A Puzzled Neighbor ...

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Off Grid Applications

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

OceanArcher
Forum Member

A Puzzled Neighbor ...

Post by OceanArcher » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:32 pm

My neighbor has a hunting camp several miles back in the woods. No grid power available there, so until recently he has been relying on a propane-fueled genset.

Recently, he had installed a PV array along with a Radian GS8048 and eight 12volt Optima batteries, wired in 4 by 2 series/parallel format. He has connected an ON/OFF switch to the INV contacts, and removed the shorting jumper J3 from the control board as described on page 28 of the Installation Manual. He is unable to get the inverter to "power on".

Thoughts, comments, suggestions ???
The idea is not to arrive at the grave in a perfectly preserved body, rather to slide in sideways at the last moment and exclaim, Whooie! What a ride."

dhamilton
OutBack Technical Service
My RE system: 2x VFXR3524A, FLEXmax80, 6x EnergyCell 106NC, Mate3

Re: A Puzzled Neighbor ...

Post by dhamilton » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:54 am

When you turn the battery breaker on do you get the fans in the inverter to fire up. How to you have the batteries wired to the bottom of the Radian? Make sure you are powering up both power modules, and not just one.

OceanArcher
Forum Member

Post by OceanArcher » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:36 pm

Thanks to dhamilton for his reply --

Power is routed from the battery bank to the Radian via two 175Amp DC breakers - one for each of the positive cables going to the battery input. The negative leads are not interrupted, and connect directly to the 'common negative' of the battery bank. The inverter fans do not run, nothing happens. The inverter just hangs there on the wall studs ...
The idea is not to arrive at the grave in a perfectly preserved body, rather to slide in sideways at the last moment and exclaim, Whooie! What a ride."

Solar Jason
Forum Guru

Post by Solar Jason » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:00 pm

Can you verify the polarity going to the inverter? With the breakers on, what is the voltage right on input studs on the inverter? I can't remember, I think I have heard that a mate is needed to run the inverter.

OceanArcher
Forum Member

Post by OceanArcher » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:58 pm

Thanks to Solar Jason for his question --

The voltage measured on the connections at the inverter are 50.43vdc on the right side pair, and 50.18vdc on the left side pair. Positive voltage is connected to the red terminals. The meter is reading properly, because I checked it with a battery from my flashlight to make sure I didn't have the leads crossed.

I can't speak to the statement concerning a MATE3 device. Dave says he was assured that it wasn't necessary on his installation - that the system will run properly on the default settings from the factory .....

Solar Jason
Forum Guru

Post by Solar Jason » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:26 am

I don't know if they changed this since the post is about two years old but, about 13 posts down this page:

http://www.outbackpower.com/forum/viewt ... 46b2e70580

Re: Radian

Postby mraub on Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:27 pm
The Mate3 IS required for the Radian. The Mate3 is the only Mate that will work with the Radian, and you need it in order to turn the Radian on.
~Mary Raub
Former Tech Support

OceanArcher
Forum Member

Post by OceanArcher » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:03 am

OOOok --

I've passed your comment back to Dave. He says emphatically, that he was told the system will work without a MATE3.

I'm going to act as a "fly upon his wall", and a go-between to get his system back operational.

Since there's another area on this Forum with a similar concern/comment, I'll try and keep my comments consistant

Solar Jason
Forum Guru

Post by Solar Jason » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:16 pm

Page 35 of the owners manual. Basic troubleshooting:

Symptom:
No AC output (will not invert).

Possible Cause:
Unit defaulted off
(No MATE3 present; initial install; J3 confirmed present).

Remedy:
The Radian inverter is given an initial OFF command in the factory. With DC present, use narrow pliers to remove jumper J3 from its pins. Once removed, install it again. This is the equivalent of ÔÇ£jiggling the switch.ÔÇØ

Just curious, with the battery power on, there should be some LEDs on the left hand boards. Are they on?