OB ProHarvest in Commercial Rooftop Applications

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Grid Tie Applications

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

AltPowerRob
Forum Expert
My RE system: DC-Coupled Grid-Tied w/ Battery Backup & Multiple Arrays: Outback Radian 8048A Grid-Interactive w/ (2) Discover LiFePO4 6.6KWH batteries. 6.4KW Total PV on (2) Arrays: (1) DC-coupled w/ (18) SW300s on (3) strings of (6 ea) via an FM100 CC & (1) w/ (3) SW300s w/ Enphase IQ6 Micros Grid-Tied direct. 7.5KW 30A 240V Portable Gas Gen manual inlet for occasional longer-term outage backup. Monitoring w/ Optics, AES Dashboard & Enlighten.

OB ProHarvest in Commercial Rooftop Applications

Post by AltPowerRob » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:00 am

Does anyone have experience using this product line? Is the product quality there? The install looks pretty painless :) The communications gateway / setup looks a little clunky? We're considering using this design on a small commercial facility & are looking for some "real-life" feedback before going down this road w/ our client... vs. using conventional string inverter setup from another manufacturer.. Please add value if you can :) Thanks!
Rob Bennett
Principal, E.I.T.(CEM(EE)), Designer/Master Electrician
Alternative Power Solutions

AltPowerRob
Forum Expert
My RE system: DC-Coupled Grid-Tied w/ Battery Backup & Multiple Arrays: Outback Radian 8048A Grid-Interactive w/ (2) Discover LiFePO4 6.6KWH batteries. 6.4KW Total PV on (2) Arrays: (1) DC-coupled w/ (18) SW300s on (3) strings of (6 ea) via an FM100 CC & (1) w/ (3) SW300s w/ Enphase IQ6 Micros Grid-Tied direct. 7.5KW 30A 240V Portable Gas Gen manual inlet for occasional longer-term outage backup. Monitoring w/ Optics, AES Dashboard & Enlighten.

Re: OB ProHarvest in Commercial Rooftop Applications

Post by AltPowerRob » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:24 pm

Thanks Kurt.. I have heard that there's been some equipment failures w/ these units? I'm hoping that there's someone on here, from Outback or not (even better) that can solidify our desire to use or not to use?.. I love the concept / configuration that these offer and I'm sure we can figure out the monitoring system... but I don't want to place a great client in a bad spot w/ less than high-quality equipment (even if they have a good warranty @ 10 yr. base & buy up options..).
Rob Bennett

guerrillasolarguy
Forum Member
My RE system: Flexware 500 with two FX3648 Grid tied with a modest battery bank. 7200 watts of Solarworld. One FM80 wired two panels in series, the other wired in three. Mate 2.

Post by guerrillasolarguy » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:22 am

We have had two ProHarvest inverters on our building because we needed a 3 phase inverter. First one failed within two months. $700 for the unit to monitor them (way overpriced!!!!) so we didn't get one. Didn't know it was out. Outback replaced it quickly but now the replacement unit has failed just a few months later. It is a great idea, just wish it was reliable and the monitoring was reasonable. I've been working with Outback equipment since I went to SEI in 2006 and I own a system on my own house. What happened to the reliability? Boss and building owner is ready to throw it into a scrap pile and get a Fronius.
"Every home should be built with a critical loads panel and an Outback" The mate 3 should be thrown overboard.

AltPowerRob
Forum Expert

Post by AltPowerRob » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:42 am

guerrillasolarguy wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:22 am
We have had two ProHarvest inverters on our building because we needed a 3 phase inverter. First one failed within two months. $700 for the unit to monitor them (way overpriced!!!!) so we didn't get one. Didn't know it was out. Outback replaced it quickly but now the replacement unit has failed just a few months later. It is a great idea, just wish it was reliable and the monitoring was reasonable. I've been working with Outback equipment since I went to SEI in 2006 and I own a system on my own house. What happened to the reliability? Boss and building owner is ready to throw it into a scrap pile and get a Fronius.
Thanks for this feedback! We decided to stay away from this product due to much similar feedback we were getting from other end-users.. It is really too bad that a quality company like Outback would try to market an inferior product like this !.. There are other ways to get into the commercial market without just buying something that already had issues and was readily available.. and then put your name on it?.. If I'm correct?, I believe they are or already have gone away from this boondoggle! .. Can an Outback Rep chime in here?
Rob Bennett

Paul Dailey
OutBack Product Management

Post by Paul Dailey » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:19 pm

I'm very sorry to hear about your troubles with the ProHarvest product. We have discontinued the product line, but continue to honor our warranties on existing products to the best of our ability.
Paul Dailey
Director, Product and Market Strategy

OutBack Power Technologies
http://www.OutBackPower.com

guerrillasolarguy
Forum Member
My RE system: Flexware 500 with two FX3648 Grid tied with a modest battery bank. 7200 watts of Solarworld. One FM80 wired two panels in series, the other wired in three. Mate 2.

Post by guerrillasolarguy » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:35 am

It's been a week since I put in a request with Outback to help troubleshoot and have not heard back. Not happy.
"Every home should be built with a critical loads panel and an Outback" The mate 3 should be thrown overboard.

guerrillasolarguy
Forum Member

Post by guerrillasolarguy » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:10 pm

It has been several weeks and no reply from Outback. If this was on a customer's commercial building, they would be very upset. I'm starting to wonder if Outback Power sold out to other corporate interests and now has lost it's way. The initial pioneers who started the company are all gone now and there is nobody around with enough spine to say....I think we are headed in the wrong direction. Change my mind.

Mark Walters
Applications Engineering

Post by Mark Walters » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:30 am

Guerrilliasolarguy, I have been PMing you for two weeks now, trying to arrange a conversation. Please contact me at mwalters@outbackpower.com or 360 618-4316

Thanks

Mark Walters