Inverter shows AC in, orange light on, but doesn't seem to be charging the batteries. Voltage on mate won't go above 26v

General Talk

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

smiffy
Forum Member

Inverter shows AC in, orange light on, but doesn't seem to be charging the batteries. Voltage on mate won't go above 26v

Post by smiffy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:17 am

Hoping someone can help.

Just had new bank of batteries 12 X 2v for our 24v system. Problem is when we manually connect the generator to charge the batteries, the inverter shows AC in, with the orange light, the mate shows that the system is buying but the voltage on the mate won't go above 26 v.

Example last night. Mate shows voltage of 23.8v, so we want to charge the batteries with the generator. Hook up the generator and all looks good, but after 45mins the mate is still on 26v. When we turn off the generator and the inverter churns for about 15 mins the voltage on the mate shows 23.8v, so doesn't appear to have put any charge in the batteries?

Also, to note...with the old bank of batteries, the mate would show something like 28.2v after using the generator and 25.2v (full) after the inverter churning.

Upshot is, why isn't generator charging the batteries as before?

Thanks in advance.

raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower One: FX3048T, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
Outback 200NC batteries (8 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
Suniva 330 watt panels (12 - 6 strings of 2 in series)
Hyundai 355 watt panels (6 - 3 strings of 2 in series)
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator

Re: Inverter shows AC in, orange light on, but doesn't seem to be charging the batteries. Voltage on mate won't go above

Post by raysun » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:00 am

Have you checked the settings for on the inverter:
[AC Input]
Generator Input AC Limit
Charger AC Input Limit

[Battery Charging]
All parameters are correct for a 24V battery

[Mode]
Charger Operating Mode - ON or AUTO

smiffy
Forum Member

Re: Inverter shows AC in, orange light on, but doesn't seem to be charging the batteries. Voltage on mate won't go above

Post by smiffy » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:40 am

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Could you tell me what the following should show and how I get there?

Generator Input AC Limit
Charger AC Input Limit

[Battery Charging]

[Mode]

I'm thinking that these would be checked/altered using the mate?

Thanks.

raysun
Forum Emperor

Post by raysun » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:33 am

Yes, they can be set using the Mate. Also and be set using OpticsRE.

Is OpticsRE enabled?

smiffy
Forum Member

Post by smiffy » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:13 pm

Hi, no, opticsRE is not enabled.

When using the mate, what should the readings be for

Generator Input AC Limit
Charger AC Input Limit

[Battery Charging]

[Mode]

Many thanks.

IanMcCluskey
OutBack Product Management

Post by IanMcCluskey » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:31 pm

Hi Smiffy, that depends on your batteries. If you paid an installer to install the system, they would be the best party to program those settings.
Ian McCluskey
Product Manager

Alpha Technologies Inc. / OutBack Power Technologies
3767 Alpha Way Bellingham WA 98226 USA
http://www.alpha.com

smiffy
Forum Member

Post by smiffy » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:42 pm

Hi Ian, many thanks. I'll get the installer to help me with that.

It's been cloudy, but bright, here today and the day ended with 24v.

We are going to run the generator again, in the morning, for around 90mins (as suggested by the installer),1 to see if it will go above 26v, as we only ran it for 45mins previously.

Thanks for your help.

raysun
Forum Emperor

Post by raysun » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:46 pm

IanMcCluskey wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:31 pm
Hi Smiffy, that depends on your batteries. If you paid an installer to install the system, they would be the best party to program those settings.
Ian, of course, has given the most practical advice.

Out of curiosity, what type of battery is the system using (battery brand and model.)

smiffy
Forum Member

Post by smiffy » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:53 pm

Thanks guys. I can't remember, off the top of my head, so I'll take a look tomorrow.

Kind regards.

smiffy
Forum Member

Post by smiffy » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:02 am

Ok, here's some pictures of the batteries.

This morning the mate was showing 25.8v, so we thought we'd try the generator again, to see if it went above the 26v. It again showed that the system was buying 2.4kw and went up to 28.2v on the mate, but wouldn't go any further. We switched off the generator and the mate went back down to 25.8v. So the generator still seems to not be charging the batteries.

Installer is coming out this afternoon, so I'll get him to check the settings on the inverter as per your suggestion below

[AC Input]
Generator Input AC Limit
Charger AC Input Limit

[Battery Charging]

[Mode]

Thanks.

smiffy
Forum Member

Post by smiffy » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:09 am

Picture of the batteries.
Attachments
15731320812591582343108.jpg
Batteries

raysun
Forum Emperor

Post by raysun » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:51 am

Those are capable, and expensive batteries. Also, its critical to get charging right for them, and to cycle no more than once a day. Overcharging can lead to permanent bubbles in the electrolyte, separating it from the lead plates, causing permanent loss of capacity.

It would be well to get your installer involved to get the settings right. Without seeing the set parameters,its hard to say for sure, but I'd guess something is not set correctly. When your installer does the work, take a note (or picture) of every setting that is checked/adjusted, so you have a record for your system.

BTW. I believe Outback sells this type of battery, and may have charging profile for it. Contacting tech support may yield useful information.

smiffy
Forum Member

Post by smiffy » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:26 am

Okay, thanks. That's great information.

Will try the generator again, but for longer and see if that makes a difference.

Much appreciated.

raysun
Forum Emperor

Post by raysun » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:46 pm

Screenshot_20191107-152904_Drive.jpg
The above is from the Eternity website for their OPzS battery.

I'm not an expert on this battery, but looking at the specs, it looks like a standard Bulk, Absorb (Boost), Float charge cycle is appropriate.

It looks like they can take a substantial charging current: 60 to several hundred Amps.

Reading the specs, it looks like these would be proper (please check with your vendor to be sure):

Charge current 60 - 200 Amps

Absorb voltage: 28.8
Absorb time: 2 hours

Float voltage: 26.7
Float time 24 hours

These can be set via the Mate.

smiffy
Forum Member

Post by smiffy » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:42 am

Wow, thanks very much for that raysun. Much appreciated.

We did manage to get the batteries charged last night as we let the generator run for a full 2 hours.

It seems that the inverter will not allow a charge of more than 10amps, so this is why it takes a few hours to see any changes in the system.

Just relieved to know that the inverter is accepting a charge from the generator!

Between us and the installer, we will keep monitoring the process over the winter. Hopefully, we will not have to use the generator much as our panels are quite large. It's just that we've had a few weeks of dull, wet weather and we wanted to keep the batteries topped up and not get too low, before having to use the generator.

Many thanks to everyone for your quick responses and help.

Kind regards.

raysun
Forum Emperor

Post by raysun » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:26 am

Not sure what inverter is being used, but the Outback units set maximum charger current in AC Amps. A 10AAC input @ 220V can result in over 90ADC @ 24V.

It's important to be sure the charge going into the battery is sufficient to fully charge it. Unfortunately, measuring terminal voltage is not an accurate method to determine state of charge - unless the battery is disconnected from any load and allowed to "rest" for at least 24 hours before measurements are taken. This is hardly practical with most systems. Tracking charge into and out of the battery, combined with setting the proper charge profile in the chargers (solar and AC) is necessary.

Should you have questions about your system in the future, answers will be more on-point if your forum profile is completed with the exact system components that comprise your renewable energy system.

Cheers!