Charging with AGS active

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Off Grid Applications

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

JRHill
Forum Czar
My RE system: VFX 3648, FM80, 3k panels, Mate3, FNDC (retired), 8ea L16 mixed. Wonderful wife.

Charging with AGS active

Post by JRHill » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:21 am

I need some clarification, plz. During an AGS run and I check progress when getting to programmed charging voltages, when I press the Gen key it shows I am in bulk mode. When I exit and press the Charger key it shows I and in Absorb and it is counting down. I've been trying to sort this out.... I am assuming that the inverter's charging parameters are being used (I'm using the FM80's aux for autostart). I'm not wanting to screw with a bunch of different parameter changes to figure this out.

At this time of the year I have a bit of daytime sunlight so if the AGS fires in the early morning it serves to let it bulk the batteries and then shut it down manually to let the sun finish them off later thru the much reduced new bulk and as-best-as-possible absorb. This works pretty good for this time of year to minimize Gen run time.

But what I can't figure out is the absorb timer

JRHill
Forum Czar
My RE system: VFX 3648, FM80, 3k panels, Mate3, FNDC (retired), 8ea L16 mixed. Wonderful wife.

Re: Charging with AGS active

Post by JRHill » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:40 am

Nobody responds so I have to ask myself if I asked a stupid question...? Maybe, kinda'? Yes, the inverter has a charger and yes the CC has a charger. Both have separate, settable charging parameters. It would seem entirely possible that one could have a different charging state than the other. But they are interconnected via the hub and talk to each other. So which one wins the setting parameter contest? I tried to review battery voltage, the major charge source and the programming variables for FM and CC but it doesn't make any sense over multiple checks under different conditions.

Mike Curran
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Outback - Garage roof:
- 8 (2x4) Evergreen 180's into one FM80 (2007/2020 - replaced MX60)
- 6 (2×3) ALEO S79-300's into one FM80 (2017)
- 2 grid-tied GVFX3524's classic stacked for 120/240VAC (2007)
- 12 Surrette/Rolls 2V x 1766Ah (2007)
- Hub10.3, Mate3s, FNDC, RTS, OpticsRE. Tigo Energy ES maximizers on each PV module.

Westinghouse Solar - Barn roof: (2012)
- 30 (2x15) 235W panels with Enphase M215 microinverters, grid-tied

Outback Skybox - Barn roof: (2019)
- 14 (2x7) Talesun 275W (DC array input to SB charger)
- 3 SimpliPhi 3.8 batteries, 48V, 225Ah total
- AC coupled input (manual switch during grid outage only) from 14 Talesun 275W,
Enphase M215 microinverters, normally direct grid tied

All self-designed and self-installed

Post by Mike Curran » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:29 pm

Not sure this answers your question but I know that OB advises setting the CC charging voltage setpoints slightly higher than the inverter's to insure that the CC stays "engaged" in the charging process and doesn't slack off if/when the inverter attains the charging setpoints, as it would if its setpoints were set higher than the CC.

In any event, hope this makes sense..
http://www.tigoenergy.com/site.php?95b2dca2-ca6c
https://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/public/systems/Hctc107221

JRHill
Forum Czar

Post by JRHill » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:06 pm

Mike Curran wrote:Not sure this answers your question but I know that OB advises setting the CC charging voltage setpoints slightly higher than the inverter's to insure that the CC stays "engaged" in the charging process and doesn't slack off if/when the inverter attains the charging setpoints, as it would if its setpoints were set higher than the CC.
I've always followed that but thanks. The only thing I can think of is that the inverter's charger has hit the set point and started the absorb timer count down but the charge controller is still awaiting it's set point to be met. But that would be well into the generator run, hmm. I'll have to await the next occurrence of this senario.

blackswan555
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Post by blackswan555 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:47 pm

I have had some weird (never did get to bottom of it) stuff happen if I do not use master inverter in port 1 for AGS, Maybe worth a try,

Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.

JRHill
Forum Czar

Post by JRHill » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:32 am

blackswan555 wrote:I have had some weird (never did get to bottom of it) stuff happen if I do not use master inverter in port 1 for AGS,
Thx Tim. I had to verify... its been a long time since I looked at the hub. But that's not it as the FX is on 1, FNDC on two and for some reason I can't explain I put the FM on 4. BTW, I'm using the FM aux as it already had the relay rigged up from a previous experiment.

blackswan555
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Post by blackswan555 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:29 pm

You may want to try changing aux to FX1, eg, using FX aux, not FM,

Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.

JRHill
Forum Czar

Post by JRHill » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:22 am

OK,here it is: the VFX charging at this time of year is set to 58.8 @ 2 hrs for Absorb. Well into a autostart run I press the Gen key and it displays Bulk, running for 2:48, SOC (for whatever that is worth this time of year @ 94%). Exiting I then hit the Charger key and see Inverter Charger Status, Control ON with 0:30 of Absorb remaining. The AGS parameters for voltage start/charge stop are seemingly the command parameters. In 0:30 minutes I know the genset will shut off.

So why does the Gen key which is the feedback from AGS show bulk?