Time of Use and Grid Tie Sell

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Grid Tie Applications

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

pss
Forum Guru
My RE system: 8330 watts in three strings, Flexmax 60 x 3, Radian 8048A, GSLC load center, Mate 3S, Hub 10.3, FN-DC and 900 Amp, 48V Trojan T105-RE battery bank.

Time of Use and Grid Tie Sell

Post by pss » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:42 am

I thought I would post a screenshot from March 22, 2020 of my system's activity for the day. The output being shown was in real time today, not from yesterday. The graphed data is from yesterday. My system is set for a grid tie sell voltage of 54.8. The system is also set to disconnect from the grid just before 4 PM and to reconnect just after 9 PM when electric rates are the highest through the Mate 3S Grid Use menu tab. So the system operates on batteries from 4-9 PM. Also, the system's Radian grid charger is kept off unless there is a particularly stormy day. The image shows how charging ramps up from the 3 controllers, how selling to the grid kicks in, how the system goes to battery mode, how the voltages and SOC drop and how the system reconnects to the grid and uses the grid to power loads until the next morning when PV kicks back in, charging has occurred to a point and then loads are also powered by the PV and finally enough PV has entered the batteries and is available to continue the battery charging, power the loads and then sell to the grid.
Grid Tied Sell.png
I decided to post this for 2 reasons: On the forum, there have been many questions about grid tie sell and how it is supposed to work and many questions about grid use, generator use and time of use savings. Hopefully this illustration can be useful to others tweaking their system. And lastly, there are many persons on this forum more knowledgeable than I and they more offer constructive critiques to tweak output even further. My system is 3 years old now and for the past 1 year I have settled on these parameters which seem to allow me to harvest the maximum amount of PV from my system.

fcwlp
Forum Guru
My RE system: GS8048A, FM80 w/3,600 W PV Fixed, FM80 w/2,700W on Zomeworks tracker, Mate3, 24 Trojan 2V L16 1100AH @ C20, Grid-Tied with Kohler 14RESA LPG Generator and MEP-803 Diesel if needed
I also install and maintain grid-tied and off-grid systems, details will be given for these system if required

Re: Time of Use and Grid Tie Sell

Post by fcwlp » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:14 pm

pss wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:42 am
The system is also set to disconnect from the grid just before 4 PM and to reconnect just after 9 PM when electric rates are the highest through the Mate 3S Grid Use menu tab. So the system operates on batteries from 4-9 PM.
Looks good. Rather than disconnecting from the grid, I normally use Grid Zero or Mini-Grid for the peak rate period. Both give you the option to fall back to the grid if needed with Mini-Grid taking nothing from the grid during normal operation. Any of the three methods is a great way to not pay peak-use rates, especially when the power company has a one-hour peak kW multiplier.

pss
Forum Guru
My RE system: 8330 watts in three strings, Flexmax 60 x 3, Radian 8048A, GSLC load center, Mate 3S, Hub 10.3, FN-DC and 900 Amp, 48V Trojan T105-RE battery bank.

Post by pss » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:47 am

I have found that when I use Grid Zero, there is always that connection to the grid and my baseline cost from the grid is about 500 watts per hour. Add this up over the month as prime rates and it gets expensive. When I use Minigrid, I seem to see less total PV output, almost like if the batts are charged, the loads are met. In my case, my usage from 4-9 PM is fairly constant, so my batteries are safe. If we get a storm and I charge up from grid, the next morning if the day is sunny I am selling by 9AM because the batts are full already. The other advantage I have found using Grid Tied is that when the grid disconnect occurs at 4 PM, in the March to September months, there is enough PV available in the day to push my battery voltage up from the sell level to the absorb value which I think is a good exercise for the batteries.

AltPowerRob
Forum Expert
My RE system: DC-Coupled Grid-Tied w/ Battery Backup & Multiple Arrays: Outback Radian 8048A Grid-Interactive w/ (2) Discover LiFePO4 6.6KWH batteries. 6.4KW Total PV on (2) Arrays: (1) DC-coupled w/ (18) SW300s on (3) strings of (6 ea) via an FM100 CC & (1) w/ (3) SW300s w/ Enphase IQ6 Micros Grid-Tied direct. 7.5KW 30A 240V Portable Gas Gen manual inlet for occasional longer-term outage backup. Monitoring w/ Optics, AES Dashboard & Enlighten.

