My RE system: Off Grid
6 x 280w panels connected to Flexmax 80 charge controller
+
6 x 300w panels connected to Flexmax 80 charge controller
Flexnet DC
Hub 10
2 x FX2024E
Mate
12 x Rolls 2 KS 33PS in series (24v, CAPACITY AT THE 20 HOUR RATE = 1766 AH)
Kipor 8.5 KVA Diesel Generator

Struggling to get batteries back to SG1.265

Post by TimNZ » Tue May 28, 2013 11:25 pm

My new battery bank is now 5 months old. The batteries performed well over the summer and I was able to get them occasionally deep cycled, charged up and equalised on sunny days. I was able to fine tune things using the BCF value.

NZ is now heading into winter. The battery bank is well insulated so I should not be losing too much efficiency from the batteries getting overly cold.

However, I find I am in the situaion where the system is telling me the batteries SOC is 100% but when I check the SG it around 1.220-1.225. I notice that when the mate shows that the batteries are 100% the system goes to float, which is not what I want when the sun is shining and the batteries still need charging.

I have tried to force the charge in the following ways:-

- early morning before the sun gets on the panels - put on the generator. This will initally provide around 100A to the batteries for about 30 min but the current flow to the batteries quickly falls off to zero. I am not sure why this happens.

- once the sun is strong [but batteries are floating], use the AC hot key, press four times you get to "charger mode control" and manually select 'Bulk' charge. This works well when the SOC is around 80-90% however as soon as the mate thinks the batteries are 100% it seems to turn off the bulk charging and start floating again.
To overcome the bulk charging going off within minutes when the mate is showing 100% SOC, I have started to select equalise to force the batteries to keep charging. I do this when I know the SG is around 1.225, even though the system says SOC 100%. The equalise mode does keep the batteries charging.

My queries are as follows:-
1) how do I ensure the systems knows tha actual state of charge of the batteries. I have just reduced the BCF from 89% to 85% thinking that this will help. Any tips on other actions I can take to stablise things would be much appreciated.
2) Is there any way to force the generator to keep charging the batteries for say 2-3 hours
3) Is there any way to stop the mate switching to float charging when it thinks the batteries are full but infact I know (from checking the SG) that they are not.

and finally :roll:
Am I expecting too much to think I can get to SG 1.26 in winter. The average night temperate here at the moment is just above freezing and day temperate around 9 celsium = approx 50 fahrenheit. Rolls surrette say that at 40 Fahrenheit 100% batteries have a SG of 1.243 - 1.263.

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts =D>
Tim

blackswan555
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Re: Struggling to get batteries back to SG1.265

Post by blackswan555 » Wed May 29, 2013 2:22 am

I would go back to "on the high side" timed charging until I got SG`s back up then "start" to calibrate FNDC again, Do not forget , it is only as good as it is programmed and that will drift over time,

So, Disable FNDC charge control, Set FM absorb to all day @ 29v, I would start with a 5 hour gen absorb time to "give a bit back" AGS settings of, 2 min> 23.9v. 2hr> 24v. 24 hr>24.1,(As a rough guesstimate, That should be around 70 ish % SOC) Charge voltage of 29.2v,
Keep a close eye on water usage, But it should not be too bad at the above, Monitor SG`s, they should start to rise over a little time ( you could do an early morn gen start > sunny day to kick start it if you want)
When the SG`s are back to reasonable levels, re-install FNDC ( bats MUST be 100% SOC when you do this !!!) Leave system on timed & calibrate FNDC to the batteries,

Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.

