Alino ATL3024E Temp Compensation - AGM Battery Charging

General Talk

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

Jesse.Bill
Forum Junior Member
My RE system: Currently designing a new system.

Alino ATL3024E Temp Compensation - AGM Battery Charging

Post by Jesse.Bill » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:48 pm

Hi,

I am looking at setting up a system using the Alino ATL3024E.

I see on Pg. 28 of the manual that there is no temp sensing functionality so, I am wondering if anyone can help me out with what to do regarding charging AGM batteries with this unit.

http://www.outbackpower.com/downloads/d ... manual.pdf

Any info on this will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Jesse

fcwlp
Forum Guru
My RE system: GS8048A, FM80 w/3,600 W PV Fixed, FM80 w/2,700W on Zomeworks tracker, Mate3, 24 Trojan 2V L16 1100AH @ C20, Grid-Tied with Kohler 14RESA LPG Generator and MEP-803 Diesel if needed
I also install and maintain grid-tied and off-grid systems, details will be given for these system if required

Re: Alino ATL3024E Temp Compensation - AGM Battery Charging

Post by fcwlp » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:14 pm

Hi Jesse,

I had heard of the Alino, but as it is not available in the US, I have no experience with it.

Two questions:
1) What is your planned use for the system? Will it be as a backup system, staying primarily in float or will you be cycling in an off-grid system.
2) What environment are your batteries in? What is the range of ambient temperatures.

Jesse.Bill
Forum Junior Member

Post by Jesse.Bill » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:28 pm

Thanks for your Reply.

I will be using it in an off-grid setup - Approx 3.5kWh usage per day, 2.79kW of Array, Cells are these - https://drive.google.com/file/d/10kiFlJ ... sp=sharing

Batteries will be in a shed, max ambient temp where I am won't go above 30 or below 0 Celsius.

raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower One: FX3048T, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
Outback 200NC batteries (8 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
Suniva 330 watt panels (12 - 6 strings of 2 in series)
Hyundai 355 watt panels (6 - 3 strings of 2 in series)
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator

Post by raysun » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:31 am

AGM (sealed) batteries are particularly sensitive to overcharging, which can cause excessive gas formation, overwhelming the catalytic recombination of hydrogen and oxygen, and off-gassing through the pressure relief valves. This result is loss of water from the electrolyte and permanent capacity loss.

Undercharging can lead to sulfate buildup and capacity loss. A periodic "freshening" (a.k.a. equalization) charge can help reduce buildup and prolong battery life. The trick will be to know how often and how long to apply the charge.

Sealed lead acid batteries start out with the highest cost per cycle of the lead acid battery class, largely due to higher unit cost and shorter cycle life. This is compounded by the difficulty in knowing when they are properly charged, as there's no practical method to test. IMO, uncompensated charging is not a good fit with VRLA (sealed) batteries.

It seems a serious omission that the charging circuit does not include temperature compensation. There are three options:

• Manually adjust charging voltages (absorb and float) to compensate for average ambient temperature. Seasonal changes would be beneficial to keep charging approximately at the proper charging voltage.

• Adjust ambient air temperature to keep the battery at a temperature aligned with the charging voltage set points. Combining battery room heating and cooling with seasonal charging voltage adjustments would permit safer battery charging. The ambient temperature would need to be fairly tightly controlled, however, to be a fully effective strategy. The range between 25 and 30 represents a lot of variance when it comes to charging, as does the range between 20 and 25.

This would seem largely impractical for a small system, other than using a fan to circulate air to retard heat buildup a bit.

• Use a battery type more tolerant to, or unaffected by, non-temperature compensated charging.

Flooded lead acid batteries, when overcharged, also experience accelerated loss of water from the electrolyte, but it can be replaced. Overcharging also contributes to grid corrosion in the battery, so will shorten service life. Calcium is often added to the grid material to resist corrosion. Undercharging results in sulfate buildup and capacity loss. Seasonal target charging voltage adjustments will help somewhat. Regular specific gravity measurements of the electrolyte will help assure charging is being completed properly. Equalization charges will likely be necessary on a periodic basis.

Lithium batteries are relatively unaffected by temperature when it comes to charging. They should not be charged in < 0°C temperatures, but are tolerant of ambient temperatures above that. While significantly more expensive, the longer cycle life and tolerance to temperature may make lithium batteries the better choice.

Jesse.Bill
Forum Junior Member

Post by Jesse.Bill » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:55 pm

Thanks for all this info!

I got the batteries for free... So, I will use them.

Thanks for the advice.

raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower One: FX3048T, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
Outback 200NC batteries (8 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
Suniva 330 watt panels (12 - 6 strings of 2 in series)
Hyundai 355 watt panels (6 - 3 strings of 2 in series)
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator

Post by raysun » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:35 pm

Jesse.Bill wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:55 pm
Thanks for all this info!

I got the batteries for free... So, I will use them.

Thanks for the advice.
That is a most excellent price! Do they have another set kicking around? LOL!

With uncompensated charging plan on replacing them in about four years.

Or look at the Outback Flexpower prewired panels, not as pretty as the Alino, but better match for VRLA.

Or if they sell in your market, the Victron Easy Solar all in one.