Battery Cable Routing

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Backup Applications

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

Battery Cable Routing

Postby shortcircuit on Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:12 am

Do the battery cables from the battery box to the controller have to be in the same raceway? The run is say about 15' of 4/0 battery cable. Also...if there is nothing to ground/bond at the battery box...does a equipment ground need to be installed with the battery cables?

Thanks, shortcircuit
shortcircuit

Re: Battery Cable Routing

Postby Kent Osterberg on Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:47 am

While the battery cables primarily are carrying dc current, there is a sizable amount of high frequency ac current flowing as well. So, the battery cables should be in the same raceway. When the cables are separated, the circuit inductance goes up and the inverter won't work as well. Some manufacturers used to recommend taping the battery conductors together to help keep the circuit inductance down.

If the batteries are in a plastic or wood enclosure, there is no need to run an equipment grounding conductor with the battery cables.
Kent Osterberg
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: SMA Sunny Boy 2500 with eight Mobil Solar Ra 180 modules

Postby gww on Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:32 pm

Kent
I am glad you answered this question. I have just learned something more if I can remember it when I put my system together.

Shortcircuit,
Thanks for asking this question.
gww
gww
OutBack Guru

My RE system: 1. installed
2. 5640 watts mx panels
3. 2 axial flux Hugh Piggot 500 watt turbines
5. 2 gvfx 3648 inverters
6. 1 mx 60 charge controller, 1 fm 80 and 1 morningstar ts60 pmw
7. outback mount, panel and sub panel
8. mate
9. 4 place hub
10. couple more cc, doc wattson
11. 800 ah, 48 volt fork truck battery

Postby shortcircuit on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:17 am

Thank you for the feedback Kent...although it is hard for me to fathom how AC current can pass on a DC circuit.

Your welcome gww...
shortcircuit

Postby blackswan555 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:26 am

I tend to cable tie them side by side, Don`t like taping them, Keeps the heat in more,

Thank you for the feedback Kent...although it is hard for me to fathom how AC current can pass on a DC circuit.

It because the DC circuit is being tuned on and off @ (IIRC) 20kHz to give you your AC out, It sends a little back EMF down the DC line creating a slight AC "ripple" in it, In the perfect situation with proper spacing & Length, Would act like an antenna, I have read of problems with Ham radio and things like cell repeater stations,But not in the "normal" off grid situation,

Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Postby Ampster on Sat May 16, 2015 9:09 pm

I know this is an old thread but the AC ripple is causing the Current Sensor on my Battery Management System to fluctuate. As a result it is always throwing error codes. I have Lithium Ion cells and am using an Orion Battery Management System. I tried some ferrite inductor things that go around the cables and I twisted the microvolt leads from the current shunt for the BMS. Anybody had any experience with how to solve this issue? The run from my batteries to the inverter is about 15 feet and temporarily is strung along the wall until I can get it in some metal conduit.
Converted 1974 VW Convertible to electric and regularly drive a Fiat 500e and Tesla Model X which are charged at Super Off Peak rates.
Ampster
OutBack Whiz

My RE system: 4K solar system with Enphase inverters. Radian GS4048 with Mate 3
24kWh LiFEPO batteries (48v 480Ahr) primarily used to shift loads off peak. All elecrtric home with heat pump water heater. HA Omni home automation and Lutron RadioRa control charging, water heater and LED lighting.

Postby Ampster on Tue May 19, 2015 3:24 pm

I called Outback Support and they told me to talk to my Battery Management System vendor. I have a call into them. This should be a familiar problem since any vehicle conversion running an AC motor is going to have some EMI from the variable frequency inverters that drive those motors.
Converted 1974 VW Convertible to electric and regularly drive a Fiat 500e and Tesla Model X which are charged at Super Off Peak rates.
Ampster
OutBack Whiz

24kWh LiFEPO batteries (48v 480Ahr) primarily used to shift loads off peak. All elecrtric home with heat pump water heater. HA Omni home automation and Lutron RadioRa control charging, water heater and LED lighting.

Postby Ampster on Wed May 20, 2015 11:10 pm

I also posted on diyelectriccar.com forum and got a suggestion to run shielded wire to the shunt and I will try that and report back. The question was also asked what the frequency of the EMI and I responded that I thought it was 20kHz based on an earlier post in this thread. Any body know for sure?
Ampster
OutBack Whiz

Return to Backup Applications