SandyP
Forum Guru
My RE system: 8 x 190W 24V Suntech panels (4 strings of 2) July 2011
4 x 325W 24V Suntech panels (2 strings of 2) added Sept2018
Mate2
Outback FM60 MPPT (max output lowered to 55amps)
12 x 2V Hoppecke GEL 660 Ah C100 - 24V System
Outback VFX3024 Inverter/Charger
Victron BMV-602s
Honda 5.5kW Genset

Post by SandyP » Wed May 29, 2013 4:08 am

blackswan555 wrote:Disable FNDC charge control,
When the SG`s are back to reasonable levels, re-install FNDC ( bats MUST be 100% SOC when you do this !!!) Leave system on timed & calibrate FNDC to the batteries,

Tim
Have to agree that the FNDC seems to be the issue and that this may have misled you to think the batteries were OK however, (as you may already know) you do not have enough solar panels for the battery Ah and another 6 of your 280W panels would help.

blackswan555
Forum Emperor

Post by blackswan555 » Wed May 29, 2013 6:10 am

I must admit I am not a fan of the FNDC for most of my customers as their usage patterns are so unpredictable & it can lead to a false sense of security, I use pretty much what I have described above, Then use the readings from the FNDC through wattplot/greenmonitor to fine tune the gen run time (Watch charge A flat-line + 15min) Also use a higher charge voltage from gen, + .2v >.4v, It will shorten absorb time & be a little better on fuel,
The solar, If you can monitor water usage reasonably to start, Run all day absorb, then adjust voltage until the water usage is reasonable, if you can get "good" absorb, it will reduce your need to EQ, The only real downside of too long absorb (At reasonable voltage) is excess water usage.

As mentioned, you are very short on panels, These big rolls take an awful lot of "pushing up the hill through bulk", I doubt if they would even in Summer "well" with just panels,
As a rough estimate if you set it the way I have described, I would not be surprised to a first gen run time of 20 + hours, By your SG`s you have around 900ah to "put back" 720a of that in bulk about 4.5 hrs + Absorb 180A, could be 18+hrs ( 80% of charge is returned in 20% of the time in Bulk, Absorb,20% of charge takes 80% of the time)

Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.

Kent Osterberg
Forum Emperor
My RE system: SMA Sunny Boy 2500 with eight Mobil Solar Ra 180 modules

Post by Kent Osterberg » Wed May 29, 2013 9:31 am

Make sure that you turn off FNDC charge controller coordination. Go to the menu ADV/MATE/PG3/FN-DC and make sure that enable FN-DC charge termination is set to NO. There are flaws in the FNDC firmware that will cause it to prematurely indicate that the batteries are 100% full. By running the generator in the morning you are almost certainly setting up the circumstance that this happens. Don't let the FNDC terminate solar charging!

TimNZ
Forum Member
My RE system: Off Grid
6 x 280w panels connected to Flexmax 80 charge controller
+
6 x 300w panels connected to Flexmax 80 charge controller
Flexnet DC
Hub 10
2 x FX2024E
Mate
12 x Rolls 2 KS 33PS in series (24v, CAPACITY AT THE 20 HOUR RATE = 1766 AH)
Kipor 8.5 KVA Diesel Generator

Post by TimNZ » Wed May 29, 2013 8:36 pm

Thanks all, this is very helpful.
turn off FNDC charge controller coordination
I already had this set to OFF so I am not sure why the mate continues to try to such down the bulk charging when it sees the batteries are full / nearly full.
I would go back to "on the high side" timed charging until I got SG`s back up then "start" to calibrate FNDC again, Do not forget , it is only as good as it is programmed and that will drift over time, So, Disable FNDC charge control,
I am not sure how I disable FNDC charge control. It seems integral to the system. Can you give me further advice on how to do this?