Post by AltPowerRob » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:40 am

Love this post & appreciate the detailed overview of how you are using your Radian in GT Sell-Back Mode, etc.. I have almost identical equipment on my own system, as well as 1 client's setup, in which both systems I'm having issue w/ the GT Sell-Back working properly?.. Maybe you can help, as I haven't gone to Tech Support w/ this yet, but may need to.. Here's the scenario:
Inverter is set to "Grid-Tie" Mode.. Using Discover LFP Batts 54.4 charged voltage parameter

1. On my system (using FM100) .. Grid-Tie Sell "Enable" will not stay on, nor Automatically kick-in in the AM when the plentiful PV is present therefore I have to manually "enable" each AM early & then it does it's thing (sell-back & supply loads) beautifully.. Why will this setting not stay on & be ready each day for the PV & then sell-back automatically ?

2. Secondly, my client's system (using FM80s) does the same thing as 1. above, but his is also "curtailing" the PV (during a plentiful PV day) when the battery hits @ or below the sell-back voltage?..

One would think that the system would work such that you could keep the sell-back setpoint @ a high battery SOC level (say 54.2) and then the battery would stay basically in float-mode, but then all the excess PV would supply loads & sell-back all day long until the sun goes down.. Isn't that what it's supposed to do?
I can't seem to get this function to work just right?

Could it be that the "Global Charge Control" (w/ it's several parameters to be met) is keeping the PV curtailed once we hit this Grid-Tie Sell Setpoint? BTW.. both of these systems are DC-Coupled w/ CC's (FM 80s & FM100)..

Any advice is appreciated!

Rob
Rob Bennett
Principal, E.I.T.(CEM(EE)), Designer/Master Electrician
Alternative Power Solutions

fcwlp
Forum Guru
My RE system: GS8048A, FM80 w/3,600 W PV Fixed, FM80 w/2,700W on Zomeworks tracker, Mate3, 24 Trojan 2V L16 1100AH @ C20, Grid-Tied with Kohler 14RESA LPG Generator and MEP-803 Diesel if needed
I also install and maintain grid-tied and off-grid systems, details will be given for these system if required

Post by fcwlp » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:51 am

Hi Rob, I have a grid tied Radian with FM80s and customer has a grid-tied Radian with an FM100, both with FLA batteries. In OpticsRE, under Global Charge what is your "Auto Grid-Tie Control" set to. Both systems have this as "disabled." If I recall correctly, when I tried "enabled" it caused similar problems to what you are describing.

AltPowerRob
Forum Expert
My RE system: DC-Coupled Grid-Tied w/ Battery Backup & Multiple Arrays: Outback Radian 8048A Grid-Interactive w/ (2) Discover LiFePO4 6.6KWH batteries. 6.4KW Total PV on (2) Arrays: (1) DC-coupled w/ (18) SW300s on (3) strings of (6 ea) via an FM100 CC & (1) w/ (3) SW300s w/ Enphase IQ6 Micros Grid-Tied direct. 7.5KW 30A 240V Portable Gas Gen manual inlet for occasional longer-term outage backup. Monitoring w/ Optics, AES Dashboard & Enlighten.

Post by AltPowerRob » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:04 am

They're both "Enabled" w/ the Auto Grid Tie Control.. Logically, to me, it would make sense to have this on, but I will certainly run w/ it off for a few days & see if there's a difference?... Maybe there was something in an "addendum" that I missed? All of my firmware is up to date.. Thanks for looking at your "properly functioning" system settings and providing this input!.. I"ll LYK.

Rob
Rob Bennett

pss
Forum Guru

Post by pss » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:35 am

Mate 3S / Global Charge / Auto Grid-Tie Control set to DISABLED

This usually solves your problem because the parameters are reset at midnight in the software which is why you are having to reset the system to sell each day. This tab solves that.

AltPowerRob
Forum Expert

Post by AltPowerRob » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:03 pm

Awesome.. I got this done & we'll verify in the AM..

On my 2nd issue (my Client's system w/ 2-FM80s & 7.2KWPV)... where the PV gets curtailed when the sell-back gets the battery down to a setpoint voltage (say 53.6 from the full of 54.4).. and then doesn't want to sell-back anymore?... Any ideas why this could be happening? How about the 'Charge Control Termination' setting? I should be able to leave my 'Grid-Tie Sell' Enabled & @ a setpoint of 54.0 V (98%SOC) & not have to worry about the PV being "curtailed", as it should simply satisfy all loads, and then sell-back the excess.. maybe another setting needs turned off?

