Future development for G Inverters?

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Grid Tie Applications

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

verdigo
Forum Member
My RE system: Outback PSX-240, Midnite combiner, GVFX 3648, Midnite Classic 150, 3500 watts of PV

Future development for G Inverters?

Post by verdigo » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:34 pm

Just wondering if Outback is working on making the G Inverters more forgiving as far as being able to work with regular A/C generators. I am in the process of putting together a battery backed grid connected system, and have not purchased an inverter yet.

Also. Would a vented inverter be okay for use in a shed in high humidity? (Southern Kentucky)

Dennis
Dennis

MyEnergyWarehouse
Forum Whiz
My RE system: Radian Inverter, Mate 3, FM 80

Re: Future development for G Inverters?

Post by MyEnergyWarehouse » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:22 am

verdigo wrote:Just wondering if Outback is working on making the G Inverters more forgiving as far as being able to work with regular A/C generators. I am in the process of putting together a battery backed grid connected system, and have not purchased an inverter yet.
I am not aware that they are. In fact I'm not sure that they can due to UL requirements when grid connected. I hope to be educated if I'm wrong.
verdigo wrote:Also. Would a vented inverter be okay for use in a shed in high humidity? (Southern Kentucky)
Yes, it should be OK. When you need the sealed version is when you have tropical humidity and salt air.....

jnh
Forum Guru
My RE system: GVFX-3524, FM-80+FM-60, ~4.9kW PV in mixed panels on movable platforms, 300 Ah AGMs @ 24V, 80Ah @ 12V, Hub4, Mate, FNDC, Brultech GEM 32-ch AC datalogger, Midnite E-Panel, homebrew DC-DC crossfeed to 12V system, Honda EU-1000i, Iota DLS-27-25

Post by jnh » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:27 pm

MyEnergyWarehouse wrote:
verdigo wrote:Just wondering if Outback is working on making the G Inverters more forgiving as far as being able to work with regular A/C generators. I am in the process of putting together a battery backed grid connected system, and have not purchased an inverter yet.
I am not aware that they are. In fact I'm not sure that they can due to UL requirements when grid connected. I hope to be educated if I'm wrong.
They could have tied input tolerances to the Mate's SETUP/FX/INPUT toggle, loading strict UL1741 parameters when that's set for GRID, and falling back to looser VFX settings when set to GEN (while also disabling the sell-back feature, since you wouldn't want to try back-feeding a generator anyway-- hopefully the GEN setting already has that effect, but I haven't tried to test it).

I don't expect to see any improvement in this area, though, considering the software inside a GFX isn't user-upgradable, and any even if it were, any changes made might require repeating the UL/IEEE certification testing.

verdigo
Forum Member
My RE system: Outback PSX-240, Midnite combiner, GVFX 3648, Midnite Classic 150, 3500 watts of PV

Post by verdigo » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:27 pm

[/quote]They could have tied input tolerances to the Mate's SETUP/FX/INPUT toggle, loading strict UL1741 parameters when that's set for GRID, and falling back to looser VFX settings when set to GEN (while also disabling the sell-back feature, since you wouldn't want to try back-feeding a generator anyway-- hopefully the GEN setting already has that effect, but I haven't tried to test it).[/quote]

So I would be able to use a non-inverter generator to charge batteries through the GVFX inverter? Just not as a generator support function.
Dennis