How to integrate Hygen T6 generator with Outback system?

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Off Grid Applications

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

How to integrate Hygen T6 generator with Outback system?

Postby Andy Bourne on Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:18 pm

Hello,

I have a client who purchased a Hygen T6 generator from Planetary Power, Inc. (recently went out of business). He would like to use this generator to power an off-grid cabin using an Outback system.

The generator was designed for powering remote telecom towers, and it has a 48VDC nominal output (operates at 53-54VDC) with 6kW continuous output power.

This generator has an integrated lithium ion MnO2 battery bank with 12kWh of total capacity, which is set to a 50% Depth of discharge. Essentially, it is a generator that charges a 300VDC battery bank that goes through a DC to DC converter which outputs 48VDC. It also has two solar MPPT charge controllers which can handle 1.8kW of solar each, or 3.6kW total. The charge controllers have max Voc of 160VDC and Max input current of 18A. He currently has a solar array that is wired into these charge controllers.

He would like his cabin to have some AC loads, which is why he'd like to have an Outback system. Also the AC loads he wants to add will likely require a bigger battery bank than the 12kWh @50%DOD.

The question is: How to incorporate this generator into an Outback system when it outputs 48VDC?

He originally hooked the 48VDC output directly into an Outback 3648 inverter via the battery inputs. He claims that when he tried to put the inverter under load, it would trip (although I didn't get from him which breaker actually tripped, I assume the DC breaker). I'm wondering if there are setpoints that can be adjusted to make this type of setup work (?).

It seems to me that there are two options:

1. Add a typical Lead acid battery bank sized to his load and use the generator as a separate charging source for the Lead acid battery bank. The question there becomes: What type of charge controller would make sense to use with a 48VDC output?

2. Add a typical lead acid battery bank sized to his load and use the Outback system to start and stop the generator based on the Lead Acid battery bank SOC. The question here becomes: How to use the 48VDC output from a generator?

In any situation I'm running into problems with this 48VDC output and how to incorporate it into an off grid application with AC Loads.

Any and all thoughts are welcome!

Thanks,
Andy
Andy Bourne

Re: How to integrate Hygen T6 generator with Outback system?

Postby Mike Curran on Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:06 pm

He might connect the 48V generator output to another charge controller, whose output is in turn connected to a separate (new) 24V battery bank. Then he would need a 24VDC input inverter (e.g. VFX3624) instead of the 3648 he has now. Don't know how an OB charge controller would respond to a 48V generator input, but seems like it should work. Probably don't need an OB's MPPT capabilities in this application since the generator output voltage is constant.

If he wants to charge the 300V bank with solar, you might have to look into some other manufacturer's string inverter with that capability...if such a thing exists.

If he has 48VDC loads, keep them connected to the DC-DC converter. Put the AC loads on the new 24V inverter's output.

You don't say if the solar panels and MPPT CC's are connected to the 300VDC battery bank... if not, and/or they can adapt to a 24V battery, use them with the new (proposed) battery.

Maybe...no, probably too complex but my thoughts, FWIW. :smile:
Mike Curran
OutBack Guru

My RE system: Outback:
- 8 (2x4) Evergreen 180's into one MX60
- 6 (2×3) ALEO S79-300's into one FM80
- 2 grid-tied GVFX3524's classic stacked for 120/240VAC
- 12 Surrette/Rolls 2V x 1766Ah
- Hub10.3, Mate3, FNDC, RTS, OpticsRE. Tigo Energy ES maximizers on each PV module.

Westinghouse Solar:
- 30 (2x15) 235W panels with Enphase M215 microinverters, grid-tied.

Re: How to integrate Hygen T6 generator with Outback system?

Postby sparksalot on Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:41 am

Andy Bourne wrote:Hello,

I have a client who purchased a Hygen T6 generator from Planetary Power, Inc. (recently went out of business). He would like to use this generator to power an off-grid cabin using an Outback system.

The generator was designed for powering remote telecom towers, and it has a 48VDC nominal output (operates at 53-54VDC) with 6kW continuous output power.

This generator has an integrated lithium ion MnO2 battery bank with 12kWh of total capacity, which is set to a 50% Depth of discharge. Essentially, it is a generator that charges a 300VDC battery bank that goes through a DC to DC converter which outputs 48VDC. It also has two solar MPPT charge controllers which can handle 1.8kW of solar each, or 3.6kW total. The charge controllers have max Voc of 160VDC and Max input current of 18A. He currently has a solar array that is wired into these charge controllers.

He would like his cabin to have some AC loads, which is why he'd like to have an Outback system. Also the AC loads he wants to add will likely require a bigger battery bank than the 12kWh @50%DOD.

The question is: How to incorporate this generator into an Outback system when it outputs 48VDC?

He originally hooked the 48VDC output directly into an Outback 3648 inverter via the battery inputs. He claims that when he tried to put the inverter under load, it would trip (although I didn't get from him which breaker actually tripped, I assume the DC breaker). I'm wondering if there are setpoints that can be adjusted to make this type of setup work (?).

What model OB 3648? VFX or VFXR?
Aside from knowing battery's ability of performance, this should of worked, I'd say.
Really would need to know what tripped and figure out why it trips.
There are some OB Inverter settings that could be "tweaked"...Does he have a Mate3?

It seems to me that there are two options:
1. Add a typical Lead acid battery bank sized to his load and use the generator as a separate charging source for the Lead acid battery bank. The question there becomes: What type of charge controller would make sense to use with a 48VDC output?

As you know, 48VDC will not charge 48 volt batteries...so, as Mike says,You would have to go into 24 volt MPPT charge controller for 24VDC Lead Acid Battery Bank or to feed the 300VDC into a rated MPPT charge controller for a 48VDC Lead Acid Battery Bank. There are 600VDC MPPT CC's on the market now to do this.
2. Add a typical lead acid battery bank sized to his load and use the Outback system to start and stop the generator based on the Lead Acid battery bank SOC. The question here becomes: How to use the 48VDC output from a generator?

Generator should be able to "Float" charge a 48VDC battery bank with ~54VDC.

In any situation I'm running into problems with this 48VDC output and how to incorporate it into an off grid application with AC Loads.

Any and all thoughts are welcome!

Thanks,
Andy
sparksalot
OutBack Guru

My RE system: FLEXpower TWO VFXR3648A Grid-Tied and Battery Backup Hybrid

Traction battery FLA 48 volt 805Ahr.

30 SolarWorld 245w mono

Return to Off Grid Applications