Thanks!!....... Rob
Rob Bennett

pss
Forum Guru

Post by pss » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:16 pm

On my charge controllers, I set my absorb at 58.6 volts for 4 hours. My float is at 54.8 and my sell is at 54.8. My daytime load is always about 2.8 or higher. When my batteries hit the voltage parameter, selling begins, even though my batteries are not fully charged. In fact, my SOC can be as low as 84 when selling begins to take place. The SOC has more to do with amperage put into the batteries than voltage. On days with mixed clouds and sun, it is common to see Optics show an hour where 1.7 kW was sold and 1.0 kW was taken from the grid. Selling goes back and forth with buying depending on the amount of available PV. Remember, charging the batteries is the priority, not powering loads or selling, they come after. I have found that the 4 hour absorb timer cycle works best for me, always pushing my batteries to be high achievers, not just hitting a mark for a few minutes, then floating for the last 3 - 5 hours of the PV day game. Usually by 1 PM, I have a full charge and no further take from the grid happens, just loads, float and selling. It takes about 5 hours to fully charge my batteries on a very sunny day.
So, maybe check out the charge controller settings and see if your can tweak those and understand that selling is the last thing to happen after batteries and loads are being maintained by the system.

fcwlp
Forum Guru

Post by fcwlp » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:27 pm

AltPowerRob wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:04 am
They're both "Enabled" w/ the Auto Grid Tie Control.. Logically, to me, it would make sense to have this on,
Rob, it seemed logical to me to when I tried it.
pss wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:35 am
This usually solves your problem because the parameters are reset at midnight in the software which is why you are having to reset the system to sell each day. This tab solves that.
Thanks for the explanation.

AltPowerRob
Forum Expert

Post by AltPowerRob » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:39 pm

Thanks pss.. I get all that.. as this is where our systems differ greatly.. Both these systems I'm dealing with are using LFP (LiFePO4) batteries.. totally different charging paramaters (voltage, termination current & absorb timers..) for the CC's, as well as the Inverter's Charger... That's all set just where they need to be..

The issue is w/ the Outback Controls & how/when it chooses to sell after all the loads are met (just like w/ what you described in your ssystem).. That part of the system is exactly the same & very understood by me.. When PV is flowing, the system satisfies the loads 1st (house loads & battery) and then it is supposed to sell the excess back to the grid.. This is the part that's not happening!.. It's meeting the loads, selling down to the "Grid-Sell" Voltage setpoint and then "curtailing the PV", even when the sun is still shining.. ??

There's got to be another "controls setting" that needs turned off or on?

Rob
Rob Bennett

fcwlp
Forum Guru

Post by fcwlp » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:40 pm

AltPowerRob wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:03 pm
On my 2nd issue (my Client's system w/ 2-FM80s & 7.2KWPV)... where the PV gets curtailed when the sell-back gets the battery down to a setpoint voltage (say 53.6 from the full of 54.4).. and then doesn't want to sell-back anymore?... Any ideas why this could be happening? How about the 'Charge Control Termination' setting? I should be able to leave my 'Grid-Tie Sell' Enabled & @ a setpoint of 54.0 V (98%SOC) & not have to worry about the PV being "curtailed", as it should simply satisfy all loads, and then sell-back the excess.. maybe another setting needs turned off?
Rob, if you are speaking about the Mate3 -> Global Charge - >Auto Charge Termination Control setting, mine are set to "disabled."

I have not worked with Lithium batteries yet. The general Outback recommendation for lead-acid batteries is to have the sell voltage 1.5V lower than the float voltage.

pss
Forum Guru

Post by pss » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:51 pm

Just remember, when you call Outback, they will not provide information on how to set up your system parameters. They will really only tell you how to operate their equipment and troubleshoot it if it is broken. I higher sell point lets my batteries stay at higher voltage, but mine are FLA. Lithium would be different. Yes about the mate 3 settings and check out the absorb time in charge controller.

AltPowerRob
Forum Expert

Post by AltPowerRob » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:13 pm

Rob, if you are speaking about the Mate3 -> Global Charge - >Auto Charge Termination Control setting, mine are set to "disabled."

