Backup, integrating generator and battery

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Backup Applications

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

Backup, integrating generator and battery

Postby Smslaw on Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:28 pm

I'm in Maine. System is 6.6 kw, with Solaredge inverter. I looked into battery back-up systems, but both (Powerwall2 and LG) didn't permit the battery to be charged with a generator. We often have grid outages in winter, accompanied by snow and ice. If I can't charge the battery with my generator, and the panels are snow and ice covered, I'm out of luck. Any suggestions or solutions? Thanks
Smslaw
Forum Junior Member

My RE system: 6.6kw system with Solaredge inverter

Re: Backup, integrating generator and battery

Postby Gwendoly Espe on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:02 am

Smslaw wrote:I'm in Maine. System is 6.6 kw, with Solaredge inverter. I looked into battery back-up systems, but both (Powerwall2 and LG) didn't permit the battery to be charged with a generator. We often have grid outages in winter, accompanied by snow and ice. If I can't charge the battery with my generator, and the panels are snow and ice covered, I'm out of luck. Any suggestions or solutions? Thanks

OutBack products can work with both Grid and Generator AC inputs.

The FXR inverter has one set of input connections. Only one AC source can be physically wired to it at any time. However, two different AC sources can be used with an external transfer switch. It is common for backup or grid-interactive systems to use the utility grid as the primary source, but switch to a gas- or diesel-powered generator in emergencies. The inverter can be programmed with separate input criteria for each source.

The Radian inverter has multiple input connections. The grid and generator may be physically wired to the inverter at the same time. The inverter has an internal transfer switch, so no extra parts and it gives more control through inverter programming. The inverter can be programmed with separate input criteria for each source.

We have literature that instructs how to intergrate grid-tied systems with OutBack products: AC Coupling Grid Tie Inverters With
OutBack Battery-Based Inverters
Gwendoly Espe
Applications Engineer

Gwendoly Espe
Applications Engineering

Postby raysun on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:31 am

I'm off-grid and use a battery bank made of Outback 200NC cells. Outback also sells a battery model for extended float/standby service.

In the lithium battery field, SimpliPhi has a line of batteries that are said to be drop-in replacements for lead acid. Outback is familiar with these batteries. A few folks on this forum report good results with them.
raysun
Forum Guru

My RE system: Flexpower One: FX3048T, MX80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
Outback 200NC batteries (8 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
Suniva 330 watt panels (12 - 4Sx3P)

Postby billi on Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:07 am

Hello ,
How long are those power cuts ? And how much kWh do you use per day ? Maybe a bigger battery and an offgrid inverer , that allows Ac-Couppling is avoiding the need of the generator

the electrycity coming from your Generator needs to be very clean to work with Grid tie inverter
My GTI usually switches off, if my generator is connected to my off grid inverter :roll:
It would be better to have a direct charging DC Generator but not sure if Powerwall or LG are easy with that , but there are other batteries on the market for lot less ...

Billi
billi
Forum Guru

My RE system: 4000 watt PV array , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery @ C5 ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1000 watt windturbine AC-coupled , 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator

Return to Backup Applications