GSLC Bypass wiring for Off-Grid and OpticsRE

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Off Grid Applications

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

GSLC Bypass wiring for Off-Grid and OpticsRE

Postby clarkef on Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:44 pm

Just finished fixing a fuel leak in my military surplus generator and wiring it into the new GSLC and Radian.

The new GSLC PV120/240 comes with the input/output bypass breaker/interlock. My Radian 8048A is configured for Off-Grid. There is no grid and never will be. In setting it to off-grid the Grid-In lable shows are Generator now. So both AC Inputs are "Grid Input Mode": Generator.

Looking at the wiring for the Bypass Breaker/Interlock - that came hardwired to the Grid-In TBB's. As I wanted to be able to use the bypass breaker with my generator (and when I chose "off-grid" mode it changed the AC Input "Grid" mode to be Generator) - I therefor used the Grid-In TBB's and landed my generator output there. That way I can flip the bypass and run the loads on generator.

The question is related to how the Generator input is treated for AH/KW in to the system. When running on generator, OpticsRE shows grid power with it's little animated flow powering the charger - even though the grid input has been configured to be generator. The generator output remains greyed out. The OpticsRE shows the added AH as having come from Grid.

Should I re-wire my Bypass breaker to take the bypass from Generator TBB's and move the generator outputs to the generator TBB's so that the charge accumulation values are going to the right category? Is this an OpticsRE bug? (maybe I should have posted this is OpticsRE?). Should I just swap the grid and generator inputs to the Radian and leave the wiring as is?

Looking for the consensus.

Thanks!
Attachments
GridInvsGeneratorIn.JPG
clarkef
Forum Whiz

My RE system: Radian 8048A w/PV GSLC
FM100 CC x3
10KW of 72 cell panels (5S3P x2)
2000AH of Li-Ion modules @48v pending with BMS
Midnite Combiners, SPDs

Re: GSLC Bypass wiring for Off-Grid and OpticsRE

Postby Kurt Lundquist on Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:37 am

If you are manually starting the generator it is just seen as an AC source. I think you have to use AGS to start the generator for OpticsRE to show the gen as active. I'm 90% sure it has nothing to do with your programmed input mode or wither you are using AC1 (labeled Grid) or AC2 (labeled Gen) input bus bars. It would be pretty easy to move L1/L2 from the Grid to Gen bus bars if you want to test it out.

-Kurt
Kurt Lundquist
Renewable Energy Project Engineer
http://alphaenergy.us/
Kurt Lundquist
Alpha Energy Engineering

My RE system: VFX3524, Mate3, 200Ah 24V AGM Battery Bank

Postby clarkef on Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:33 pm

Kurt Lundquist wrote:If you are manually starting the generator it is just seen as an AC source. I think you have to use AGS to start the generator for OpticsRE to show the gen as active. I'm 90% sure it has nothing to do with your programmed input mode or wither you are using AC1 (labeled Grid) or AC2 (labeled Gen) input bus bars. It would be pretty easy to move L1/L2 from the Grid to Gen bus bars if you want to test it out.

-Kurt

Thanks Kurt - I'll give that a try - just swapping the inputs on the Radian to see if the flow-diagram/credit for AH changes. I do have a two-wire remote start kit to add to the generator to use AGS functionality. It's a bit further down my list...

Will report if it changes shortly.
clarkef
Forum Whiz

FM100 CC x3
Midnite Combiners, SPDs

Postby Kurt Lundquist on Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:44 pm

Sooo....I spoke with some people at OutBack and it sounds like if you use the gen input bus bars it will show the generator providing power instead of the grid regardless of AGS. Either way, I'd love to hear what you find out. I bet it wouldn't be too difficult to move the bypass from the grid bus bars to the gen bus bars if you do find that the Gen input is the way to go. The bypass is really nice to have if you need to take the battery bank offline or do other maintenance work.

Thanks,

-Kurt
Kurt Lundquist
Renewable Energy Project Engineer
http://alphaenergy.us/
Kurt Lundquist
Alpha Energy Engineering

My RE system: VFX3524, Mate3, 200Ah 24V AGM Battery Bank

Postby clarkef on Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:36 pm

Kurt Lundquist wrote:Sooo....I spoke with some people at OutBack and it sounds like if you use the gen input bus bars it will show the generator providing power instead of the grid regardless of AGS.

I’ll let you know tomorrow. Swapped the inputs in the Radian, but ran out of time to actually test.
clarkef
Forum Whiz

FM100 CC x3
Midnite Combiners, SPDs

Postby clarkef on Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:32 pm

Sure enough. While the generator is running and the input is fed to the Generator In on the Radian both the Mate3s and OpticsRE show Generator as the source.
IMG_3628.JPG

GridvsGen2.JPG

When the Radian is setup for "off-grid" and both AC sources are selected as generator but the generator input is fed to "grid in" on the Radian, OpticsRE show the source as Grid. Mate3s does correctly show the source as generator.

GridvsGen3.JPG

Clearly there is a programming error in OpticsRE as the KWhr credit should go to generator, when there is no grid and the inputs are set to generator.

Mate3s appears correct - attributing the generator to generator - even when using the Grid-In connections on the Radian.

Looks like I get to re-wire my bypass switch so that I can use the generator inputs so OpticsRE correctly reflects what's happening.

Kurt - you were right, the Generator run time doesn't appear to increment - presumably since it's not using AGS and commanding the generator on.
clarkef
Forum Whiz

FM100 CC x3
Midnite Combiners, SPDs

Postby clarkef on Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:33 pm

and the final picture since the forum limits me to three attachments.

gen_feed_grid_on_radian.JPG
clarkef
Forum Whiz

FM100 CC x3
Midnite Combiners, SPDs

Return to Off Grid Applications