LED lighting

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Off Grid Applications

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

Fritz
Forum Whiz

LED lighting

Post by Fritz » Wed May 20, 2015 6:57 pm

Just replaced a bunch of CF lights with LEDs.
They flicker pretty badly depending on other loads being on (mostly motors but also electronics cycling).
not pleasant.
THis is on a FX inverter, 12V system.
Remedies?
Separate inverter for LED lights? Since the Inverter makes it all one single circuit ,... right?

Clem Jonze
Forum Member
My RE system: 12 - 300 Watt ReneSola Panels. 48 Volts - Connected 4 strings of 3 @ 120 Volts each string. Midnight Solar Combiner box, 15 amp breakers - 1 each per string. FlexPower 1 3048. (FlexMax 80, Mate 3, HUB 4, Flexnet DC. Firmware version, (as of 05/28/2015 003.009.000. 8 - (wired in series) Deka L16 375 AH Batteries. The whole RE system lives in a "solar shed" located in the back yard, panels facing South - South West. 4 to 5 hours of full sun per day. Sub panel with 50A breaker that runs to House Main Panel. (ground bond removed from Flex Power 1 - Ground Bond @ Home Main Panel) No 240 V requirements - all 110 Volt.

Re: LED lighting

Post by Clem Jonze » Wed May 20, 2015 9:25 pm

I replaced all my 50W halogens with LED's a few months back, just before installing a Flex 1 system. Had the same problem. Bad flicker depending on loads. (while still on grid) Turns out it was the dimmers. Installed LED rated dimmers and problem solved! FYI: The LED's, (Amazon), work really, really well. Shocking how much power they save.

Ferretman
Forum Guru
My RE system: Outback FlexPower Two system with MATE2:
- X240 Transformer
- 3 Flexmate 80 charge controllers with Outback temperature compensation sensor
- 2 Outback VFX3648 inverters
- FlexnetDC charging controller

24 Outback 2700RE batteries and racking (2288 amp hour capacity total)

36 230W Conergy solar panels (ground mount)

Generac 15kw Propane Generator for backup

Battery/power shed is 9'x11', constructed of ICFs with a glycol radiant heat system embedded in the floor to help with winter temperature control. Big block window and custom 8" thick doors to provide light and insulated ingress/egress.

Davis Vantage 2 solar-powered & wireless weather station. Features:
- Fan-aspirated temperature and humidity gauges;
- Barometric pressure gauge;
- Rainfall collector;
- Anemometer (wind gauge) together with a wind direction indicator.

Post by Ferretman » Mon May 25, 2015 5:26 pm

I've found that I have to get LED lights that are not dimmable. If they are dimmable they have problems when the generator runs and passes through the Outback inverter/transformer on the way to the house (oddly it's definitely the Outback that causes this; I had to run the hour purely on the generator one evening and the one dimmable I still had behaved great). I just use the "non dimmable" ones (harder to find in the stores now, so I usually have to order them online) and they're awesome.

Steven in Colorado

RobL
Forum Guru
My RE system: (1) VFX3524, (3) FM60, 4KW PV, Kubota 6.5KW, Honda EU2000, Hub with Mate2, Surrette S430 and S1380 banks wired for 24V. This is my third system. started with a Dunlite 2KW Windcharger into 120V bank of 8D's into Honeywell rotary inverters in 1978.

Post by RobL » Tue May 26, 2015 3:45 pm

I have the same problem even if the dimmable lights are on a regular spst switch. I put a scope on the generator output (6.5 KW Kubota) and noticed a very bad sinewave due to the switch-mode character of the charger section of my inverter. Not a problem when I run my smaller Honda inverter generator. I will probably go to a separate charger to get around this problem.

REgards

Rob