I have AGS parameters roughly set as advised and Charge voltage is already 29.2v.

looks like I may have to stock up on distilled water. These big batteries certainly do take some topping up!
I realise I am short on charging power and will eventually have to bite the bullet and get an extra array of panels and a another charge controller.

cheers :grin:
Tim

blackswan555
Forum Emperor

Post by blackswan555 » Thu May 30, 2013 1:40 am

AFAIR (Its been a while since I have done this particular part, Please correct/ add if I am wrong people :-) ) It`s a bit mate dependent (firmware) but as-well as turning off as you have mentioned, Set SOC start & Stop both to "0", Failing that, Unplug it`s data lead for now :grin:

Tim

SandyP
Forum Guru
My RE system: 8 x 190W 24V Suntech panels (4 strings of 2) July 2011
4 x 325W 24V Suntech panels (2 strings of 2) added Sept2018
Mate2
Outback FM60 MPPT (max output lowered to 55amps)
12 x 2V Hoppecke GEL 660 Ah C100 - 24V System
Outback VFX3024 Inverter/Charger
Victron BMV-602s
Honda 5.5kW Genset

Post by SandyP » Thu May 30, 2013 3:22 am

blackswan555 wrote: Unplug it`s data lead for now :grin:
Tim
Agree with the unplug option, as the instructions (1401103033437flexnet_dc.pdf) at http://www.outbackpower.com/products/co ... lexnet_dc/ are vague as to turning the FNDC OFF. All I can see in the instructions is a reference to the AUX mode On/Off and resetting the FNDC.

SteveHiggins
Forum Czar

Post by SteveHiggins » Thu May 30, 2013 6:36 am

Hey Tim,

Your SG's are a bit low...not much because of the lower temps... Nice thing about flooded cells is you can make short time adjustments to compensate for SG issues.

I would temporarily increase the Absorb voltage of the controllers ..4-.8 volts ups to do what I call, a "mini EQ"... This should help get your SG's in the 1.255-1.260 range. Depending on the amount of sun you have it may take a few weeks but this is better than running a genset.

Also with the FNDC, make sure that your Absorb timers are set in the extreme ranges of way too long. The Absorb timers can affect when the FNDC thinks your batts are full. To short of a timer, and it will cause the FNDC to reset 100% SOC Early.

These systems are like driving a car, it takes many minor changes over a period of time to keep the system healthy... those customers who set it and forget it tend to run into all kinds of trouble.
Steve Higgins
Technical Services Director- Surrette Battery Company

\

unicornio
Forum Guru
My RE system: VFX3024E - FM60X2 - Hub4 - FlexNet DC 3 shunts - Mate3- Array DC GFS & AC Bypass from Outback - 985 AH C120 OPzS EXIDE Solar Classic battery - KYOCERA 1,56 KWp PV Array- Lorentz ETATrack Solar Tracker with easy inclination axis variation system- 6KVA Yanmar Chinese bio-diesel genset in AGS mode via DeepSea 3110 & Mate3 - Efergy Elite energy monitor- PCE-FWS20 (Watson) Solar Meteo Station

Post by unicornio » Thu May 30, 2013 3:02 pm

about FlexNet, I understand that their work is impossible without a good setup, and I confess that I have taken a few months to have it fine tuned ... I think it's a task that you ned to make "handcraft", and you have to spent so much time to get to have an instrument reliable and accurate to drive and complete the proper use and care of the battery ...the most critical parameter is the return of the amp, but once achieved the perfect figure for your battery, (with a pencil and notebook in a hand, and densimeter/ termometer in the other hand) we can rest assured that we can know exactly the state of charge of our battery, while we know that the absorption time will be adjusted to charge while lovingly care to last for many years ...
in the market there is not a comprehensive control system or a batteries centralized monitor that control all devices charging as flexnet, although that outback will have to keep working on it and maybe updating today operating units...

Tim (and others) recommendations about getting up the density are totally true and it is also true that until we have a fully charged battery can not really expect the flexnet properly accounted for the state of our battery ...

hope this help!...;-)
http://www.tallerecologicolosunicornios.org/ Monitor On-Line planta de energia solar: http://www.jeperez.com/monitor-solar-outback/ Servico Tecnico Oficial de OutBack en Espa├▒a http://www.viviendaaislada.es/

blackswan555
Forum Emperor

Post by blackswan555 » Fri May 31, 2013 1:05 am

the most critical parameter is the return of the amp,
Agreed, But and it is a BIG but :grin: It is not temp compensated ](*,) so therefore changes with temp (yes that one "had me")

