Charge controller dead again

General Talk

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

Toma7400
Forum Junior Member

Charge controller dead again

Post by Toma7400 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:18 am

I have an Outback system with a Flex Max 60 charge controller. When it was first installed the electricians had the array configured to feed 150 volts to the controller. It quit working almost immediately and they replaced it and reconfigured the array to provide 100v. I was able to use it during the day to power an air conditioner.

My battery bank leaves a lot to be desired. I am running 4 Walmart deep cycle batteries in series at 48 volts. Although they say fully charged there is never enough power to run more than a few minutes after the sun goes down. I have had to return 2 of them because they load tested bad.

The system has been dormant for a while because we have survivors of the Paridise fire living in the house and did not want to bother them with switching so the house has been running on utility power.

Recently I checked and the charge controller is dead again. I am wondering if 100 volts is too much and if I should reconfigure to closer to 48 volts. I also wonder if my battery bank contributed to the failure.

My wife ordered and is paying for this system because she believes in renewable energy. It would be good to have it working now because of the California blackouts although we have not had one here yet. I have not talked to her about it yet, I don't know if there is any warranty coverage or not, also can anyone tell me if there is any chance Outback would repair it.

Tom Armstrong
Labuelita Ranch, Mariposa CA

Toma7400
Forum Junior Member

Re: Charge controller dead again

Post by Toma7400 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:43 am

Correction, it is a Flex Max 80

IanMcCluskey
OutBack Product Management

Post by IanMcCluskey » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:44 pm

Hello Tom, sorry to hear about this! It is hard to tell what is causing the failure without more info, it should not fail at 100V.

We know the recent fires have affected many of our customers' live in California, and we want to make sure you have support. I will send you a private message with some questions to help us figure out the best way.

In the meantime, I would encourage any forum users with reliable installers in the Mariposa area to join the conversation.
Ian McCluskey
Product Manager

Alpha Technologies Inc. / OutBack Power Technologies
3767 Alpha Way Bellingham WA 98226 USA
http://www.alpha.com

sodamo
Forum Czar
My RE system: Totally off grid - Hamakua side, Big Island, Hi

36 Trina 280 & 16 Phono 250 in 48 volt array (fixed) 14080w
Radians GG8048/GS4048 w GSLCs
4 FM 80 charge controllers
Hub 10.3
FNDC w/3 shunts
Mate 3s
OpticsRE - MMKL - Ninole Hi
12 SimpliPhi 3.8
14Kw Kohler 14RESA Propane

Charging Only
2FX3048T
Hub
FNDC. - shared shunt feeds from Radian FNDC
Mate 3s
10Kw MEP 803a Military gen

Honda EU7000i

Davis VantagePro2 Wx Station
On line at: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KHININOL2

Post by sodamo » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:04 pm

May I encourage you to fill out your profile with all components of your system? Just really hard sometimes to answer questions when variables are unknown.
David
Please visit http://vacation.ninolehawaii.com

provo
Forum Guru
My RE system: Sixteen Evergreen EC-120
(4 strings, total 1920W)
Eight Rolls S-550 (2 strings, total ~800Ah @ 24V)
One FM80
One VFXR3524A
Hub 10
Mate3s
FNDC and Trimetric

Post by provo » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:10 am

I'm in the same area as Toma, and I had no problems, but my friend down the road had his fridge compressor blow up during the process of restoring power. It looks like there were some voltage surges here and there.

Ooops, I just noticed that you weren't affected by the blackouts. Sorry to butt in :???: