Setting help needed

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Backup Applications

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

Setting help needed

Postby wingnutter on Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:37 am

Hi forum,

Can I ask for some help and things to look out for on my new installation?

I am installing:

Outback VFX inverter 3024
Outback FM 80
8 * Rolls 6V 530AH batteries
10 * 185W 24V solar panels
Grid connection for charging batteries when there is a no sun on the solar panels.

The problem that I see arising is that I do not want the grid charging my batteries when the solar panels should be doing this, what is the best way to go about not having this occur?

Many thanks in advance.

David
wingnutter

My RE system: Outback VFX inverter 3024
Outback FM 60
8 * Rolls 6V 600 batteries
Grid connection for charging batteries

Re: Setting help needed

Postby avishekmalla on Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:42 am

look for the hbx control in the manual
avishekmalla
OutBack Whiz

Postby avishekmalla on Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:07 am

look at this video -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyYIsY8Na2A
avishekmalla
OutBack Whiz

Postby tallgirl on Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:03 am

HBX is really only for systems that make enough power to run completely off-grid for days on end. If the system can't make it for at least a week, completely disconnected from the grid, HBX is a mistake. If the array you have can reach "float" 5 out of 7 days in a week, HBX is for you. If not, stick with something like, like GRID-USE.

There are ways to make HBX work in other situations, but they require a FLEXnet DC, which I didn't see in the list of goodies. I also didn't see a Mate 2 or Mate 3. If you want to use HBX, I'd suggest adding a FLEXnet DC and Mate 3. And making sure you have a big enough array for your loads.
Julie in Texas

greenMonitor(tm) for OutBack Power Technologies systems from greenHouse Gas and Electric. Learn more now!
tallgirl
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: 16 Kyocera KC175GT (2,800 watts DC), MX-60, 2 OutBack GVFX3648, 24 GC2 batteries (6v @ 215AH), 14 Pantheon-based ACPV modules (3,200 watts DC), La Crosse Technologies WS2310 Weather Station, greenLogger Sensors environmental monitor, WattNode watt-hour meter, greenLogger Lite data logger.

Postby wingnutter on Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:04 am

Thanks for the speedy reply, great video !
wingnutter

Outback FM 60

Postby wingnutter on Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:33 am

Now you are giving me choice!

I do have a Mate controller it is the standard Mate not the 2 or 3 (just found out they existed)

I live is southern Spain and where there is ample sun for most of the year, the problem is that we do have a winter here allthough brief where you can get several days of rain and cloud. Allegedly we get 320 days of sun a year, so the sales people say.

The main use for the system will be to power an irrigation pump which will not be used when it is raining.

It is a pity that I can not use a combination of HBX and grid use so the batteries only get charged at pre set levels at certain times. or is that just making things even more complicated.

I think on reflection it will be a case of trial and error over the winter, I will start on the HBX function and move to the grid use if things don´t work out.
wingnutter

Outback FM 60

Postby tallgirl on Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:06 pm

The issue with HBX is that the Mate doesn't have enough information to decide if the grid can be dropped, or if it must be used, when you aren't able to stay off-grid for days on end.

The Mate 3 is better with HBX, but what HBX really needs is an understanding of how much energy or load is going to come later in the day. That's the missing ingredient.
Julie in Texas

greenMonitor(tm) for OutBack Power Technologies systems from greenHouse Gas and Electric. Learn more now!
tallgirl
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: 16 Kyocera KC175GT (2,800 watts DC), MX-60, 2 OutBack GVFX3648, 24 GC2 batteries (6v @ 215AH), 14 Pantheon-based ACPV modules (3,200 watts DC), La Crosse Technologies WS2310 Weather Station, greenLogger Sensors environmental monitor, WattNode watt-hour meter, greenLogger Lite data logger.

Postby wingnutter on Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:03 am

You are exactly correct, what I have found is that the FX charger want to charge the batteries and does not allow the charge controller & solar panels to do their job.

I am thinking about turning off the FX charger all together to see if that helps, does entering AUTO into the Mate program turn the charger off, as I cant seem to find instructions on how to turn it off?

The only thing I can do next is to use the grid use function as you suggested.
wingnutter

Outback FM 60

Postby tallgirl on Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:32 am

wingnutter wrote:You are exactly correct, what I have found is that the FX charger want to charge the batteries and does not allow the charge controller & solar panels to do their job.

You need to compare the battery voltages between the inverter/charger settings and the charge controller settings. If you set the "Absorb" voltage higher on the inverter, the charge controller won't complete absorb because the battery voltage is too high.

I am thinking about turning off the FX charger all together to see if that helps, does entering AUTO into the Mate program turn the charger off, as I cant seem to find instructions on how to turn it off?

The only thing I can do next is to use the grid use function as you suggested.

I'd suggest calibrating the inverters and charge controller so they report the same DC battery voltage. Just remember that the inverter has 0.2 volt increments for the battery voltage, and the charge controller has 0.1 volt increments. Pick the inverter battery voltage setting that is CLOSEST to the actual battery voltage.
Julie in Texas

tallgirl
OutBack Emperor

Postby roks on Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:38 am

Hi All,

I am planing a UPS type of setup in Bangladesh. Maximum load of 1200watts, for about 2-6hr when there is load shedding on the grid supply. The 2x400Ah batteries would be charged by 6x145w solar panel (17.3v, 8.3a), mppt controller and when there is no sun it would use grid supply.

I recently bought a 2nd hand VFX3024E (man.date qtr4, 2004) and mate1 firmware 3.5? or 3.05? cant remember now. Upon closer inspection of the manual, http://www.outbackpower.com/pdf/manuals ... REV_A_.pdf , page 2, it reads:
These inverter/chargers are not to be connected to the mains under any circumstances.
The AC-IN connection on each E model inverter/charger is only approved for connection to an AC
generator.

Does that mean I cannot connect this to the grid because of certain regulation or because this inverter does not have the capability?

Would this inverter not allow grid to passthrough and kick in when there is no grid?

Please put me out my miseries, thanks.
roks

My RE system: VFX3024E
Mate
Battery: 200Ah + RTS
Mains AC for charging

Postby blackswan555 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:03 am

Does that mean I cannot connect this to the grid because of certain regulation or because this inverter does not have the capability?

Regulation`s :grin:

Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Postby roks on Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:54 am

blackswan555 wrote:
Regulation`s :grin:

Tim

Thanks Tim.

Next challenge is how to ship to Bangladesh, this thing is heavy. Wonder how OB packages them shipping.
roks

Mate
Mains AC for charging

Postby blackswan555 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:57 am

New they come in a good cardboard box with moulded polystyrene inserts and travel well as that, Just under 30KG`s which "some" carriers will accept at reasonable rates,

Tim
ps Where you sending from ?
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Postby roks on Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:35 am

blackswan555 wrote:ps Where you sending from ?

I am in the UK.

I am travelling to Bangladesh and thinking of bolting to a board and build a box around the inverter stuffed with styrofoam and ..... 8-[ check it in as baggage. we got several tickets, 30k per tickets.
roks

Mate
Mains AC for charging

Return to Backup Applications