I have not worked with Lithium batteries yet. The general Outback recommendation for lead-acid batteries is to have the sell voltage 1.5V lower than the float voltage.
[/quote]

fcwlp... Thank You!.. I was actually speaking to the "Charge Termination Control" in the FNDC Settings, vs. "Global" Auto Charge Termination Control(which is under ? ) is supposed to look @ all the charging parameters being met before terminating charging.. as the FNDC "Charge Term Control" would just be for the Batteries (or DC shunt-monitored sources)

I'm not sure if this would be correct, as It sounds possibly like both of these Auto Control Settings need "Disabled" in-order for GT Sell-Back to work properly?... I will test this and get back to you all in the next day or so.. I still don't think this is our issue... as "Charge Term Control" should still be in-place so as to not overcharge batteries, but maybe the Charger Settings in the CC simply override this?

Thanks..... Rob
Rob Bennett

fcwlp
Forum Guru

Post by fcwlp » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:16 pm

AltPowerRob wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:13 pm
fcwlp... Thank You!.. I was actually speaking to the "Charge Termination Control" in the FNDC Settings, vs. "Global" Auto Charge Termination Control(which is under ? ) is supposed to look @ all the charging parameters being met before terminating charging.. as the FNDC "Charge Term Control" would just be for the Batteries (or DC shunt-monitored sources)

I'm not sure if this would be correct, as It sounds possibly like both of these Auto Control Settings need "Disabled" in-order for GT Sell-Back to work properly?... I will test this and get back to you all in the next day or so.. I still don't think this is our issue... as "Charge Term Control" should still be in-place so as to not overcharge batteries, but maybe the Charger Settings in the CC simply override
For the FNDC the "Charge Termination Control" function is enabled by default in the FNDC Advanced Menu. This is enabled on my Radian systems and Outback for the Discover batteries also expects that it be enabled. With the FNDC "Charge Termination Control" enabled, the FNDC terminates the charge based on the Charged Voltage, Charged Time and Charged Return Amps being all met. Are you following the recommended FNDC settings in the OB Discover App Note http://outbackpower.com/downloads/docum ... p_note.pdf?

The OB Discover AN states the at rest voltage for the Discover batteries is ~53.5V and recommends a sell voltage of 53.2. Absorb voltage is recommended at 54.4V on inverter and 54.8V on CC for 0.5 to 3 hours.

AltPowerRob
Forum Expert

Post by AltPowerRob » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:58 pm

http://www.outbackpower.com/forum/membe ... le&u=16473

Thanks for this updated AN! I was actually involved a couple years back in supplying Discover w/ data while in-use on a couple of OB Radians, off-grid only .. I didn't however know that they produced this updated AN, as I've been working off my notes from that testing experience a few years back :)

Nonetheless.. they did change their minds a few times on a few of these setpoints... I've got 5 off-grid Discover Systems out there, but the Grid-Tie, just these 2 & I'm having a similar sell-back issue w/ both? I will pull-back a bit on my sell voltages, as I've been running @ 54.0, which keeps my battery at a higher SOC, and this system w/ the FM100 doesn't have a "curtailment" issue, just the one w/ the (2) FM80s.. I will check back through those setpoints, as maybe it is something within the CC's?

Thanks for confirming my thoughts to NOT turn off the Charge Termination Control, as that's a critical control for everything you stated..

I will tell you that on the Discovers, you will want to be careful about an Absorb time greater than 30 mins (as we keep all ours in the 12-15 min range).. During testing we saw that after 15 mins the internal cell temps really went up, and these batteries have a shutdown limit, where you'll get an audible alarm, and then a full protective shutdown.. I can't believe this AN shows "up to" 3 hrs! ? That may work if you had a massive bank?.. Anyway... I'll play around with this, but I still think there's some other OB setting that's not allowing the GT Sell Relay to Close when the PV is still cranking and all the loads are met?

Thanks for all your feedback....
For the FNDC the "Charge Termination Control" function is enabled by default in the FNDC Advanced Menu. This is enabled on my Radian systems and Outback for the Discover batteries also expects that it be enabled. With the FNDC "Charge Termination Control" enabled, the FNDC terminates the charge based on the Charged Voltage, Charged Time and Charged Return Amps being all met. Are you following the recommended FNDC settings in the OB Discover App Note http://outbackpower.com/downloads/docum ... p_note.pdf?

The OB Discover AN states the at rest voltage for the Discover batteries is ~53.5V and recommends a sell voltage of 53.2. Absorb voltage is recommended at 54.4V on inverter and 54.8V on CC for 0.5 to 3 hours.
[/quote]
Rob Bennett

fcwlp
Forum Guru

Post by fcwlp » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:02 pm

Rob, there is also a App Note from Discover at https://app.box.com/s/8n9d4x8jugaz4xj2x7fc75obiu002wxm. Looks to have the same info as the OB AN.