No Luck Selling with Mate3

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Grid Tie Applications

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

No Luck Selling with Mate3

Postby mikejrod on Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:22 pm

Attached below is the exchange I had under the Mate3 forum. In a nutshell, I cannot get my system to sell excess production while prioritizing battery use while the battery is fully charged. I am able to initiate selling the way I want to (PV powers the house while charging the batteries, once batteries are fully charged PV powers the house/maintains battery/sells excess) by manually activating Sell and connecting to the grid. The charge termination control and enable auto grid-tie control seems to only be able to disable Sell; it does not re-enable it.It also will not automatically switch to using the batteries after the amount of PV available drops below enough to run the house and sell (it just starts to buy from the grid).

Any success stories with selling that doesn't require manually switching it on?

Selling with Mate3

Postby mikejrod on Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:50 pm
I have a battery system with the GS8048, FLEXnetDC, and the Mate3. I have had no luck getting the system to sell back excess generation. I have 5.3kW max panel array, and I am wondering if this scenario is possible:

I would like the system to first charge the batteries to 100% while powering whatever the house needs, then at this point continue to power the house and sell whatever can be produced above this. What has happened so far, is that the system either keeps conditioning the batteries at a higher volt (59.9) for hours, or it simply drops what it is bringing in from the panels to run the house and maintain the batteries at 100%.

I generally use HBX in the winter months since Wisconsin doesn't get a ton of sun so that the batteries can be charged from the grid during off peak hours. The only selling I have seen the system do is when I tried to charge up the batteries from the grid and the system switched to selling back from the batteries what I had just pulled from the grid.

Is it possible for the system to sell directly from the panels? Can it do this at the same time as maintaining the batteries and running the house? I haven't found many discussions concerning selling here, so I'm also not sure what other setting info might be helpful.

mikejrod

My RE system: GS8048, FLEXnet DC, FM60-150VDC, FM80-150VDC, Mate3

Re: Selling with Mate3

Postby Mike Curran on Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:08 pm
Mike - Check out this post from the MX60 forum. Solarhacker does this the same as I do with similar equipment. Not the same as yours but maybe it'll help.

solarhacker wrote:
Julie,

I configure my sell-RE to 2 tenths higher than the float voltage. Because I have a FN-DC I can configure the MATE to disable the SELL function of
the GTFX at midnight each day and then when the FN-DC indicates "charge parms met" the GTFX is commanded to sell again. I set the absorb time on the charge controller to be about twice as long as should be required to re-fill my batteries after the overnight draw of my DC loads. So my charge controller is always at absorb voltage when the GTFX is commanded to sell again. So while the GTFX is in sell mode the battery voltage is held to a little above float voltage.

Cheers

Darren

Mike Curran
OutBack Virtuoso

My RE system: Outback: 8 (2x4) Evergreen 180's into one MX60, 2 grid-tied GVFX3524's classic stacked for 120/240VAC, 12 Surrette/Rolls 2V x 1766Ah, Hub4, Mate3, FNDC, RTS.

Westinghouse Solar: 30 (2x15) 235W panels with Enphase M215 microinverters. 6,450 nameplate watts AC, grid-tied.

Postby mikejrod on Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:42 am
Thanks for the link. This partially worked. I reset the sell-RE to 54v while the float is at 53.6v (it didn't give me the option of 53.8v) and reset the absorb time to 4 hours. This got the system to charge the batteries to 100% and then keep it there while it was doing the bulk of the selling...until the panels started bringing in about what was required to run the house and still send a bit to the batteries. At this point it started to buy from the grid to run the house instead of just using the batteries. This is what I'm trying to avoid since there is no point selling what I produced for $.04 and then immediately starting to buy during peak hours for $.18. The other big issue is that I have to physically hit the manual use button to get the system to connect to the grid to start selling, which only works when I happen to be home otherwise it never sells. At this point, I also have to manually disconnect from the grid to keep it from buying when it should be using the batteries.

