Generator charging problem

General Talk

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

Generator charging problem

Postby bajarick on Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:56 am

Hello all,
I haven't been back to the forum for quite a while. Solar is great when all is working! 2005/06 is when my system went in. MX60, 24 volt GTFX 2500 inverter and a Honda 3000ei generator, 1600 watts of panels and Rolls batteries. The GTFX was a mistake....took bad advice from a vendor. I'm completely off grid but the guy told me it would work, and it does, just luckily I got the generator that works with it. In the last couple months the generator will give a big burp and overload when charging. When I checked how much the GTFX was pulling with my TriMetric meter I was seeing 60-70 amps. I went through the mate steps to get me to the right page and moved max generator input down to 40amp. Generator still kicked out and the reading on the TriMetric was still 60+ amps. Changed the input down to 30 but with the same results.
I am replacing the Mate soon. (Outback is covering it after all this time!) The soft keys are the problem....especially the last one. I have to take it apart, pull the soft keys off, and use a different soft key on the contacts I need to hit. When I change things that way it seems to be working but the input limit for the generator isn't changing anything.
Luckily I live where there is plenty of sun....except right now! Any ideas of what I should look at? I'm going to change the spark plug and air filter tomorrow on the generator. I won't get the Mate replacement til next month.
Thanks
Rick
bajarick
Forum Member

My RE system: 24V Outback inverter, mx60, 8 400 Ah Surrettes, 2 KC 120 panels, 2 KC 125 panels, 2 Matrix/Photowatt 165 panels (24V), 4 205 watt Evergreen panels

Re: Generator charging problem

Postby bajarick on Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:09 pm

After re-reading the owners manual I seem to be doing everything right in changing how much the charger should be drawing from either the "grid" or the generator. I've played with both input settings but the TriMetric still tells me the GTFX is pulling too many amps. Any hints as to what to try next?
bajarick
Forum Member

My RE system: 24V Outback inverter, mx60, 8 400 Ah Surrettes, 2 KC 120 panels, 2 KC 125 panels, 2 Matrix/Photowatt 165 panels (24V), 4 205 watt Evergreen panels

Postby sparksalot on Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:02 pm

This may be way off base, but I'll take a shot at this. :smile:

Might you have a defective battery cell in the bank???

I see that you have 2 strings each of 4 x 6volt batteries...don't know your battery's age or condition, but you could, for test purposes, split off to 2 single strings at still 24V and see how each half behaves independently???
It is one way to see if one string or the other is causing your issue.
Depending on finding anything out you can narrow down the chase. :wink:
sparksalot
Forum Guru

My RE system: FLEXpower TWO VFXR3648A Grid-Tied and Battery Backup Hybrid

Traction battery FLA 48 volt 805Ahr.

30 SolarWorld 245w mono

Postby bajarick on Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:04 pm

Thanks for the reply sparksalot. My profile hasn't been updated for a long time. Batteries are fresh. Less than six months old. Sun was out all day so I didn't mess with the generator today. The batteries are floating by noon off the panels. When on the generator,the batteries get to about 90% and the FX charger limits out what it's taking from the generator just like it should. I can't seem to put a limit on how much the FX charger takes when the batteries are in bulk mode. I should be able to control that shouldn't I? I've got absorb set at 28.7 on the FX.
bajarick
Forum Member

Postby sparksalot on Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:03 pm

You didn't say, but, If those Rolls Batteries are lead acid it looks like settings are to be 27.0V for float and bulk/absorb is to be 30.0V.
sparksalot
Forum Guru

My RE system: FLEXpower TWO VFXR3648A Grid-Tied and Battery Backup Hybrid

Traction battery FLA 48 volt 805Ahr.

30 SolarWorld 245w mono

Postby bajarick on Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:21 am

Thanks. The settings I use for the generator charging are different from the solar input.
bajarick
Forum Member

Return to OutBack