Generator Charging Current Oscillates

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Off Grid Applications

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

PointyHairedBoss
Forum Whiz
My RE system: House System 12V (installed 2012):
8 Sharp 235W solar panels, 2 Midnite Solar MNE250ST-R charge controllers, 3 Surrette 4KS25P batteries, Outback VFX2812 inverter, Outback Mate control, 3 - Morningstar Suresine 300 inverters
Shop System 12V (originally installed in house 2006, moved to shop 2012):
4 Shell 165W solar panels, 1 Outback MX-60 charge controller, 2 Surrette 6CS-25PS batteries, Outback VFX2812 inverter, Outback Mate control
Backup for House & Shop:
Honda EU3000is 3000W generator

Generator Charging Current Oscillates

Post by PointyHairedBoss » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:00 am

I am having a problem charging the house batteries with my generator.
The charging current is set to 13 amps. In the past the charger would accept the full 13 amps (about 1500 watts displayed on the Mate) until reaching the absorb voltage of 14.6 then gradually decrease the charge current to maintain 14.6VDC. Now, the charging amps continuously oscillates when the generator runs, even when the batteries are well below absorb voltage - see video here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ttrQ0 ... 9ObLBDklEM

The settings have been unchanged since the system was installed about 7 years ago & this behaviore is new. I recently had another battery charging issue, see here:
http://www.outbackpower.com/forum/viewt ... 466#p66466

Maybe they are related.

PointyHairedBoss
Forum Whiz
8 Sharp 235W solar panels, 2 Midnite Solar MNE250ST-R charge controllers, 3 Surrette 4KS25P batteries, Outback VFX2812 inverter, Outback Mate control, 3 - Morningstar Suresine 300 inverters
4 Shell 165W solar panels, 1 Outback MX-60 charge controller, 2 Surrette 6CS-25PS batteries, Outback VFX2812 inverter, Outback Mate control
Backup for House & Shop:

Re: Generator Charging Current Oscillates

Post by PointyHairedBoss » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:09 am

BTW, what's the maximum size file I can attach to a post? I tried attaching a 1.1 MB Gif to my original post & it was refused - too big.
I thought it may be better than a google drive link.

raysun
Forum Czar
My RE system: Flexpower One: FX3048T, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
Outback 200NC batteries (8 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
Suniva 330 watt panels (12 - 6 Strings @ 2 Series)
Hyundai 355 watt panels (6 - 3 strings @ 2 series)

Post by raysun » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:43 am

Check that the Generator AC Input Limit is set equal to the AC output of the generator socket being used. (30A if using the highest output socket.)

Check that the cable between the generator and the inverter is undamaged. I have seen several of the L14-30P plugs burned at the wire connectors. Also make sure the plug is L14-30P, as the L14-20P plug will fit the socket, but will damage the wiring and socket.

Check the generator outlet socket for signs of scorching or discoloration.

Try backing off the Charger AC Input Limit to less than maximum. Try 8A, then increase in steps.

PointyHairedBoss
Forum Whiz
Backup for House & Shop:

Post by PointyHairedBoss » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:54 pm

raysun wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:43 am
Check that the Generator AC Input Limit is set equal to the AC output of the generator socket being used. (30A if using the highest output socket.)

Check that the cable between the generator and the inverter is undamaged. I have seen several of the L14-30P plugs burned at the wire connectors. Also make sure the plug is L14-30P, as the L14-20P plug will fit the socket, but will damage the wiring and socket.

Check the generator outlet socket for signs of scorching or discoloration.
My generator is a Honda EU3000is & I'm plugged into the 23.3 amp receptacle. I checked the plug & receptacle & no sign of a bad connection. The plug contacts looked good but I cleaned them anyway & plugged back in. The wiring between the generator & house runs through about 60 ft of underground conduit so it's not practical to inspect. It terminates at a breaker in the house. Max charging current is set to 14 amps (I believe this was recommended based on my battery size).

