Drastic SOC Change

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Off Grid Applications

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

JRHill
Forum Czar

Re: Drastic SOC Change

Post by JRHill » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:07 pm

The FNDC reset still isn't right. My battery cells needed an equalize so after the SGs quit rising, I did the FNDC reset and the the equalize. There is no direction in the manual and no best practices I can find here. The FNDC seemed to follow along for a day or so and then it's right back to what started all this: it stays a 100% and only after an extended discharge does it start dropping. When charging, it rises to 100% and then stays there while still sucking Kw for quite a while (hours). This makes sense if I look at it from the point of the FNDC not being set to the batteries actually being full. But SGs are SGs, right? I mean, even after the SGs stabilize, if the charge continues, the FNDC is still watching KW in, yes? There is still a bit of variance between the cells but I don't see the need to torture the batteries further with another EQ. So, just fill 'em up again and reset the FNDC again? Sheesh.

There is no (programming) logic available so this can be figured out. I seem to have to keep guessing at what this stuff is doing.

This is all Bill Gates' fault, somehow, not OB.

timmartin
Forum Guru
My RE system: ...
Sharp 120W Panels (12)
SunPerfect 230W Panels (9)
Whisper 100 Wind Turbine
Outback FM60 charge controller
Outback FM80 charge controller
Outback VFX3648 inverter/chargers (2)
Outback FlexNet DC
CALB CA400 LiFePO4 3.2V batteries
(32 cells paired together, 1 string = 51.2V 800Ah)

Post by timmartin » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:58 pm

After your charge, can you check what the mate reports as the battery net amp hours? My guess is it's reporting positive, way over zero.

JRHill
Forum Czar

Post by JRHill » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:35 pm

timmartin wrote:After your charge, can you check what the mate reports as the battery net amp hours? My guess is it's reporting positive, way over zero.
I'm actually getting sun light today - probably the best solar day so far since I lost the sun in December - so the batteries are still taking power and here's the FlexNet DC screen Net (Bat soft key):

In ~14.7 A (changing), ~0.890 kW (changing), 83 AH (climbing), 4.620 kWh (climbing)
Out ~ 6.1 A (changing), ~ 0.380 kW (changing), 78 AH (climbing), 3.880 kWh (climbing)
Bat ~11 A (changing), ~ 0.530 kW (changing), 5 AH (climbing), 0.740 kWh (climbing)
MinSOC 99% 11:54 MaxSOC 100% 11:54

I know this is only a partial picture and it's bouncing off absorb voltage now (63.2), the countdown hasn't yet started. Don't have time to SG the bank but I'm sure it's right up there from all the sucking and squirting I've done lately ;-)

Jim

JRHill
Forum Czar

Post by JRHill » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:41 pm

I didn't run the gen set yesterday as a it was looking good from the little bit of sunlight, but by bedtime the SOC had come off 99-100% and quickly dropped to 91%. It was down to below 78% by mid morning and snowing heavily. So I'll do yet another reset after running through the full absorb and take some SGs if I don't have to fight my way to the battery box. This is really strange behavior.

Add to that that I can't get OpticsRE to stay connected for the last two days AND I have to load Firefox to be able to stay logged into this forum long enough to post a message. Lot's of weird stuff happening.