Coluld be adding more panels

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Off Grid Applications

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

rubiks1
Forum Expert
My RE system: 5.2 KW grid tie system. Fronius 5100 inverter, 26 Kyocera 200 watt panels in 2 strings of 13

Coluld be adding more panels

Post by rubiks1 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:57 pm

Hello everyone

I currently have a 610 ah batter bank ( 8 concorde sun extenders 305 ea) , with a GVFX 3524 (not using sell back) and a FM60 charge controller (will be upgrading to a FM80 soon) with 4 Kyocera 235 watt panels. Currently the 4 panels are pointing south with a touch of west and angled at 30 degrees ( on a adjustable tilt which I will change for the seasons). I do have a grid tie system that has some rack space open that is facing the same direction but is at 11 degrees. The grid tie setup was installed back on 2007 using unirac etc. My question is if I extended out the racking on the grid tied system to accommodate 4 more 235 watt panels would it cause issues in the winter since I can not tilt that array? Would the lower voltage from that string of 4 additional panels drag down the ones that are tilted?

Thanks in advance

MyEnergyWarehouse
Forum Whiz
My RE system: Radian Inverter, Mate 3, FM 80

Re: Coluld be adding more panels

Post by MyEnergyWarehouse » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:49 pm

rubiks1 wrote:Would the lower voltage from that string of 4 additional panels drag down the ones that are tilted?
Yes, that is how it works.

You said that you have the FM60 now and want to upgrade to the FM80. Have you considered keeping the FM60 on the current panels and using the FM80 upgrade on the new panels? That should eliminate the different output levels on the two strings.

blackswan555
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Post by blackswan555 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:11 am

Would the lower voltage from that string of 4 additional panels drag down the ones that are tilted?
No you would need a load for that, They simply would not contribute as much as "The better ones"

Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.

MyEnergyWarehouse
Forum Whiz
My RE system: Radian Inverter, Mate 3, FM 80

Post by MyEnergyWarehouse » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:20 am

blackswan555 wrote:No you would need a load for that, They simply would not contribute as much as "The better ones"

Tim
Tim, would you care the explain your thinking? I'm not understanding your valued contribution.