I charged with the generator again this morning & had the same issue (before reading your reponse) - next time I'll try reducing charge current as you suggest to see what happens.

This time I observed the behavior for a longer period of time & the charging current oscillations seem to have a fairly regular period. Next time I'll try to get more precise information.

raysun
Forum Czar

Post by raysun » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:10 pm

I have an EU3000is as well. Nice little generator, but for me, emphasis was on "little".

When running the generator, the combination of house loads, though modest, and charger load (14A), would frequently overtax the generator's 23A outlet. The inverter would respond by reducing charging current - all the way to 0 if needed to satisfy house loads. If house loads were large enough, the inverter would drop the generator altogether.

I usually ran the generator in Eco mode, so it was slow to respond to sudden power demands, frequently being dropped well below maximum generator output.

I retired the EU3000 in favor of an EU7000is, and all loads are handled with ease.

PointyHairedBoss
Forum Whiz
Backup for House & Shop:

Post by PointyHairedBoss » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:56 am

raysun wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:10 pm
... the combination of house loads, though modest, and charger load (14A), would frequently overtax the generator's 23A outlet...
I understand what you're saying but that's not the case with my system. In the short video clip linked in my original post you can see that the house loads are negligible. Our major loads (fridge, stove, hot water, heat) are propane & there were no major appliances running at the time. Total generator input never goes above 1.7 kW yet the charging current oscillates. This is new behavior for our 7 year old system.
I'll send an update next time I run the generator.

sparksalot
Forum Guru
My RE system: FLEXpower TWO VFXR3648A Grid-Tied and Battery Backup Hybrid, Mate3s
Using Two Midnite 200 Classic Charge Controllers

Traction battery FLA 48 volt 805Ahr.

32 SolarWorld 245w mono, 2x-4S-4P
6 REC 320w on micro-inverters

Post by sparksalot » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:49 am

In the mean time inspect your one load...your batteries, to see if abnommally might be discoveed within the bank...
Seven years means something changed...

PointyHairedBoss
Forum Whiz
Backup for House & Shop:

Post by PointyHairedBoss » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:28 am

sparksalot wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:49 am
Seven years means something changed...
I have done more testing on the system. One thing has changed recently, I replaced a bad cell in one of the batteries about 8 months ago so before these tests I checked voltages across my 4 Surette 4KS25P batteries (using Fluke 289 meter):
#A - 4.18 V (negative cell replaced)
#B - 4.14V
#C - 4.12V
Looks OK.

The first test I did was to charge the batteries using the generator with all 120V load circuits disabled at the distribution panel. Video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B903YgK0DU
This is normal charging behaviour. The batteries accept the maximum specified input of 13 amps (one of my posts above I said 14, that’s wrong it was 13)

The following day I ran the same test but with a 120V load at the same time. Video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9vggEQk5VM
Prior to adding an AC load, charging behaviour was normal.
Washing machine breaker set to on, washing machine started, charging amps started fluctuating.
Washing machine cycle ended, breaker disabled, fluctuations continue.
DROP power for 30 seconds, BUY again, fluctuations continue.
DROP power & disable generator power for 2 minutes, BUY again, fluctuations continue.
DROP power & disable generator power for 5 minutes, BUY again, fluctuations stop, normal charging resumes.

My summary:
1. This video shows charging behaviour when the washing machine operates which peaks out at about 500w. I tested the charger similarly with 2 other circuits. One drawing less than 100 watts, the other 900 watts. Charging behaviour was the same however with the 900 watts load (lake pump) the charging current fluctuations were more extreme to the point where it dropped to zero at times.
2. If I use AC power when charging I can stop the charge current fluctuations by disconnecting the load, DROPping power, disabling the generator power for 5 minutes then BUY. This behaviour has been repeatable so far as if something needs to be reset.
3. Again, this is new behaviour in this 7 year old system.

