GFX Grid Tie Inverter - need batteries to be grid connected?

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Grid Tie Applications

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

Surfpath
Forum Expert
My RE system: Outback Flexpower-1-6 system (VFX3048e, FM80, 48v, 50hz, 240v), 2,750w of PV (4 series of 3 panels/ea, 100v max-combiner to controller), 370amp/hr L16REB battery bank. Honda 2k briefcase generator. 100% offgrid.

GFX Grid Tie Inverter - need batteries to be grid connected?

Post by Surfpath » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:41 am

Quick noob question: do you need to have a battery bank for a GFX inverter? Ie can it be grid connected-only, supplying power from PV back to the grid? I am just curious and my 5 minute search did not produce an answer.
Cheers,
SP

Surfpath
Forum Expert
My RE system: Outback Flexpower-1-6 system (VFX3048e, FM80, 48v, 50hz, 240v), 2,750w of PV (4 series of 3 panels/ea, 100v max-combiner to controller), 370amp/hr L16REB battery bank. Honda 2k briefcase generator. 100% offgrid.

Re: GFX Grid Tie Inverter - need batteries to be grid connec

Post by Surfpath » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:56 am

OK, I may have an answer from the GFX operator manual.
"The inverter requires batteries to operate. Other sources may not maintain DC voltages that are consistent enough for the inverter to operate reliably".

The reason for my inquiry was that I was planning for the GFX to be a back up off-grid inverter (see discussion here:http://outbackpower.com/forum/viewtopic ... 696#p64696).

But in the long run I was ALSO wondering if it could work in another dwelling that we have that is grid connected.

Hmmmm
If the inverter was provided with a 48v source in order to power it up (48vDC converted from AC mains power), perhaps that would also work?

Just some random thoughts...

raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower Two: (2) FXR3048A, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
SimpliPhi 48-3.8 (6 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
Suniva 330 watt panels (12 - 6 strings of 2 in series)
Hyundai 355 watt panels (6 - 3 strings of 2 in series)
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator

Post by raysun » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:23 am

You might be able to "trick" it into powering up that way, or with a small battery (eg. 4 12v gel cells), but that won't get PV harvest into the unit. A charge controller would be needed and that has to see an actual battery of proper capacity. The battery, beside being a storage container, acts as a current sink to keep all the participating units on an even keel.

jbakker
Forum Guru
My RE system: 2 VFX3648 Inverters 2 FM60 150VDC Charge Controllers Mate3 3.4 KW of panels 15kw JC Onan NG Generator made in 1975 I love that generator almost as much as my wife.
7 banks of 14 cells each from a 2017 Chevy Volt. Parallel for the AMP Hour. 7 Chinese made BMS systems.

Post by jbakker » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:24 am

The Outback Inverters as far as I know are not designed to be grid tied without a battery bank.
Inverters that do Grid Tie without battery bank are designed to do so.
They have no extra charge controller. PV into the inverter and 240 Volt out to the grid, there are the correct protection devices as well.
The inverter is awake all the time as it sees the grid and is powered by the grid.
No battery bank needed. The only time I have seen a battery bank used with a Solar Grid Tie inverter is when the inverter is being feed DC voltage from a wind turbine. The wind turbine voltage is Wild AC so it must be rectified using a controller. This controller is connected to a small battery bank. ItÔÇÖs job is to act like a large filter, to smooth out the DC going into the Solar Inverter as wind is not a steady source of power.
There many types of solar inverters out there if buying one do your homework.