Forum Expert
My RE system: off grid arrangement:
panels: 17,500W
CC: four flexmax 80s
inverters: flexware 1000 with four vfx 3648 inverters,
batteries: trojan flooded: 53.2kwh

distilling your own water

Post by bsshirkey1 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:36 pm

does anybody distill their own water? i have a five gallon still that functions as a reflux still.
my battery tech support guy advised against making my own.
i responded saying that i had a dissolved solids meter and it should indicate if all the dissolved solids are removed.
he responded by saying that the meter wouldn't pick up some types of contaminants.
in the end though, i would think that if i double distilled my well water as an extra precaution, it should come out as pure distilled water.
any thoughts?
bryan

ralphday224
Forum Expert

Re: distilling your own water

Post by ralphday224 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:31 am

I've used a little Sears distiller for years for my battery water. Usually get enough batched during the sunny spring time to last at least a year. I took a sample to my water softener's installer for a dissolved solids check, came back clean. Batteries still in good shape after 11 years (except for 2 cells replaced under warranty). If you have the distiller already I'd say go ahead. I use about 6 litres per month (1.5 x 1 gallon jug).

Ralph

bsshirkey1
Forum Expert

Post by bsshirkey1 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:17 am

That's good to know. I'm a little bothered that the tech support guy says not to do it. But if you go to walmarts reviews on their website, there are some reviews saying that mildew grew from it in a Petri dish in a lab and that some people even reported odors. How do we know it was distilled right? I would rather distill my own.
Bry

bsshirkey1
Forum Expert

Post by bsshirkey1 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:09 am

are there any members here that use de-ionized water because they have concern about potential minerals/metals/oils that made it through the distillation process and into the distilled water?
bryan

offgridtod@gmail.com
Forum Whiz
My RE system: Failed Founder of Sangha Energy - the first off grid utility company and B-Corp. Off gridders are worse than utility customers when it comes to paying for services, so we shut it down. Plus, how do you shut them off when they don't pay - it's an issue for scaling the off grid tech.

Post by offgridtod@gmail.com » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:40 am

Would be great to have someone with expertise detail the procedure. Most or all of us spend time and gas money driving to get distilled water. I'm working on a solar distiller for drinking water but even a PV powered still would be great.
Tod duBois - Sangha Energy.org

bsshirkey1
Forum Expert

Post by bsshirkey1 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:27 am

makes me wonder if distilling rain water would be better than distilling water from the ground. afterall, rain water is sorta distilled already, except for the pollutants it's picked up while it was hanging around in the sky.

sodamo
Forum Czar
My RE system: Totally off grid - Hamakua side, Big Island, Hi

36 Trina 280 & 16 Phono 250 in 48 volt array (fixed) 14080w
Radians GG8048/GS4048 w GSLCs
4 FM 80 charge controllers
Hub 10.3
FNDC w/3 shunts
Mate 3s
OpticsRE - MMKL - Ninole Hi
12 SimpliPhi 3.8
14Kw Kohler 14RESA Propane

Charging Only
2FX3048T
Hub
FNDC. - shared shunt feeds from Radian FNDC
Mate 3s
10Kw MEP 803a Military gen

Honda EU7000i

Davis VantagePro2 Wx Station
On line at: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KHININOL2

Post by sodamo » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:57 pm

I use 2-3 per month and get at WallyWorld @$.98 per gallon. At less than $40 per year I'm not sure I see the value (for me)

Our water system is catchment (rainwater) and I have heard it said it can be used in batteries. I did once in another system one time and no bad effects noted.
David
Please visit http://vacation.ninolehawaii.com

bsshirkey1
Forum Expert

Post by bsshirkey1 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:56 am

my main fear is whats in the purchased distilled water. several reports had an aweful taste. one guy grew cultures in his distilled water. i just wonder if its safer to do it myself.
https://www.walmart.com/reviews/product ... g%3Aeq%3A1

sodamo
Forum Czar
My RE system: Totally off grid - Hamakua side, Big Island, Hi

36 Trina 280 & 16 Phono 250 in 48 volt array (fixed) 14080w
Radians GG8048/GS4048 w GSLCs
4 FM 80 charge controllers
Hub 10.3
FNDC w/3 shunts
Mate 3s
OpticsRE - MMKL - Ninole Hi
12 SimpliPhi 3.8
14Kw Kohler 14RESA Propane

Charging Only
2FX3048T
Hub
FNDC. - shared shunt feeds from Radian FNDC
Mate 3s
10Kw MEP 803a Military gen

Honda EU7000i

Davis VantagePro2 Wx Station
On line at: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KHININOL2

Post by sodamo » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:37 am

I prefer beer over water, never drink my distilled water. Batteries have not complained :grin:
David
Please visit http://vacation.ninolehawaii.com

SwDoctor
Forum Member
My RE system: Radian, Mate3, FlexNet, FlexMax

Post by SwDoctor » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:09 pm

I integrated and fitted my automation system with ability to sense a flow sensor and control a valve, then fitted my batteries with autofill shutoff valves.
Then I connected my REVERSE OSMOSIS system supply (thru a De-Ionizing Filter) to a 5psi water regulator.

Automation system counts the AMP HOURS in/out of the battery, and within a 14day period (MAX) it activates the valve until the flow sensor "stops". Then marks it as "completed" resetting the counters.
( I also use a purity monitor connected to the automation system, so the water is checked before/during filling )

Now, that is fancy I agree, but the water is PERFECT for batteries from an ordinary R.O. system if you use a DI filter.

IF you are low voltage OFF grid, you CAN use a RO system fed from an RV type 12v pressure pump, and the "source water" can be a rain barrel or creek. IT WILL WORK just fine. Done it for years, although now I am tied into the well pump I still use a RO Booster pump for more production.
-My 'portable watermaker' system consisted of a scrapped out generator frame with an RO system mounted into the framework, and a solar panel/charge controller (mini stuff) charging a SLA 12v 12AH battery. It used a RV pump (with built-in pressure cut-off switch) to feed water to the RO system. And had a small RO holding bladder tank with a spigot... Just toss the intake hose in a puddle or bucket, and you had good drinking water. The solar panel on top kept the system covered from the rain too...

The power consumed to create suitable water thru distillation is exponentially higher than any RO system. And the RO system can produce for a year (depends on source water quality- mine is pretty bad actually) between filter changes. (even with a room full of several forklift battery banks).

My DI / RO water is normally 'ZERO PPM' - the water quality alarm is set for 10ppm, and have changed filters once per year on average - when the alarm triggered.

Note that most battery manufacturers (i will quote "hawker" here) "ordinary tap water is sufficient" but iron and manganese are enemies of the battery. An RO system is $100-120 from ebay- no battery is that cheap... (not even one single cell!)

I really do take it for granted now that I never have to water my batteries, having the automation system kinda makes it like living on the grid. The battery fill valves are a great investment too, because you do not accelerate corrosion due to over-watering...

-Hope info helps
-Rick