Other questions:
1. The attached photo shows a small LED on the inverter control board between AUX+ & AUX-. Sometimes this glows faintly. Does anyone know what it is for? I couldn't find anything in the manual.
2. Where is the "intelligence" for the charging algorithm stored - the Mate, the VFX2812 or both?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
LED.jpg

sparksalot
Forum Guru
My RE system: FLEXpower TWO VFXR3648A Grid-Tied and Battery Backup Hybrid, Mate3s
Using Two Midnite 200 Classic Charge Controllers

Traction battery FLA 48 volt 805Ahr.

32 SolarWorld 245w mono, 2x-4S-4P
6 REC 320w on micro-inverters

Post by sparksalot » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:44 pm

Resting battery volts readings might be deceiving.

I think what you are seeing is all caused by a bad cell. Since once loaded the oscillations remain until a 5 minute rest and then all the cells rebalance on their own while at rest.
Could you maybe arrange three or six independent and yet equal 2vdc or 4vdc cell "load tests" and monitor readings to prove or disprove this theory?
Suppose a known good 12v car battery connected in place of the subject 3x4v could work for another test as well.

PointyHairedBoss wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:28 am
I have done more testing on the system. One thing has changed recently, I replaced a bad cell in one of the batteries about 8 months ago so before these tests I checked voltages across my 4 Surette 4KS25P batteries (using Fluke 289 meter):
#A - 4.18 V (negative cell replaced)
#B - 4.14V
#C - 4.12V
Looks OK.

PointyHairedBoss
Forum Whiz
Backup for House & Shop:

Post by PointyHairedBoss » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:32 pm

sparksalot wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:44 pm
I think what you are seeing is all caused by a bad cell. Since once loaded the oscillations remain until a 5 minute rest and then all the cells rebalance on their own while at rest.
Could you maybe arrange three or six independent and yet equal 2vdc or 4vdc cell "load tests" and monitor readings to prove or disprove this theory?
Suppose a known good 12v car battery connected in place of the subject 3x4v could work for another test as well.
I don't have any spare batteries of any kind. I would have to pull the battery out of my truck or move the batteries from my shop solar system to the house (big job).
The previous cell I replaced had low SG even after repeated equalize cycles. I could not get it above 1.195 while the other cells were between 1.265-1.275 . Today we had good sun (although low November hours) & I was able to charge with the solar panels.
Cell SG's at end of day:
new cell: 1.280
other 5 cells 1.250 - 1.270
I believe these look OK, certainly nothing remotely close to my previous bad cell. Can bad cell have an SG in this range?
Is it possible that a component failure within the FX2812 or Mate is causing my problem?
During charging with the solar panels today I watched the charging current & I did not see any abnormal behaviour. The batteries accepted the full panel output until absorb voltage was reached & then continued to charge at that voltage. The inverter was on & we were using a varying amount of 120V power throughout the day. My charging problem only happens with generator power.

raysun
Forum Czar

Post by raysun » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:14 pm

It would be unusual for the SG to be proper and the cell bad. Not impossible, but unusual.

Has the generator itself been checked and cleared of any issues? Perhaps a faulting circuit board or something.

PointyHairedBoss
Forum Whiz
Backup for House & Shop:

Post by PointyHairedBoss » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:56 pm

raysun wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:14 pm
Has the generator itself been checked and cleared of any issues? Perhaps a faulting circuit board or something.
I'm not sure what to check at the generator. It provides power to both the house & shop & appears to be operating properly. The solar system at the shop is independent of the house with the exception of sharing the generator which provides power to either the house or shop, never both at the same time. The shop's solar system has smaller solar panels & batteries than the house & is used primarily for lighting & small power tools. When I run something bigger like my table saw, planer or air compressor I use generator power & those large loads operate normally which makes me think the generator is OK.
I just ran the generator to charge the house batteries. At no load the generator maintains a solid 126V. Once the BUY starts voltage oscillates between 109-115 as the charging current fluctuates as described in previous posts.
The next thing I'll check is to run one of my large power tools at the shop to see if the generator can maintain a steady voltage under load.