I tried the digital Hydrometer "method" of charge termination, Again you run into temp variation issues & it get`s dirty, I do not do much Solar anymore or that equipment would have been re-used as a "Flat-line" controller, watches amps flatl-ine, add 15 mins, stops gen, Maybe one day lol

Tim

unicornio
Forum Guru
My RE system: VFX3024E - FM60X2 - Hub4 - FlexNet DC 3 shunts - Mate3- Array DC GFS & AC Bypass from Outback - 985 AH C120 OPzS EXIDE Solar Classic battery - KYOCERA 1,56 KWp PV Array- Lorentz ETATrack Solar Tracker with easy inclination axis variation system- 6KVA Yanmar Chinese bio-diesel genset in AGS mode via DeepSea 3110 & Mate3 - Efergy Elite energy monitor- PCE-FWS20 (Watson) Solar Meteo Station

Post by unicornio » Fri May 31, 2013 6:52 am

blackswan555 wrote:
the most critical parameter is the return of the amp,
Agreed, But and it is a BIG but :grin: It is not temp compensated ](*,) so therefore changes with temp (yes that one "had me")
the issue of temperature is very important, (essential) and I think (and wish) that outback will resolve it as soon as possible ... the temperature have vital importance, and having a sensor available centrally in the system, it is a shame that they not have implemented in the flexnetdc from the beginning ... ...
blackswan555 wrote:
I tried the digital Hydrometer "method" of charge termination, Again you run into temp variation issues & it get`s dirty, I do not do much Solar anymore or that equipment would have been re-used as a "Flat-line" controller, watches amps flatl-ine, add 15 mins, stops gen, Maybe one day lol
Tim
You know I follow with so much interest the project Tim/Stephen for an optical/ real time/ electronic densimeter ...but finally I used my hand densimeter (and many hours) to know when the battery reaches the density to know when to stop the absorption, and now the system keeps all the correct density all days, by a dynamic adjusting absorption time, but as you very well say, regardless of temperature ... is a shame!...
http://www.tallerecologicolosunicornios.org/ Monitor On-Line planta de energia solar: http://www.jeperez.com/monitor-solar-outback/ Servico Tecnico Oficial de OutBack en Espa├▒a http://www.viviendaaislada.es/

Surfpath
Forum Expert
My RE system: Outback Flexpower-1-6 system (VFX3048e, FM80, 48v, 50hz, 240v), 2,750w of PV (4 series of 3 panels/ea, 100v max-combiner to controller), 370amp/hr L16REB battery bank. Honda 2k briefcase generator. 100% offgrid.

Post by Surfpath » Fri May 31, 2013 1:46 pm

SandyP wrote:
blackswan555 wrote:Disable FNDC charge control,

Tim
Have to agree that the FNDC seems to be the issue and that this may have misled you to think the batteries were OK however, (as you may already know) you do not have enough solar panels for the battery Ah and another 6 of your 280W panels would help.
Hi,
Sandy & Tim are right - 1) you have too many amp hours for your PV (at least for PV-alone charging), & 2) you've got an FNDC that reports 100% when SG's are (in reality) much lower. I have stopped blaming my FNDC, it only knows what you tell it . Pity they can't 'chat' with their hydrometer pals, hey?

Regarding PV to AMP hrs: I have 370 AH of battery and 2000w of panels, and sometimes I struggle to bring SG up to 100%. 9 out of 10 days I get 90%. At least every week I get 100%.

