water on battery tops

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Backup Applications

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

water on battery tops

Postby Megunticook on Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:19 am

I've had these Rolls S-550 batteries for a little over a year now, just wanted to compare notes with others on some observations.

Typically when I check on them (monthly), I notice a little water on the tops of the batteries. Not a lot, but enough to wipe up with a dry rag. At first I thought it might be just condensation (the batteries are in an unheated space), but now I don't think so.

The bank is only occasionally discharged (every other month), most of the time it sits fully charged and floating during the day while I "sell" power to my main AC panel and the grid. I keep a pretty close eye on the voltages and stick with Rolls recommendations (58.8 bulk/absorb, 54 float, not factoring in temp. compensation).

The caps are all on tight but I believe are designed to vent a little bit. Is this electrolyte I'm seeing?

Electrolyte levels are generally 1/4-1/2" below the bottom of the filler necks in each cell, which is what Rolls recommends. I didn't add any water at all for the first year, then just a small amount last month after an EQ cycle.

On a secondary note, I noticed a slight decline in s.g. when I checked last night, which is the first time I measured since adding that water last month. Seemed like s.g. was mostly 1.260 (a handful of cells ranged up to 1.280). Before the water addition, s.g. was more clustered around 1.270 or 1.275 (ranging up to 1.285).

Is the s.g. decline because I added water? Is electrolyte escaping out the caps somehow? Curious to hear others' experiences on this.
https://sunnypower.org
Megunticook
Forum Guru

My RE system: 6.4 kW solar array (21 QCell 305 panels in strings of 3)
GS8048A FLEXpower Radian (Radian 8048A, 2 FlexMax 80 cc's, Mate 3s, FlexNet DC, Hub)
8x6v Rolls-Surette 550 FLA batteries, 428AH

Re: water on battery tops

Postby JRHill on Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:12 pm

There have been several threads lately regarding batteries that really don't do anything but sit there and float.... To me, this low use maintenance has to be harder than working them every day. To me, a bi-monthly std discharge/recharge isn't enough and whacking them with a heavy, deep discharge and heavy charge isn't going to happen in that same cycle. Somehow you have to work them harder for the sake of longevity.

The water on the tops? Grab your mate's favorite jeans, cut out a few squares and mop up the liquid. If the squares disintegrate in a few days then you know if its acid or else its humidity ;-)
JRHill
Forum Guru

My RE system: -House: FM 80, VFX 3648, FlexnetDC, FlexWare xformer, Mate 3 / Hub, WattPlot/, 2925w SunTech 195, Trojan L16RE-B Batteries. Backup 1: Honda EU7000is w/2 wire auto start via FM80 aux, backup 2: 11kw Miller Bobcat;
-Well: Grundfos 11-SQF-2 pump, controller & AC switch (CU200, IO101), Tristar 45 Controller, 780w SunTech 195, Trojan golf cart batteries.
-All running since July '11 with various upgrades and workarounds.

Postby raysun on Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:13 pm

To avoid a denim war, you can take a pinch of baking soda and dissolve in a few ml. of water. Put a drop or two in the puddle on the battery. If it foams like mad, there's acid present.
raysun
Forum Guru

My RE system: Flexpower One: FX3048T, FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
Outback 200NC batteries (8 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
Suniva 330 watt panels (12 - 4Sx3P)

Postby sparksalot on Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:04 pm

H2SO4 has quite a higher temp. to form into vapor and then to condense back to liquid.

Think salt water evaporated and condensed back into drinkable water...salt stayed behind...
sparksalot
Forum Guru

My RE system: FLEXpower TWO VFXR3648A Grid-Tied and Battery Backup Hybrid

Traction battery FLA 48 volt 805Ahr.

30 SolarWorld 245w mono

Postby Shadow_Storm56 on Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:25 pm

Mine stay in float alot but have not had any capacity issues or change ever.
Shadow_Storm56
Forum Guru

My RE system: Solar panels, charge controllers , outback radian inverter.

Postby raysun on Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:43 pm

Anything that can cause splashing including bubbling electrolyte and battery vents can bring a solution to the battery surface. It may be deposited water vapor, or it may be something else.
raysun
Forum Guru

My RE system: Flexpower One: FX3048T, FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
Outback 200NC batteries (8 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
Suniva 330 watt panels (12 - 4Sx3P)

Postby Shadow_Storm56 on Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:45 pm

Plus one tiny drop of acid will spread out and make a big wet spot that never evaporates. My battery tops are wet just from the odd split drop of acid when I do the sg test
Shadow_Storm56
Forum Guru

My RE system: Solar panels, charge controllers , outback radian inverter.

Postby sparksalot on Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:11 pm

Shadow_Storm56 wrote:Plus one tiny drop of acid will spread out and make a big wet spot that never evaporates. My battery tops are wet just from the odd split drop of acid when I do the sg test

Good point about that acid will never evaporate as always does the plain old water.
sparksalot
Forum Guru

My RE system: FLEXpower TWO VFXR3648A Grid-Tied and Battery Backup Hybrid

Traction battery FLA 48 volt 805Ahr.

30 SolarWorld 245w mono

Return to Backup Applications