The other issue that I am having is that the HBX is no longer working; not even when I disable selling. I'm not sure how to set the FLEXnet-DC to address this. Is this part of the GTFX or is that a different inverter type? I haven't found any menus that address "parameters met" so I'm at a loss. I have looked at the FLEXnet Relay Set points, but the manual is kind of vague as to what this does.

mikejrod

Postby Mike Curran on Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:19 am
It sounds like maybe you haven't set up your charge parameters in the FLEXnetDC properly. Here's a link from Outback's Sandra Herrera on how to program it:

Sandra Herrera wrote:
http://outbackpower.com/downloads/docum ... p_note.pdf

Once these are set you'll have to program your Mate3 to enable charge termination control and enable auto grid-tie control (two different enables), under the FLEXnetDC Advanced Control menu on the Mate3. It's on page 38 in the Mate3 programming manual (Rev A).

HBX is programmed from the Mate3. There's an Outback video on this (https://youtu.be/hBxCwdDScTM) and your Mate3 manual also describes it. I do not use it myself, I don't have enough PV connected to my batteries to make it worthwhile. Plus we don't have time of use rates here, and it's cheaper for me to use grid power than cycle my batteries (backup only).

The auxiliary relay function is used for operating external equipment based on your system status. On my system for example I use it to start the battery box vent fans when battery voltage goes above 27 volts.

Mike Curran
OutBack Virtuoso

My RE system: Outback: 8 (2x4) Evergreen 180's into one MX60, 2 grid-tied GVFX3524's classic stacked for 120/240VAC, 12 Surrette/Rolls 2V x 1766Ah, Hub4, Mate3, FNDC, RTS.

Westinghouse Solar: 30 (2x15) 235W panels with Enphase M215 microinverters. 6,450 nameplate watts AC, grid-tied.

Postby mikejrod on Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:06 pm
Still no luck with getting the system to use the batteries at the end of the day when the PV drops below what it needs to be selling and running the house. It will have a brief period where the PV is enough to run the house and maintain the float voltage by staying connected grid but showing that it is Consuming from the batteries. It starts to buy from the grid as soon as the demand is more than this, so I have to manually drop from the grid. I did enable the settings you suggested, but it appears the only time based parameter is the internally set drop for selling at midnight. Am I missing something or is this beyond the Mate3's possibilities?

One of the Watt School videos talked about setting the system to be in Grid-tied for selling hours and then Grid-Zero in evening hours. Any experience with or opinions on this?

mikejrod

Postby Mike Curran on Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:21 pm
Sorry, can't help you there. Actually your equipment is behaving exactly like mine does - I don't want to use my battery when grid is available and there's no sun. Grid zero isn't an option for my inverters, no experience with it....

This thread talks about doing what you want to do, using HBX: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8167. But if HBX isn't working for you then something else might be wrong.

You might want to restart this thread on the grid-tied inverter forum, or else contact OB Tech support. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Mike Curran
OutBack Virtuoso

mikejrod

Re: No Luck Selling with Mate3

Postby Mike Curran on Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:44 pm

Not sure this'll help, but check out this post: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8284

Also, have you tried calling OB Tech Support? This number's for corporate, I'm sure they can connect you to someone who can help:
1 360.435.6030
Mike Curran
OutBack Guru

My RE system: Outback:
- 8 (2x4) Evergreen 180's into one MX60
- 6 (2×3) ALEO S79-300's into one FM80
- 2 grid-tied GVFX3524's classic stacked for 120/240VAC
- 12 Surrette/Rolls 2V x 1766Ah
- Hub10.3, Mate3, FNDC, RTS, OpticsRE. Tigo Energy ES maximizers on each PV module.

Westinghouse Solar:
- 30 (2x15) 235W panels with Enphase M215 microinverters, grid-tied.

Return to Grid Tie Applications