Re. your FNDC: I had a somewhat similar experience This link detailing my early efforts to increase absorb times may be of help.
http://www.outbackpower.com/forum/viewt ... =17&t=7119

It's been busy and I have't updated my thread but, instead of unplugging my FNDC, in the end I just reduced my end amps to a very low number (1 or 2%?). The result is that my absorb times increased from about 25 minutes aget those additional panel day to ~2.5 to 3 hours/d. It was a simple, temporary fix, but my batteries seem happy now. This summer I will properly reset (ie unplug and then plug back in) my FNDC when I have 100% SG, and then carefully monitor my system to determine a more realistic end amps value (meant to be ~ ~2% of your bank's amp hour).
Best wishes.

petertearai
Forum Guru
My RE system: 2220 watt pv, fm80, outback fxr 2000 watt inverter. Shoto 12 times 2 volt exc400 lead carbon batterys 24 volt system victron battery moniter. optics RE

Post by petertearai » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:30 am

Hi If your batts quickly drop in the charge rate in the morning on the gen it may be that you have some sulphation?. If that is the case then the use of EQ may help that out. I dont have the hub and fndc so only have the fm80 to play with , but it makes it a lot simpler. Yes I think disconecting the hub and stuff will make it easyer to see waht is hapening and to make changes. If the rts is conected to the fm80 then you can see aprox the battery temp from the rts number. (THat info is someware on this forum). With that size of battery i would be looking to get alot more PV as I dont thik you have enough capacity to charge them adequatly at the moment. Also Make sure you have the temp compensation to wide so you get the full temperature compensation.
Regards peter
2220 pv. fm80. 12 times 2 volt exc shoto lead carbon 450 AH 24 volts. victron battery monitor. outback fxr 2000 watt inverter

HawaiianDrummer
Forum Guru
My RE system: 1-FM60's, 2-FM80's 2- FX3048's, Mate3, Hub 10, 12 US 64 w panels, 12 Kyocera
175 W panels, 21 Kyocera 225 W panels, 6 SimpliPhi 67 AH 48 batteries for 402 AH Battery
bank, Flexnet DC and Optics RE

Post by HawaiianDrummer » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:39 am

Aloha, After a LONG time since my last posts after installing FNDC and installing 24 ea. 2V batteries I can confidently say that I have a large enough AMP HR Battery bank to meet and exceed my daily usage, and that with carefully calibrating my FNDC to show lower than posted accumulated charge values, that my charging parameters are being met successfully, my gen rarely ever starts anymore unless a bit cloudy, then only for 1 hr from 9 A. M. to 10 A. M. and my specific gravity readings are getting up to 1.275 to 1.280 most every day. So the low down is I had to spend $9,000.00 on the battery bank I needed in the first place to match my high usage needs. And by also setting FNDC charge end to "NO" I get the charging I need, plus the assurance that I know what is going in and out of my battery bank, like Tim and others have said...the FNDC is a good tool "when calibrated to your particular situations". In closing, please invest in a larger battery bank to save yourself money in the long term, you will be happier, I know that I am! ...No more wasting gas money to run the generator every day or two, No more adding water to the battery cells all the time, AND... Peace of mind! I am grateful to use Out Back Power Technologies, it just took a little more investment than I first planned, but still thankful. David

gww
Forum Guru
My RE system: 1. installed
2. 5640 watts mx panels
3. 2 axial flux Hugh Piggot 500 watt turbines
5. 2 gvfx 3648 inverters
6. 1 mx 60 charge controller, 1 fm 80 and 1 morningstar ts60 pmw
7. outback mount, panel and sub panel
8. mate
9. 4 place hub
10. couple more cc, doc wattson
11. 800 ah, 48 volt fork truck battery

Post by gww » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:52 pm

david
Thanks for the update. How low do you take your batteries daily?

