Re-try autostart when genny is cold (second time works, can it be programmed?)

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Off Grid Applications

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

charley
Forum Junior Member
My RE system: Outback VFX2812 W inverter, Power Center, MX 60 controller and Mate; Midnight Solar Classic 200 controller; winter hydropower system with separate Morningstar controller; 3 separate solar arrays, one old uncontrolled one

Re-try autostart when genny is cold (second time works, can it be programmed?)

Post by charley » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:32 am

I've been upgrading my home-brewed 12-volt solar/winter-hydro system with an auto-on Honda 7000 generator that I converted to propane. The conversion seller recommended I install a 3-wire autostart system that was endlessly glitchy, so I swapped in a 2-wire that indeed is simpler and works better. But I only need the genny for a month or two while storm-clouds gather over our solar panels, until enough rain falls that my hydro spring erupts. So it only runs in cold weather, and when it's colder than 45 degrees or so, the genny doesn't start at first try. It does on second try, as if the first time acts like a choke. So I'm hoping I can program an auto-retry in 10 seconds or something if it doesn't fire. Instead I get the fail code instantly, which has to be cleared before anything can happen automatically. Is there a solution? Thanks!

EMCF
Forum Virtuoso
My RE system: FX3048, 4 200a batteries, FM60. 3 kw array

Re: Re-try autostart when genny is cold (second time works, can it be programmed?)

Post by EMCF » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:32 am

I am confused. Where does Outback gear comes into play in your issues? If you are using AGS on the MATE, the Gen turn ON signal is a constant 12VDC from the AUX output of the inverter. The Gen stop signal is when the AUX output becomes 0VDC.So I'm not clear on your first try and second try situation.
Outback Fanboy at your service

charley
Forum Junior Member
My RE system: Outback VFX2812 W inverter, Power Center, MX 60 controller and Mate; Midnight Solar Classic 200 controller; winter hydropower system with separate Morningstar controller; 3 separate solar arrays, one old uncontrolled one

Re: Re-try autostart when genny is cold (second time works, can it be programmed?)

Post by charley » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:48 pm

All I know is that the gennie doesn't turn over, just briefly chugs and dies, then the Mate message in the upper left which now reads FX TOTALS instead gives a generic fail msg (sorry I can't remember it) which requires turning auto-on off and on again to reactivate the function. I would like to repeat the auto-on signal before it fails and freezes. I'm sorry, I don't understand why this doesn't involve OutBack gear. Thanks for following up!

sodamo
Forum Czar
My RE system: Totally off grid - Hamakua side, Big Island, Hi

36 Trina 280 & 16 Phono 250 in 48 volt array (fixed) 14080w
Radians GG8048/GS4048 w GSLCs
4 FM 80 charge controllers
Hub 10.3
FNDC w/3 shunts
Mate 3s
OpticsRE - MMKL - Ninole Hi
12 SimpliPhi 3.8
14Kw Kohler 14RESA Propane

Charging Only
2FX3048T
Hub
FNDC. - shared shunt feeds from Radian FNDC
Mate 3s
10Kw MEP 803a Military gen

Honda EU7000i

Davis VantagePro2 Wx Station
On line at: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KHININOL2

Post by sodamo » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:33 pm

I can’t see a fix via Outback. Check with your converter people or find out if the autostart can be made to retry if it fails.
David
Please visit http://vacation.ninolehawaii.com

JRHill
Forum Czar
My RE system: VFX 3648, FM80, 3k panels, Mate3, FNDC (retired), 8ea L16 mixed. Wonderful wife.

Post by JRHill » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:47 am

I'm not for sure on which Honda generator you have but if its the EU7000, there is NO choke as its fuel injected. That's for sure one of the beauties of the unit and its efficiency. And propane fueled units don't need a choke anyway because choking does not pull more propane into the mix like it does with a carburetor and enrichening is really not needed in most all cases.

If I have a generator run fail with the Honda I mostly always get an error and an email from OpticsRE. I can't recall that the run has ever re initiated and, frankly, I wouldn't want that to happen until I corrected the fault. Usually for me its that the power plug had been moved to the "mouse" generator for a long absorb run and I forgot to plug the Honda back in, hence the error.

If I can ask, why did you go with propane? When using it you must derate the generator output. It brings in a whole new set of troubleshooting issues that are hard to diagnose and some other issues. There are bunches of options for extension tanks for the generators running gasoline so you can control backup supply in extended/unmonitored situations. (I'm sure I'll get some heated feedback on this comment but its mine alone and from my past experiments).

One last thought: Shut down the propane feed and go back to gas, if you can, for a test. If all works well then you just solved a bunch of guessing.