AGXO? (auto shutdown)

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Backup Applications

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

AGXO? (auto shutdown)

Postby JRHill on Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:33 pm

You don't have an AGS capable generator. But you're warm, cozy and ready for bed. And the damn charge cycle/demand isn't done yet....

Has anyone tried and successfully used the AGS function to shut down a gen set when its done?

The use case would be that you start the generator while you're moving around and its light out, etc.... Then you use the Mate3's option to open the circuit, shutting down the gen set. I'm still pondering which programming option. Anybody doing this?

Best,
Jim
JRHill
OutBack Guru

My RE system: -House: FM 80, VFX 3648, FlexnetDC, FlexWare xformer, Mate 3 / Hub, WattPlot/, 2925w SunTech 195, Trojan L16RE-B Batteries. Backup 1: Champion 75531i 3100, backup 2: 11kw Miller Bobcat;
-Well: Grundfos 11-SQF-2 pump, controller & AC switch (CU200, IO101), Morningstar 15a/48vdc Controller, 780w SunTech 195, Trojan golf cart batteries.
-All running since July '11 with no critical problems.

Re: AGXO? (auto shutdown)

Postby sodamo on Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:18 am

Perhaps I don't understand when you start out: "you don't have an AGS capable generator"

My generator is 2 wire start, wired to my Inverter AuX, hence AGS capable. If a generator is not connected to Mate then I doubt there is any control.

I can start the generator manually from my Mate 3 and shut it down from OpticsRE, or I can start it manually from OpticsRE and shut manually at the Mate 3, If autostarted via AGS I can either manual shut down at Mate 3 or via OpticsRE.

If asking if your start manually from Mate 3 and have it terminate automatically once parameters are met, that I don't know.

If I totally misread, my apologies.
sodamo
OutBack Guru

My RE system: Totally off grid
36 Trina 280 & 16 Phono 250 in 48 volt array (fixed) 14080w
4 FX3048T
RTS
4 FM 80 charge controllers
FNDC w/3 shunts
Mate 3
OpticsRE - Piha Kahuku
18 Aquion Aspen 48S (39.6kw)
24Kw Yangdong Genset (Affordable Generators - Poor support)
10Kw MEP 803a
2Kw Honda 2000i

Davis VantagePro2 Wx Station
On line at: http://www.weatherlink.com/user/sodamo/

Postby blackswan555 on Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:44 am

Has anyone tried and successfully used the AGS function to shut down a gen set when its done?

I have not used it like above but can see no reason not to drive a relay with an aux that kills gen, maybe a bit fiddly with the programing and use,
I would start with unreachable AGS start parameters so it never hits auto start, Normal charge voltage and time (if it trys to auto and fails, you will get error, AGS error is triggered by the system sending out the start signal and waiting the programed time "looking for" AC in and not getting it, no biggy if you do not rely on it for every day charging)
Normal day to day you would have the aux turned permanently on via mate so gen would run as it does now (gen run to manual,on) when you do not want to go to shed you could either flick across to "auto on" and the system would carry on running an AGS cycle then stop gen or manual off to stop it then,

To save you doing too much work to start you may want to experiment :smile: On the later inverters there is a small yellow LED by the AUX connector that shows when it is on (and you can hear small internal relay click) treat that as a pseudo gen "for test purposes" before you get the tools out :grin:

Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Postby JRHill on Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:21 am

David, the 'lil generator has a pull cord and choke-to-start. The big gen is electric start and choke-to-start. I only want to apply this to the 'lil generator as it's close to the house and has a mostly empty conduit so its available for an external switch or relay signal leads.

Tim, yes, this is the approach I was wondering about. I am going to tie to the 'lil generator start/stop leads and put an external switch in the house. But since I already have a relay on the CC that signals an indicator light when float is achieved (summer only use), I could easily use this for the generator shut down (winter only). The Aux function Gen Alert is based upon battery voltage, not the charge cycle so I thought to ask before going any further....

Still pondering the easiest way without making things more complicated for others.

Thanks,
Jim
JRHill
OutBack Guru

My RE system: -House: FM 80, VFX 3648, FlexnetDC, FlexWare xformer, Mate 3 / Hub, WattPlot/, 2925w SunTech 195, Trojan L16RE-B Batteries. Backup 1: Champion 75531i 3100, backup 2: 11kw Miller Bobcat;
-Well: Grundfos 11-SQF-2 pump, controller & AC switch (CU200, IO101), Morningstar 15a/48vdc Controller, 780w SunTech 195, Trojan golf cart batteries.

Postby JRHill on Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:56 am

I've shelved the idea for auto shut down in favor of just using a remote kill switch. Sure, it could be partially achieved but using the Mate3 results in unnecessary complications and I can't keep things simpler than just having a manual switch.

Thanks for the input.

Have a wonderful 2017,
Jim
JRHill
OutBack Guru

Postby blackswan555 on Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:02 am

Thought you may say that :grin: To make it bedtime friendly you could add a countdown timer ?

Happy New year all, Hope you has a very good one

Tim

Small after thought, Use a push to kill button in the house not a straight on/off switch, That way you will not walk to start gen then remember kill switch is "off" when you get there :grin:
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Return to Backup Applications