How to repair stripped AC IN screw???

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Backup Applications

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

How to repair stripped AC IN screw???

Postby wirenut on Sat May 05, 2012 5:28 am

I was installing a used, 5 year old VFX3648. The screw that tightens the AC HOT IN is stripped. I can't fully tighten the terminal on the #6 wire. If I'm careful I can get it semi-tight but I can still pretty easily pull the wire back out. Are these terminals easily replaceable? I don't want to have to send the whole inverter to Outback just for this. I was thinking of trying to swap the upper terminal block with the lower one. That would put the terminal in a redundant "ground" position so I could just use the other ground connection.
Does anybody have any advice on getting the screw out or getting a new one in there? Any other good ideas?

Thanks,
wirenut
Forum Member

My RE system: 36 Solar World 235 modules. 6 are connected to an FM60 and 2 VFX3648 inverters for back-up. The other 30 mods are connected to an SMA SB 6.0 for gird tie operation.

Re: How to repair stripped AC IN screw???

Postby american-cherokee on Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:41 pm

Howdy: Did you ever get any kind of response on this question? Or did you come up with a solution? Have the identical problem (same location) and I need to get it fixed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
american-cherokee
Forum Junior Member

My RE system: FlexMax 60
VFX 35-24

Postby JRHill on Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:47 am

Do you know some one who is a machinist or tool maker? This is easy to fix with the correct tools and skill set.

It would follow that EVERY precaution should be used to vacuum all metal shavings or chips during the process.
JRHill
Forum Guru

My RE system: -House: FM 80, VFX 3648, FlexnetDC, FlexWare xformer, Mate 3 / Hub, WattPlot/, 2925w SunTech 195, Trojan L16RE-B Batteries. Backup 1: Honda EU7000is w/2 wire auto start via FM80 aux, backup 2: 11kw Miller Bobcat;
-Well: Grundfos 11-SQF-2 pump, controller & AC switch (CU200, IO101), Tristar 45 Controller, 780w SunTech 195, Trojan golf cart batteries.
-All running since July '11 with various upgrades and workarounds.

Postby jbakker on Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:35 pm

I have desoldered them before and soldered in a replacment.
I also have access to used replacment AC cards.

Good luck with fixing it.
jbakker
Forum Guru

My RE system: 2 VFX3648 Inverters 2 FM60 150VDC Charge Controllers Mate3 2.4 KW of panels 15kw JC Onan NG Generator made in 1975 I love that generator almost as much as my wife.
6 banks of 15 cells each from a 2017 Chevy Volt. Parallel for the AMP Hour. 6 Chinese made BMS systems (install to be happening soon)

Return to Backup Applications