Running a WALK IN FREEZER off grid

General Talk

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

Running a WALK IN FREEZER off grid

Postby dirtdoctor on Fri May 29, 2015 6:29 pm

Our Farm is totally off grid thanks to outback power - Have been so for 9 years. We raise Pastured Pork and I need to get a walk in freezer- The trick is I am building it inside of a Bus- (The MEAT CLUB bus). So I need to get the right system to power the freezer. The bus will travel around so I need to ensure that the panels will be solidly mounted on the roof.

Freezer is 230 V 3/4 - 1 hp motor for the compressor. I have room for batteries on the bus- and would also put a honda generator or Onan RV generator with AUTO Start functions. In addition to a plug in incase I park where electricity is available.

I would buy the largest Wattage panels available so to have plenty of juice incase I can add on later.

What would you suggest? 12 volt system? Since the bus is 12V

Thank you for your input- I only have enough time to do this right.
Jack
www.californiakurobuta.com
Grabbing Life by the belly fat and giving it a Twist!! Loving my wife, kids, enjoying the outdoors, a cuppa nice coffee and watching the clouds go by. Feeding 100's of chickens, two wonderdogs, one cat, and a Glock or two.
dirtdoctor
Forum Member

My RE system: two mx 60, mate, trimetric, 24 - 170W panels, 3 x 8 x 6 volt L-16's 10 kw Diesel generator, I am working on a micro hydro system and can not wait to get it wired in and running. 48 volt system

Re: Running a WALK IN FREEZER off grid

Postby Solar Jason on Sat May 30, 2015 6:53 am

When you park it when you are not selling your meat, will the freezer be on the whole time and will you plugging it in when at your farm, or will it need to run on solar most of the time?
Solar Jason
Forum Guru

Postby blackswan555 on Sat May 30, 2015 7:19 am

Would have to know more about your loads to give a good answer, But the motor starting amps may be a little much for 12v ?
Whilst on the subject of motor & refrigeration equipment, If it is to run much & door opened often, careful consideration when sourcing & installing it should be taken, If you can, Go for an inverter type compressor, That will cure the Starting surge & they are more efficient,

Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
Forum Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Postby dirtdoctor on Sat May 30, 2015 8:41 am

Two birds one stone...

Yes when the bus is parked- I have the option of plugging it into my Personal Power company.
Ideally running two small freezers 120v or one large walk in 230 V.

Great idea about inverter type compressor- It will be opened and closed quite a bit on the market days- But most times is is closed.

Freezers with mass (read FULL of product) retain alot of their energy- So the compressor will not need to run that much at night. I currently have all my freezers in the garage and their draw at night is slight. (I even put them on a timer to shut down in the 3am - 7am time frame when the daylight hours were diminished.

I run 48 volts at the house- two arrays and two Huge forklift batteries.

I will search for the load- for the 1hp compressor motor. Then I can over build for later.

Thanks
Jack
Grabbing Life by the belly fat and giving it a Twist!! Loving my wife, kids, enjoying the outdoors, a cuppa nice coffee and watching the clouds go by. Feeding 100's of chickens, two wonderdogs, one cat, and a Glock or two.
dirtdoctor
Forum Member

My RE system: two mx 60, mate, trimetric, 24 - 170W panels, 3 x 8 x 6 volt L-16's 10 kw Diesel generator, I am working on a micro hydro system and can not wait to get it wired in and running. 48 volt system

Postby dirtdoctor on Sat May 30, 2015 9:01 am

This is the compressor motor for the unit.

1 HP (3.0 amps @ 208V, 1750 RPM, 25 LRA, 60Hz)

Jack
dirtdoctor
Forum Member

Postby blackswan555 on Sun May 31, 2015 4:30 am

25a LRA x 208v = 5200w as a Locked Rotor Amp (start current) That's 433a at 12v, Bit much :-)

If you are going to open them a lot, chest freezers are better (top filling/lid on top) As unlike an upright the cold does not fall out on the floor every time you open the door, Also most forget the need for good ventilation to the condenser,

Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
Forum Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Postby arpitkakkar1 on Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:40 am

chest freezer are used in keep biological samples so it need high load and power, its a cold storage equipment which is used to keep vaccine and it works on very low temperature.
arpitkakkar1
Forum Member

My RE system: i don't have it.

Postby EMCF on Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:43 am

Agree that 12V inverter system will be too much for the batteries to handle during starting. If you don't want to go for a 48V system, 24V system should be ok, at least no 433A of starting current, only half of it;-). My curious question is what kind of North American type Outback inverter do you have in mind to produce 208VAC? Domestic inverters (except Radian) by themselves (without stacking) have an output of only 120VAC.
EMCF
Forum Expert

My RE system: FX3048, 4 200a batteries, FM60. 3 kw array

Postby John89Miller on Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:40 am

I watched the report on the best freezers and stopped just Kenmore Elite 27003 here - https://grapefrost.com/upright-freezers/
John89Miller
Forum Junior Member

Return to OutBack