub, WattPlot/, 2925w SunTech 195, Trojan L16RE-B Batteries. Backup 1: Champion 75531i 3100, backup 2: 11kw Miller Bobcat;
-Well: Grundfos 11-SQF-2 pump, controller & AC switch (CU200, IO101), Morningstar 15a/48vdc Controller, 780w SunTech 195, Trojan golf cart batteries.
-All running since July '11 with no critical problems.

Postby marco moschini on Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:45 pm

i dont think my generator is not powerful enough its got 3650 W of continuous current i ve plugged my sistem to it with a 4 prongs twist plug on the 30 amps outlet.the sistem receives 1800 w when recharging adding my fridge compressor starting 1 fan and tv and a few low Wattege lights.this is the most my generator has to produce.
.i ve tried to switch every appliance off and try recharging my batteries and it trips the braker off.i hae also tried with an other bigger generator and it does the same
i hope i don t have to buy an other .generator.any other suggestions?thanks
marco moschini

My RE system: inverter 3.5 KW Outback,8 rolls surrette batteries 6 Volts,outback mate and charge controller,portable generator 4500 w,1000 W solar panels

Return to Off Grid Applications