Previously I asked: Where is the "intelligence" for the charging algorithm stored - the Mate, the VFX2812 or both? More specifically how is the charging current regulated - anyone know?
The reason I ask is that I have the same inverter & Mate in the shop & could swap some components. The Mate would be easy enough but I would like to avoid swapping the whole inverter, maybe there's a control board or other component I could swap. I hate being a "parts changer" & much prefer to try to determine what's wrong but I'm running out of ideas.

JRHill
Forum Czar
My RE system: -House: FM 80, VFX 3648, FlexnetDC, FlexWare xformer, Mate 3 / Hub, WattPlot/, 2925w SunTech 195, Trojan L16RE-B Batteries. Backup 1: Honda EU7000is w/2 wire auto start via FM80 aux, backup 2: 11kw Miller Bobcat;
-Well: Grundfos 11-SQF-2 pump, controller & AC switch (CU200, IO101), Tristar 45 Controller, 780w SunTech 195, Trojan golf cart batteries.
-All running since July '11 with various upgrades and workarounds.

Post by JRHill » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:36 pm

I've had years and years of experience with using small generators. My reasoning was I wanted to find the smallest possible unit for purposes of fuel efficiency as its a 3 hour round trip to fill jugs. I originally thought that I could rely on the inverter's charging circuit to scale back when a load, even one as small is a energy star fridge or freezer came on line, to keep things operating as expected. I learned a lot. To date my most expensive (negative returns) have been in 1) generator selection, 2) improper battery charging and 3) fuel (gasoline) storage.

As for #1) my first oops was the 8kw B&S as it blew voltage regulators like popcorn at movie time. I never did resolve the issue with no small amount of research and experimentation. All in all it was good to get rid of it as it was an absolute noisy gas hog. My fall back was the Miller Bobcat welder/12kw genset which I had already and gave beautiful power but made the B&S look economical for fuel consumption. Then I had the idea to use the Miller to get through the heavier part of bulk and absorb and then switch over to the smaller genset, a 900 watt Harbor Freight unit that I had for shop lighting. And then I learned about the inverter's scaling. Nope. That wasn't the ticket as I was either going to eat the inverter's relay on kicking in and out or kill the genset or both. The inverter's health and longevity won the consideration. Then I bought my first inverter generator, a Champion 3100. I kind of immediately fell in love with the unit. Good clean power, relatively responsive and fairly efficient. I could "tune" things so to minimize the FX kicking out but the one glaring problem was I wasn't "hitting" the batteries with enough charge current for health, with little solar at that time of year. I ran this set up for a few winter seasons. Then the wife retired and was here full time and it wouldn't work for her to run around plugging, unplugging and changing charging currents if I was gone. So for her retirement gift (heh-heh) I bought her the EU7000is and the auto start add-on. Best damn generator investment I/we've made. I in no way need approx 7000 surge or even normal range capabilities but the fuel injection (efficiency & no choke to start) and quietness were eye openers.

#2) I won't open that issue here.

#3) I spoiled a lot of fuel due to settling of the ethanol/water over the winter seasons. Premium without ethanol was available but not an option. Propane was an idea but 'cause we are up 2 miles of steep and very rough logging roads, NO one will come up here in the winter season. They growl at me even in nice weather and one supplier flatly refuses. We use propane for cooking, hot water and the ventless heater so we can say we aren't fully on the wood burner for insurance purposes. Diesel was interesting but I should've made that decision when I bought the Miller. Plus it would've been an expensive option and only a moderate efficiency improvement, esp on the back side of the absorb.

So there you have it. Every one's set up and needs are different but after spending $15k on solar (not including batteries) and a more than a third of that in wasted generator experiments, if I had originally known what I know now I could've put the resources to much better use. Not to mention the wife's critiques because I should've intuitively figured this all out beforehand.

