HUP Solar One Batteries

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Off Grid Applications

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

HUP Solar One Batteries

Postby ColoradoBound on Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:10 pm

In reading through many forums I have found a few people using HUP Solar One batteries but all those posts seem to be years old. I am installing a new system and am planning on using the Solar One batteries so I was wondering if there was anyone on here that actually has them installed. If so I would like your opinion on how they are holding up.
ColoradoBound

Re: HUP Solar One Batteries

Postby backstay on Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:29 am

I have a customer that has Hub battery. It is at his cabin and lasted 15 years. It would have lasted longer but, his combiner blew a fuse and he had very little power to the battery for months and didn't know. It was just replaced this spring. They are heavy to handle, even when just working one cell at a time.
backstay

My RE system: (1)Trace SW4024 inverter, (1) FM 80, (1) FM 60, (10) Evergreen ES-A 200 watt panels, (10) Photowatt 100 watt panels. Off grid system
Electrical cnotractor and solar installer.

Postby bill miller on Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:22 pm

I have a 48 volt system that has a SolarOne HUP battery (6-85-33). They were put into service in 2005, still working. Watering and keeping the weaker cells balanced.
bill miller
OutBack Guru

My RE system: Outback Quad System 3648 Vintage 2005
Solar One 1690 48 volt battery
Mix of panels BP, Yingli, and Canadian Solar
35 KW diesel generator with heat recovery
Mate, Hub and Controller

Postby ColoradoBound on Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:27 pm

bill miller wrote:I have a 48 volt system that has a SolarOne HUP battery (6-85-33). They were put into service in 2005, still working. Watering and keeping the weaker cells balanced.

Bill,

If you don't mind me asking a few questions.
1. What is your normal daily DOD?
2. How often do you have to water them?
3. How big of an array do you have?
4. Do you have to run your generator very often?
ColoradoBound

Postby bill miller on Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:33 pm

Daily DOD max 90% lots of sun
Every 2 months, probably charging them too high 57.8 volts
Array size small 3200 watts max charge is 2.5 kw
Only run the generator in the winter when there is no sun, worst case every 3 days and DOD goes to 80%
bill miller
OutBack Guru

Mate, Hub and Controller

Postby ColoradoBound on Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:48 pm

bill miller wrote:Daily DOD max 90% lots of sun
Every 2 months, probably charging them too high 57.8 volts
Array size small 3200 watts max charge is 2.5 kw
Only run the generator in the winter when there is no sun, worst case every 3 days and DOD goes to 80%

Are you saying that the state of charge goes to 90% (10% DOD) or you are using 90% of the charge?
3.2kw array seems small for that size battery.
ColoradoBound

Postby bill miller on Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:59 pm

Sorry, I'm using only 10 to 20 % of the battery. yes the solar system is small, but in CA, if you are only using 5 to 20 % of the battery capacity that is all I need to get to the bulk voltage within a few hours. the system is a quad and I have a 35 kw generator that will charge the batteries during the winter at the spec'd 140 amps. that charging happens really fast. My heating and cooling is radiant and I do not use much energy for space conditioning.
bill miller
OutBack Guru

Mate, Hub and Controller

Postby ColoradoBound on Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:14 pm

bill miller wrote:Sorry, I'm using only 10 to 20 % of the battery. yes the solar system is small, but in CA, if you are only using 5 to 20 % of the battery capacity that is all I need to get to the bulk voltage within a few hours. the system is a quad and I have a 35 kw generator that will charge the batteries during the winter at the spec'd 140 amps. that charging happens really fast. My heating and cooling is radiant and I do not use much energy for space conditioning.

Nice. Thanks for the info. That eases my mind that the HUP batteries will last long enough to make it worth the extra money they are going to cost.

My plan is the use the 6-85-25. I will have 3 arrays totaling 12.15kw (want to make sure I have plenty of power in the winter)
In the summer I will have a crazy abundance of power so I am trying to come up with opportunity loads to use some of the extra power.
I am going to have a 20kw backup generator but at my altitude it is only going to put out about 14kw. This generator is overkill for what I need for the batteries but I also have a woodworking shop and the inverter alone won't run all my tools.
ColoradoBound

Return to Off Grid Applications