Mini-grid

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Backup Applications

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

Mini-grid

Postby rjohnson54 on Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:47 am

I have a Radian 8kw inverter and a mate3 controller system. I have had the system since last spring. I have been trying to set it up to work as a mini-grid. But when the
batteries get too low it just switches off and doesn't transfer the loads to the grid. I have to manually switch using the bypass switches of my power center. What may I being doing wrong that is keeping it from smoothly switching automatically as it should?
rjohnson54

My RE system: Radian GS8048
2- Flexmax 80
Mate 3
24 280 watt PV panels
2 strings of 8 420 ah flooded batteries

Re: Mini-grid

Postby Kwood on Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:31 pm

Can the Radian inverter do a manual transfer? What I mean by that is to just switch the AC input breaker OFF, and make sure the inverter inverts a proper 120/240Vac. Then, turn the AC input breaker back on, does the unit pass through to the loads properly, and does the unit begin charging?

Feel free to call into Technical Support directly while you are in front of the system and we can get this worked out with you. (360) 618-4363

Also make sure you have current firmware revisions on the Mate3 and GS8048.
Kwood

Re: Mini-grid

Postby tallgirl on Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:16 pm

It also sounds like he's hitting LBCO (the hard one, not an HBX setting) and the Radian is completely shutting down and won't close the transfer relay and run from the grid.
Julie in Texas

greenMonitor(tm) for OutBack Power Technologies systems from greenHouse Gas and Electric. Learn more now!
tallgirl
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: 16 Kyocera KC175GT (2,800 watts DC), MX-60, 2 OutBack GVFX3648, 24 GC2 batteries (6v @ 215AH), 14 Pantheon-based ACPV modules (3,200 watts DC), La Crosse Technologies WS2310 Weather Station, greenLogger Sensors environmental monitor, WattNode watt-hour meter, greenLogger Lite data logger.

Return to Backup Applications