Please keep letting us know things you like and things you don't.
Sounds great
gww

HawaiianDrummer
Forum Guru
My RE system: 1-FM60's, 2-FM80's 2- FX3048's, Mate3, Hub 10, 12 US 64 w panels, 12 Kyocera
175 W panels, 21 Kyocera 225 W panels, 6 SimpliPhi 67 AH 48 batteries for 402 AH Battery

Post by HawaiianDrummer » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:22 am

Aloha, In reply to GWW I have my 2 min setting to start gen if below 47.7 V.D.C. so that for my 48 V system I guess that equates to 25 % D.O.D. It makes it easy to get batteries bulked up the next morning by 10 A.M.....in the past with my old smaller sized 800 A.H. battery bank, I use to deplete them to 44.8 V.D.C. which I have learned the expensive lesson, that D.O.D. was WAY TOO LOW! David

gww
Forum Guru
2. 5640 watts mx panels
5. 2 gvfx 3648 inverters
8. mate
9. 4 place hub

Post by gww » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:49 pm

I read on another site that your 47.7 would be about 50% DOD. Are you going by the manufactuers numbers? I know that going to the nominal bank voltage is a rule of thumb for 50% dod and may not be a true 50% DOD if under load. It would be higher then that when the load is turned off. I am trying to learn, do you have thoughts or guidence on the above?

Thanks
gww

HawaiianDrummer
Forum Guru

Post by HawaiianDrummer » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:43 am

Aloha, gww in regards to your quire about my DOD "I plead the 5th amendment" My post was only posted to emphasize how happy I am now finally to have my power usage met by investing in my 24 Trojan RE16 1,110 AH 2 V batteries, that are meeting and exceeding my power usage without having to run my gen everyday or two, I am no electrician or mathematician to know how to determine dod i just know my system is finally working. sorry, thanks David

blackswan555
Forum Emperor

Post by blackswan555 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:13 am

David, What are your low SG`s ? 1.230`s ish at a guess ?

Tim

gww
Forum Guru
2. 5640 watts mx panels
5. 2 gvfx 3648 inverters
8. mate
9. 4 place hub

Post by gww » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:30 pm

David
Hey, I am cool with it. I only point out things that kind of stand out and don't know enough to help even if a system did need fine tuned. I do really apretiate you taking the time to give an update. I stick with my hoping that you keep doing so through the years. Again pointing out the things you do like and the things that sort of go wrong.
Thanks for shareing
gww

HawaiianDrummer
Forum Guru

Post by HawaiianDrummer » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:51 pm

Aloha, Tim I just checked tonight 8:35 P.M. and specific gravity's are all up at 1.270 to 1.275 So I am happy with that for we have been using TVs and PC for past 4 hrs. I am not up early in A.M. to check S.G. I will try to get up early one day and check....I know that low voltages don't go lower than 47.6 V.D.C. now so I am also happy with that! ...and I even have 2 water pumps that take turns running 24 Hrs a day along with air pump to sustain my fish in my Aquaponics garden system. So I repeat that investing in a substantial battery bank for your solar system is a crucial item for successful year, after year, after year, operation in an off grid solar set up with high usage. Again Thank You Out Back and all forum contributors! David \:D/

blackswan555
Forum Emperor

Post by blackswan555 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:26 am

David, Keep in mind these are deep cycle batteries and they do need the occasional deep cycle, Running a big set of batteries "Soft" as opposed to running a little set "Hard" can also be detrimental to life span, Try to have a dip to find your lowest SG`s, I like to see the occasional 1.200 ish

Tim

HawaiianDrummer
Forum Guru

Post by HawaiianDrummer » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:19 am

Aloha, You were right again Tim .... I managed to get up early today (early for me that is) at 6:30 A.M. and checked the Specific Gravity, they were all at 1.230 and I liked that. After you suggested that even larger battery banks need occasional deep cycling, I started using our dish washer and washing machine at night time hrs. now, to try and accomplish this. Much thanks again for your knowledgeable support. David

blackswan555
Forum Emperor

Post by blackswan555 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:34 am

You may also want to have a dip during day time, I would take a guess with that amount of panels you will hit absorb reasonably early in day & they are "full" for most of the afternoon, As the batteries demand for amps drop off, May be worth using any heavy equipment then, Some even add a water heater automatically controlled by FM etc
Edited to add, It`s around 20% more efficient if the power does not have to go in & out of batts :smile:

Tim