VFX3648 Inverter no LEDs

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Backup Applications

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

VFX3648 Inverter no LEDs

Postby Hillguy on Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:45 am

I have a VFX 3648 Inverter that is part of a master slave setup. the other inverter is working fine. the one in question went dark. no LEDs on the inverter are lit up. the mate 3 is not reporting anything. the breakers have been cycled, there is 54 Volts on the terminals.
This set up is very remote, so i am troubleshooting it thru another non technical person.
Hillguy

My RE system: FM 80, VFX3648x2,15-235p Eclipsal panels. 16 S6-460 AGM in a 48Volt Bank

Re: VFX3648 Inverter no LEDs

Postby klundquist on Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:41 am

It sounds like something is wrong inside the inverter. You can repair the inverter in the field or you can have OutBack repair it for you. If the inverter is less than 5 years old the parts could qualify for warranty coverage.

Here is a video that shows how to swap out the boards https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtEw8ijqHpU

I suggest you shut off the DC breaker and remove all AC wires. Check Ohm's between DC negative and positive. If it indicates a short then the FET board is bad. If it isn't shorted then make sure the battery cables are properly torqued to the inverter then turn on the batter breaker. If you don't hear anything (fan should cycle for about 10 seconds) or see any LED's shut everything down and take the inverter off the wall. You can reach outback support at 360.618.4363.

Depending on your budget you may want to get a spare VFX3648 to swap out so you don't have to go to the site twice. That will give you the time to fix the other inverter at your shop, or send it in to OutBack to be refurbished.

-K
Kurt Lundquist
Alpha Energy Systems Engineer
http://www.alpha.com/solar
klundquist
Alpha Energy Engineering

My RE system: VFX3524, Mate, 200Ah 24V AGM Battery Bank

Re: VFX3648 Inverter no LEDs

Postby gww on Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:44 am

Have you scrolled through the mate and looked to see if any wornings or errors were recorded. It may not work now that you have cycled the breakers. You could always call outback. When lightning hit mine the mate said communication error. I had to replace the three board in the inverter. It was not terribly hard but did cost $500 bucks. It is nice to be able to do it though rather then having to buy new.
Good luck
gww

Ps k.... posted while I was typing but I posted anyway.
gww
OutBack Guru

My RE system: 1. installed
2. 5640 watts mx panels
3. 2 axial flux Hugh Piggot 500 watt turbines
5. 2 gvfx 3648 inverters
6. 1 mx 60 charge controller, 1 fm 80 and 1 morningstar ts60 pmw
7. outback mount, panel and sub panel
8. mate
9. 4 place hub
10. couple more cc, doc wattson
11. 800 ah, 48 volt fork truck battery