Generator battery questions.

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Off Grid Applications

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

Generator battery questions.

Postby TRooney on Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:53 am

Hi friends, I am wondering about the multiple ways to keep the battery for the generator itself charged,especially when it is not used very much. Can you pull a trickle off you’re main battery bank, or does that cause all you’re charging parameters to be off. Or do you use a small solar panel attached only to the generator battery, or can that cause an overcharging issue?Can I run an ac line from the breaker to an outside location next to the generator and plug in a maintainer type charger to the generator battery. What are the other options, if any? Thanks for the input.

Off grid completely, small cabin, 4 full river 6 volt, 24 volt setup. General 17kw propane, 4 solar panels.
TRooney
Forum Member

My RE system: 48 Trojan Battery Bank
4 VFX Inverter Chargers
4 Charge Controllers
Diesel AC Generator
3 PV panels

Re: Generator battery questions.

Postby JRHill on Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:16 am

Depends on the situation and location. At this time I am setting up for AGS with a Honda 7k. It will run often enough that I don't have to worry about the starting battery (came with an AGM a bit smaller than an ATV/MC battery). But you have a diesel gen I see. A healthy, topped off battery is essential for the diesel - you probably know that already. Whether or not glow plugs are involved the faster the crank the better it'll start esp. in cold weather. I'm sure you shut the inverter down when gone so if you have the exposure, a solar trickle charger is the best, in my opinion.

Don't use the battery bank. You can't tap into 12v of a 24v system without consequences. You know why. Its a pain but the worse case scenario would be to pull the battery when you leave and bring it back with a full charge. There was a time when we lived in the lodge tent and I kept a bank of RV/deep cycle batteries in the pickup. When heading out I plugged the RV connector into the receptacle and the batteries were full for the weekend by the time I got here. Worked great.
JRHill
Forum Guru

My RE system: -House: FM 80, VFX 3648, FlexnetDC, FlexWare xformer, Mate 3 / Hub, WattPlot/, 2925w SunTech 195, Trojan L16RE-B Batteries. Backup 1: Champion 75531i 3100, backup 2: 11kw Miller Bobcat;
-Well: Grundfos 11-SQF-2 pump, controller & AC switch (CU200, IO101), Morningstar 15a/48vdc Controller, 780w SunTech 195, Trojan golf cart batteries.
-All running since July '11 with no critical problems.

Re: Generator battery questions.

Postby blackswan555 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:54 pm

Depends on what you want to spend, A maintainer type battery charger is good but expensive (Well not quite as good as they say on the box) otherwise an "el cheepo" battery charger and a timeswitch giving the gen "a couple of hours a week" is my prefered option,

Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
Forum Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Return to Off Grid Applications