Message - Gateway Device Powered Down or Reset

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Backup Applications

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

anduhar
Forum Junior Member

Message - Gateway Device Powered Down or Reset

Post by anduhar » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:46 pm

'Gateway Device Powered Down or Reset' This message occurs a few times everyday. It is immediately followed by 'Gateway Device Powered Up and Restarted.' Then 'Inverter input on port 2 has lost phase' and 'Inverter input on port 7 has lost phase'. 'Phase Loss has cleared on Inverter port 2 input' 'Phase Loss has cleared on Inverter port 7 input'.

What is the Gateway Device? I don't think it's the Mate3. All devices have the latest firmware. The device hub inside the FlexPower housing has been replaced.

David LeBow
OutBack Management

Re: Message - Gateway Device Powered Down or Reset

Post by David LeBow » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:53 pm

The gateway device is indeed the Mate3 (or Mate3S or AXS Port).

If you'd put your OpticsRE site name in your forum profile (same goes for anyone else who hasn't yet...), that would help us take a look at what you're seeing.
David LeBow
Vice President, Software Engineering

Alpha Technologies Inc. / OutBack Power Technologies
3767 Alpha Way Bellingham WA 98226 USA
http://www.alpha.com

anduhar
Forum Junior Member

Post by anduhar » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:31 am

David,

I updated the profile. Please note that the Phase Loss error always follows the Gateway reset. The Gateway reset occurs with or without grid power. If there is no grid power, then there isn't the phase loss. So I am being told it's the grid.

I say it is the Gateway resetting. What causes the gateway to reset?

All the networking cables have been replaced with grounded versions, hub replaced, firmware updated, MATE memory cleared.

Thanks for your help!
Andy

Greg T Fordan
OutBack Technical Service
My RE system: Radian, FM80, FNDC, 48V batt bank

Post by Greg T Fordan » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:15 am

Take note that you are getting these "powered down or reset" notifications every 4 hours. It is because there is a 4 hour setting on your auto-reboot setting. Disable that and you will no longer have those resets, and your phase loss error may disappear too. From the MATE3s Device map, click the Connectivity tab, then on the drop-down, select Disable, Apply, and you are set.
Greg T Fordan
EngTech
Outback Power Technologies

anduhar
Forum Junior Member

Post by anduhar » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:15 am

David and Greg,

Thank you for all the help. You guys quickly nailed it.

Am I creating other problems by not having the Mate3 rebooting regularly?

Previous contacts (my installer to Outback) have suggested that the Phase Loss is caused by not having clean grid power (after many other suggestions and actions) Is the Phase Loss just part of the Mate3 reboot process? It is causing power issues in the house. I became aware when my refrigerator's display would not be on but yet the light would turn on. Every time I saw it happen, I checked the Mate to find the error messages.

Thank you,
Andy

Greg T Fordan
OutBack Technical Service
My RE system: Radian, FM80, FNDC, 48V batt bank

Post by Greg T Fordan » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:13 am

anduhar wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:15 am
Am I creating other problems by not having the Mate3 rebooting regularly?
No. Auto reboot was a solution to frequent disconnection problems that was prevalent in the past. The later firmwares addressed those issues.
anduhar wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:15 am
Previous contacts (my installer to Outback) have suggested that the Phase Loss is caused by not having clean grid power (after many other suggestions and actions) Is the Phase Loss just part of the Mate3 reboot process? It is causing power issues in the house.

That phase loss was "happening" due to auto reboot but you did not actually had a phase loss.
Greg T Fordan
EngTech
Outback Power Technologies

JRHill
Forum Czar
My RE system: -House: FM 80, VFX 3648, FlexnetDC, FlexWare xformer, Mate 3 / Hub, WattPlot/, 2925w SunTech 195, Trojan L16RE-B Batteries. Backup 1: Honda EU7000is w/2 wire auto start via FM80 aux, backup 2: 11kw Miller Bobcat;
-Well: Grundfos 11-SQF-2 pump, controller & AC switch (CU200, IO101), Tristar 45 Controller, 780w SunTech 195, Trojan golf cart batteries.
-All running since July '11 with various upgrades and workarounds.

Post by JRHill » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:59 pm

I've been having this happen for some time now. FW is 003.017.001 updated July 25th, '19.

We notice mainly at night when the LEDs are obvious, a reset of the Mate - the LEDs cycle around and its reset. Auto reboot is Disabled. Now that its generator season the reboot is interrupting generator runs. There is no fault that I can determine. The Event History only lists Gateway Powered Down then Gateway Powered Up. Fortunately the AGS run terminates normally, AC Input stays to Use and the AGS stays at Auto. At this point the battery voltage has always been above the 2 minute set point so it just kills the run.

But what's up with the reboots? Anyone else notice unexplained Mate3 reboots? I'm a FLA Leadite by admission (wink, Rayson) so I'm not inclined to make any changes experimentally. Or is a FW update or reinstall in order?

Best,
Jim

Kurt Lundquist
Alpha Energy Engineering
My RE system: VFX3524, Mate3, 200Ah 24V AGM Battery Bank

Post by Kurt Lundquist » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:35 am

Hi Jim,

Here are my random thoughts

1. There is a newer firmware version for the Mate3 http://www.outbackpower.com/resources-m ... re-updates
2. The CAT5 cable from the HUB is also the power cord so I suggest trying out a new cable with fresh dielectric grease on the terminals.
3. SD card issues can cause reboots. If you are using the SD card you can try removing or replacing it.

-Kurt
Kurt Lundquist
Renewable Energy Project Engineer
http://alphaenergy.us/

JRHill
Forum Czar
My RE system: -House: FM 80, VFX 3648, FlexnetDC, FlexWare xformer, Mate 3 / Hub, WattPlot/, 2925w SunTech 195, Trojan L16RE-B Batteries. Backup 1: Honda EU7000is w/2 wire auto start via FM80 aux, backup 2: 11kw Miller Bobcat;
-Well: Grundfos 11-SQF-2 pump, controller & AC switch (CU200, IO101), Tristar 45 Controller, 780w SunTech 195, Trojan golf cart batteries.

Post by JRHill » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:00 am

Thx Kurt. Just updated to 3.19.1. Hopefully that fixes it.

Jim

JRHill
Forum Czar

Post by JRHill » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:37 pm

Oh, dang. Cell 1 on battery 1 has no readable SG. Purchased 8.2015. We'll see how this goes. ALL the other cells are reading moderate or above at this point. So all other talking points are off the table and I repent for any negative connotations. #-o

\Dang I hope they don't want to replace just one of the string but I bet that's what happens.

Best,
Jim