SkyBox Specs / Application

Discussion about OutBack Inverters in Grid Tie Applications

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

SkyBox Specs / Application

Postby AltPowerRob on Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:45 am

I'm reviewing the Spec Sheet for the New SBX5048-120/240.. I'm working to design this into an upcoming project, but have some Q's...
1. What is the Grid-Interactive Rating? I see a Max Cont. Output AC, but that would be for a "backed up loads panel".. how much power can we expect this unit to push back to the grid for "sell-back offset"?
2. Is there a guide produced on "paralleling" multiple units?.. i.e. I need the "backed up loads" to be around 50A.. so I'd need (2) of these units in parallel, etc.. or i.e. I want to offset 50KWH's of energy per day on a large residence.. so do I have to pass 1/2 of my PV around the SkyBox and do a conventional "grid-tie" connection to get the rest of this offset energy to the grid?

Thanks for any insight you can lend at this point!

Rob
Rob Bennett
Principal, E.I.T.(CEM(EE)), Designer/Master Electrician
Alternative Power Solutions
AltPowerRob
Forum Member

My RE system: DC-Coupled Grid-Tied w/ Battery Backup & Multiple Arrays: Outback Radian 8048A Grid-Interactive w/ Discover LiFePO4 6.6KWH battery (monitoring locally w/ Schneider Conext Combox/SCP). 6.4KW Total PV on (2) Arrays: (1) DC-coupled w/ (18) SW300s on (3) strings of (6 ea) via an FM100 CC & (1) w/ (3) SW300s w/ Enphase Micros Grid-Tied direct. 7.5KW 30A 240V Portable Gas Gen manual inlet for occasional longer-term outage backup. Monitoring w/ Optics, Conext & Enlighten.

Re: SkyBox Specs / Application

Postby Gwendoly Espe on Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:00 am

The SkyBox produces 5kW, in any direction. It's different from the Radian. It can sell up to it's full 5kW rating.
SkyBox has all of the hardware to support stacking
Gwendoly Espe
Applications Engineer

Alpha Technologies Inc. / OutBack Power Technologies
3767 Alpha Way Bellingham WA 98226 USA
http://www.alpha.com
Gwendoly Espe
Applications Engineering

Postby NotGrounded on Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:08 pm

Is it possible with SkyBox to have more than 5kW on the AC output in some type of pass-through mode when grid connected like the Radian? Are there any specs on what surge currents it can handle? What is the best solution to deal with occasional peak loads that might exceed 5kW?
NotGrounded
Forum Junior Member

Postby Gwendoly Espe on Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:09 am

Up to 240Vac @ 60Aac pass-through from grid.

Here is a link to the SkyBox Page on our website and there will also be webinars on SkyBox as well in the future. Look out!
Gwendoly Espe
Applications Engineer

Alpha Technologies Inc. / OutBack Power Technologies
3767 Alpha Way Bellingham WA 98226 USA
http://www.alpha.com
Gwendoly Espe
Applications Engineering

Return to Grid Tie Applications