My gosh I see posts where people are going through the same learning curve and I cringe. It doesn't have to be that way. Some people have solar to use like a Russian with a case of vodka. Some of us don't.

Best, Jim

Bcc: Plz no offense on the Russian comment. I'm mostly of that descent so it was the first to mind.

PointyHairedBoss
Forum Whiz
Backup for House & Shop:

Post by PointyHairedBoss » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:09 pm

JRHill wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:36 pm
... Not to mention the wife's critiques because I should've intuitively figured this all out beforehand ...
Ha, good one. And good story. I don't get comments like that from my wife. She usually gives me advice by looking over my shoulder & saying very helpful things like "dear, maybe it's the yellow wire" after 2 hours of frustration trying to track down an intermittent problem.

PointyHairedBoss
Forum Whiz
Backup for House & Shop:

Post by PointyHairedBoss » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:11 pm

PointyHairedBoss wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:56 pm
raysun wrote:
... The next thing I'll check is to run one of my large power tools at the shop to see if the generator can maintain a steady voltage under load...
In a previous post I said I would check the generator output during a big shop load. Since then I had a better idea: I forgot that I had an old generator packed away in storage - a 20 year old constant speed Honda EZ2500, last used about 4 years ago. I topped up the gas & oil & it started 1st pull - amazing.

I ran a charging test for about a half hour using each generator. The only thing I had to adjust was the charging limit which was reduced from the normal 13 amps to 10 because the EZ2500 has only 15 amp circuits. I used this setting for both generators. The charging current stayed quite steady using the old generator while it bounced around using the newer EU3000is so it looks like I have a generator issue. I have no experience in troubleshooting inverter generators but I'll poke around on line a bit before I take it to the dealer.

PointyHairedBoss
Forum Whiz
Backup for House & Shop:

Post by PointyHairedBoss » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:15 pm

I just noticed something when I was going through all the settings for the MATE. The manual says that <ADV/FX/GEN ac2/gen support> is not used & should be set to OFF. When I set to OFF it resets itself to ON. Anyone know why? Does it matter?
Video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS4ZbzQIlnY

raysun
Forum Czar

Post by raysun » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:44 pm

PointyHairedBoss wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:11 pm
PointyHairedBoss wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:56 pm
raysun wrote:
... The next thing I'll check is to run one of my large power tools at the shop to see if the generator can maintain a steady voltage under load...
In a previous post I said I would check the generator output during a big shop load. Since then I had a better idea: I forgot that I had an old generator packed away in storage - a 20 year old constant speed Honda EZ2500, last used about 4 years ago. I topped up the gas & oil & it started 1st pull - amazing.

I ran a charging test for about a half hour using each generator. The only thing I had to adjust was the charging limit which was reduced from the normal 13 amps to 10 because the EZ2500 has only 15 amp circuits. I used this setting for both generators. The charging current stayed quite steady using the old generator while it bounced around using the newer EU3000is so it looks like I have a generator issue. I have no experience in troubleshooting inverter generators but I'll poke around on line a bit before I take it to the dealer.
Using the EU3000is, do you notice a difference using ECO throttle, v.s. not using ECO throttle?

When I use ECO mode with our house loads a toaster oven we have alternately cycles two ceramic heating elements on/off. The generator follows the cycling with a maddening throttle up/down on 30 second intervals. It's quite annoying. Not as much of an issue when ECO throttle is off.

PointyHairedBoss
Forum Whiz
Backup for House & Shop:

Post by PointyHairedBoss » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:10 pm

raysun wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:44 pm
Using the EU3000is, do you notice a difference using ECO throttle, v.s. not using ECO throttle?
ECO is default mode for us. We usually have quite stable loads in the house. When I run large tools in the shop, table saw for example, I'll disable ECO.
Regarding my problem, I tried both settings & behavior was the same